Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th August 2021, 16:52   #1
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Default Electrical woes....

Hi all,

I'm having some electrical woes on my diesel after sorting some water ingress issues. The car is now dry and I have rebuilt the interior with a new carpet etc...

I put a battery on the car today (it's been a bit of a project!) And it seems I have electrical gremlins - these were not evident when I took the car off the road to sort the interior and water ingress. Basically when turning the ignition off and removing the key, the IPK and trip computer stay lit & the windscreen wipers begin to wipe. It sound like the alarm is sounding too, very very faintly.

I've read several accounts of this happening and I have systematically ruled out the following:

1) ECU is dry - the plenum has always been clean and dry since I've had the car. There is no chance this has got wet (it's also in a protective plastic casing within the plenum)

2) I have unplugged all of the highline kit in the boot - this has made no difference and the boot has always been bone dry.

3) I have tried u plugging the unit with the headlamp switches on, as I read an account of this causing issues.

Where do I check next? Could this be the BCU? Assuming something has been wet when I had the water ingress and it's damaged some component or other...

Would a T4 be able to see what's going on or is it trial and error?

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 17:08   #2
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Has the car got a sunroof? if it has PM me
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 17:12   #3
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Has the car got a sunroof? if it has PM me
Yes it has - which was part of the water ingress issues which have been rectified.

Old 4th August 2021, 17:57   #4
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

PM sent try it and let me know
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 19:58   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Have a look at the EWS on the drivers A pillar Tim (I'm sure Dave's PM will be saying much the same) If it has taken a swim then it will need replacing.
Old 6th August 2021, 09:23   #6
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Have a look at the EWS on the drivers A pillar Tim (I'm sure Dave's PM will be saying much the same) If it has taken a swim then it will need replacing.
I've had to replace a couple of these due to water. The last one was completely burnt and crumbling. They are a huge fire hazard too if they get wet due to the amount of current that passes through Luckily I managed to dump the chip and clone it to a new one.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 18:34   #7
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Hi all - thanks so much for the suggestions. I've tried pretty much everything apart from the EWS now.

I don't believe it to be the BCU, because the window switches are all working the correct windows and no errors on the dashboard.

I did clean up all the earthing points and this seems to have stopped the wipers going off, but the alarm is sounding all the time (no indicators flashing - and I've pulled the alarm fuse to stop it). The central locking will unlock but not lock (even putting the key in the driver's door manually doesn't operate the central locking when locking).

Annoyingly I bought a TS30 security torx but but it doesn't fit the bolts holding the EWS for some reason. If I do get this off and confirm it's the culprit does a new one need to be coded to the car?

Grrr!

Old 9th August 2021, 21:32   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastienclement View Post
Hi all - thanks so much for the suggestions. I've tried pretty much everything apart from the EWS now.

I don't believe it to be the BCU, because the window switches are all working the correct windows and no errors on the dashboard.

I did clean up all the earthing points and this seems to have stopped the wipers going off, but the alarm is sounding all the time (no indicators flashing - and I've pulled the alarm fuse to stop it). The central locking will unlock but not lock (even putting the key in the driver's door manually doesn't operate the central locking when locking).

Annoyingly I bought a TS30 security torx but but it doesn't fit the bolts holding the EWS for some reason. If I do get this off and confirm it's the culprit does a new one need to be coded to the car?

Grrr!

You need a 5 point security Torx Tim (Sorry cant remember the code) Yes the new EWS will require your cars details adding to it before it will work.
Old 9th August 2021, 21:39   #9
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

It's a T30 torx plus 5 sided tamperproof - seems a rare kind, most sellers are in USA. I need one myself and now with silly Ebay postage (Global shipping) and handling charges of £7 to Swedish customs it's getting very difficult to find. Still, a large cold chisel and a lump hammer work too

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2021, 21:43   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

I really don't know why they put security torx in there, its hard enough to remove being where it is without the need for special bolts.