Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th August 2021, 17:51   #11
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticMrFish View Post
Throttle pressing reset? I'm intrigued
Ronnie was close! Turn the ignition on but do not start the engine. Fully press and release the accelerator five times. Turn the ignition off then start the car. That should reset the throttle position sensor.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 18:33   #12
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Check for any obvious leaks and repair , but to get a base line to work from you need replenish your coolant ensuring that you bleed from the metal pipe above the clutch housing . Also ensure that your oil level is on the mark so you can monitor that as well .Has your oil level dropped ? or has it actually increased ?
Check the fan operation 106 c cut in and the engine temp on the IPK Then obviously run the car and check for leaks and any other symptoms, then monitor your engine levels and temperatures . Carrying out the above with put you in a better position to diagnose your problem
Your miss fire is only secondary to your coolant loss which potentially could cause you greater problems

As others have said the inlet manifold gasket can be a problem , Usually causing rough running on start up but clearing as the water is evaporated out the cylinders , affects either cylinder 1 or 4 and can tell by checking the plug
But with the age of the cars potentially leaks can be from any part of the system or the head gasket A system pressure test wouldn't hurt to trace leaks Also check your expansion cap

Oil leak at the front of the engine under the manifold can be associated with the oil filter and if a turbo the oil feed pipe , return pipe ,also oil can leak down from the cam cover or externally from the head gasket particularly if an MLS gasket fitted
Have you any record of the car having an head gasket ? The cam belt date could be a possibility

Last edited by TourerSteve; 5th August 2021 at 19:04..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 19:07   #13
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm going to have a busy weekend. I'll go through the papers but I don't think I noticed anything head gasket related.

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk
FantasticMrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 19:16   #14
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

I wouldn't get hung up on the idea the head gasket might be away, there are far simpler reasons for losing coolant and oil to investigate first.

T4 Location Map
Old 5th August 2021, 19:57   #15
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
I wouldn't get hung up on the idea the head gasket might be away, there are far simpler reasons for losing coolant and oil to investigate first.
As Steve says don't get hung up on the head gasket , as plenty of other reasons for coolant loss , I asked the question for a bit of history on the car .
As advised in my post you need to replenish your coolant, to ultimately prevent your car from overheating while you diagnose your coolant loss

Last edited by TourerSteve; 5th August 2021 at 20:01..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2021, 14:46   #16
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
As Steve says don't get hung up on the head gasket , as plenty of other reasons for coolant loss , I asked the question for a bit of history on the car .
As advised in my post you need to replenish your coolant, to ultimately prevent your car from overheating while you diagnose your coolant loss
Well quick update. I have topped off the coolant to the fill line and seems to be a very slight leak so it is proving harder to find than expected but I expect I'll have time to find it when I'm trying to sort the oil leak out.

For the oil is probably easier to say where isn't it leaking. Took spark plug 1 out to have a quick look for either a steam cleaned spark plug or worn relating to the misfire. The gap on those things is huge, didn't even have to measure by eye it looks to be about 2mm plus so new plugs is on the list for the service this month. The more concerning thing is the oil that was around the spark plug can clearly see the rocker head and cylinder head joins weeping when I had the ignition pack out so my theory is when I take it down to the block I can check a lot of other places to make sure.

I must say I'm getting overwhelmed now, got my eye on a nice condition diesel and I'm so so so tempted but I must push through else JBR2 will just end up getting moved on and more than likely gutted by someone that doesn't care.

Cheers
Shaun

Old 6th August 2021, 17:20   #17
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

The new plugs will be set at 1mm, take them down to 0.7mm.

T4 Location Map
Old 6th August 2021, 19:22   #18
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticMrFish View Post
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm going to have a busy weekend. I'll go through the papers but I don't think I noticed anything head gasket related.

A simple test for HGF is to give her a good 10 mile motorway/dual carriageway thrash -leave her overnight then open the expansion tank - if you get a clear audible sound of escaping gas that points to exhaust gas in the coolant system and therefore HGF. A cold system should not have pressure.

Also check the dipstick and oil filler cap for brown mayo - emulsified oil and coolant -again a possible indication of HGF.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2021, 19:26   #19
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
A simple test for HGF is to give her a good 10 mile motorway/dual carriageway thrash -leave her overnight then open the expansion tank - if you get a clear audible sound of escaping gas that points to exhaust gas in the coolant system and therefore HGF. A cold system should not have pressure.

Also check the dipstick and oil filler cap for brown mayo - emulsified oil and coolant -again a possible indication of HGF.
Def no emulsion. My first car was a 25 with k series and that had a head gasket failure so I'm familiar with the brown sludge of doom, all be it 15 years ago.

Thanks for the gas tip. I'll give that a go tomorrow.