Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2nd August 2021, 10:25   #341
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Al.
These will fit albeit they need a fair bit more work to fit, in fact you may find it better and quicker if the passenger seat is removed to add fitting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322178459...Cclp%3A2334524

I’ve just ordered this one. MOT due in September so I’ve got time to fit it and get a good handbrake.
Hi Vic.
You should of mentioned it at the last meet it would have been done then, i thought you purchased the one from (ceedy) remove the passenger seat it will make it easier for you with thee M53 compensators.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:00   #342
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

[QUOTE=Arctic;2893954]
Quote:

Hi Vic.

You should of mentioned it at the last meet it would have been done then, i thought you purchased the one from (ceedy) remove the passenger seat it will make it easier for you with thee M53 compensators.
Arrived this morning. 👍

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 7th November 2022, 13:29   #343
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default Express compensator repair

Hi Arctic great how to once again cheers.

This coming weekend im getting some jobs done and prepping our Nigel (ZTT MK2) for pending MOT and wish to enquire if it might be possible to modify the stretched compensator in place without removal as in avoiding lifting the centre console and all that hassle.

The reason i ask is because after studying your how to and doing some searching i found what looks like the stainless steel link upgrade mod on ebay, it states as such have you seen it?

6mm Stainless Steel Link upgrade handbrake compensator on Rover / MG ZT
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151706258536

Apologies if its known already or even yours lol, i havent had time to digest the numerous pages of this thread (yet).

Another way i thought to cut the need for lifting centre console and save time would be to use the R53 compensator so just remove cable nut from handbrake lever, tie something around the bolt thread and pull it out from the inspection hole revealed when lifting rear carpet. so long as the string or wire used doesnt come off or get snagged should be possible to pull the R53 cable back through to the front?

Anyway, i'll know better at weekend when roll back the rear carpet to get sight of the compensator before going further, maybe even find out why this could be s silly question. cheers

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 7th November 2022 at 13:32..
Old 7th November 2022, 16:52   #344
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retap View Post

This coming weekend im getting some jobs done and prepping our Nigel (ZTT MK2) for pending MOT and wish to enquire if it might be possible to modify the stretched compensator in place without removal as in avoiding lifting the centre console and all that hassle.

The reason i ask is because after studying your how to and doing some searching i found what looks like the stainless steel link upgrade mod on ebay, it states as such have you seen it?

Apologies if its known already or even yours lol, i havent had time to digest the numerous pages of this thread (yet).

Another way i thought to cut the need for lifting centre console and save time would be to use the R53 compensator so just remove cable nut from handbrake lever, tie something around the bolt thread and pull it out from the inspection hole revealed when lifting rear carpet. so long as the string or wire used doesnt come off or get snagged should be possible to pull the R53 cable back through to the front?

Anyway, i'll know better at weekend when roll back the rear carpet to get sight of the compensator before going further, maybe even find out why this could be s silly question. cheers
Hi John.
No questions are silly if you are not sure, i wonder where the ebay seller got that idea from that boat links are now a Rover MG upgrade for handbrakes

John I'm 100% sure you will upgrade the compensator while it's in situ, as the bar need to be cut off, also the oval hole needs to be extended. plus, other little quirks to it depending on the size of the link they are selling.

Now fitting the R53 (Mini) compensator again you will really struggle to remove the old cable and insert the Mini cable, the first time i did it i removed it from and through where the hand brake is, after that i never did another that way as it's hard and you scrap the back of your hand, and also time consuming.

The best method to fit the R53 is to remove the passenger seat then follow the same instructions for the SSC.

You will find removing the passenger gives you all the room you need to remove the old cable and add the new one with the compensator has a whole.

I did a how to on the mini compensator as well, but all the photos were stolen by PB when they purchased tinypic.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=220121

ad altiora tendo.

Old 7th November 2022, 17:45   #345
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

The handbrake compensator is one of my winter jobs as I now live on a steep hill and have a steep driveway
Reading your how-to I was horrified to see the 70+ steps but I am hoping that the actual job will be simpler than it appears (As is often the case!)
It's a pity that the SSC is NLA but that's the way these things go, so I'm ordering an R50 compensator and laying on a bottle of rum for after the job.
Thanks for the how-to!
Old 8th November 2022, 11:38   #346
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Nice one Arctic i know we can rely on you for a straight and thorough answer everytime.

This weekend weather permitting ofcourse its time to lift the rear inspection cover and take a look at the compensator. Last year i did the naughty and put washers on the bolt cable to get thru mot, it worked for a few months and then horrendous noise one day when engaged handbrake. Thought cable had snapped but suspect compensator is in a bad way as a result. Strangely last week i noted the handbraake had come back a lot and put it down to the colder weather possibly stiffening up the compnesator but thats a theory to be assessed further at the weekend. None the less Nigel always gets left in gear when parked and we avoid hill parking like the plague.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Old 12th November 2022, 10:12   #347
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:

I have got that eBay item, some of Arctic's suggested Clevis pins, some penny washers, and a broom stick (for carpet and console retention)... as I intend doing the SSC mod as per Arctic's How To...

So it's out with the angle grinder and hope I finish with as many fingers as I started out with!

I'll try to photograph my progress and post it when I'm done.

RETAP: with the R53 compensator cable maybe wire rather than string and use the handbrake adjuster nut and another as a lock nut to secure it and ensure it doesn't come off?

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Last edited by Lagetha; 12th November 2022 at 10:20.. Reason: Afterthoughts!
Old 14th November 2022, 17:02   #348
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagetha View Post
I have got that eBay item, some of Arctic's suggested Clevis pins, some penny washers, and a broom stick (for carpet and console retention)... as I intend doing the SSC mod as per Arctic's How To...

So it's out with the angle grinder and hope I finish with as many fingers as I started out with!

I'll try to photograph my progress and post it when I'm done.

RETAP: with the R53 compensator cable maybe wire rather than string and use the handbrake adjuster nut and another as a lock nut to secure it and ensure it doesn't come off?

Hi, yeah thanks for that. I still havent done this job its on for tomorow tho and decided to stick with modding what i got rather than get a R53 type

So ordered the SS link bit but thought the rest was on the old compensator cant find a photo showing the side of compensator to check so might have to order a clevis pin as well by sounds of it. Any idea what size as cant seem to find that info easily....

Ill be using a drill with milling bits as not posh enough to own an angle grinder, still got two fingers left to show the man.

Old 15th November 2022, 01:26   #349
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Hi, yeah thanks for that. I still havent done this job its on for tomorow tho and decided to stick with modding what i got rather than get a R53 type

So ordered the SS link bit but thought the rest was on the old compensator cant find a photo showing the side of compensator to check so might have to order a clevis pin as well by sounds of it. Any idea what size as cant seem to find that info easily....

Ill be using a drill with milling bits as not posh enough to own an angle grinder, still got two fingers left to show the man.
Clevis pin 3/8 x 1.25 inch, split pin 1.6mm x 25mm, penny washers 25mm 3/8 hole ... Arctic drills another hole in the clevis pin nearer the compensator, I might just pack with washers.

You might be able to hacksaw the ends of the old pin off and the hoop to remove them from the compensator assembly - or drill them out... the hole at the back where the hoop fits through needs to be bigger too, for the new shackle to fit through.

Or so it appears... Not done it yet! Scheduled for Wednesday

PS the angle grinder is borrowed!

This thread has pictures of original compensator
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=151423

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Last edited by Lagetha; 15th November 2022 at 01:30.. Reason: Update
Old 15th November 2022, 10:07   #350
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagetha View Post
Clevis pin 3/8 x 1.25 inch, split pin 1.6mm x 25mm, penny washers 25mm 3/8 hole ... Arctic drills another hole in the clevis pin nearer the compensator, I might just pack with washers.

You might be able to hacksaw the ends of the old pin off and the hoop to remove them from the compensator assembly - or drill them out... the hole at the back where the hoop fits through needs to be bigger too, for the new shackle to fit through.

Or so it appears... Not done it yet! Scheduled for Wednesday

Hi
Few photos below for you

follow the link below and remove the old compensator then modify it off the car.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=152526

ad altiora tendo.

Closed Thread