Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th October 2020, 08:55   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default How to search Rave

I have never been able to use the search facility for Rave?
If you have, exactly how did you do it?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 09:57   #2
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Rave is consisted of pdf files. When you are within particular pdf file you can use search as in any other pdf file. Problem is, if pdf file is not created from texts but from scanned pictures, then you cannot search anything, since pictures are not searchable.

However, if you expect to use search in main pdf file to show you where some topic is written, then you will be dissapointed. It is not structered in that way. Only what you see within pdf can be searched, but you cannot search in pdfs which are not opened yet.

Point is you must know where particular subject is explained and you then can search through that particular pdf.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 10:33   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Thank you Roverlike. I was trying to find the section on torque settings and as I don't know where to find it, I cant search for it.
Is that a failing of Rave or the rubbish of PDF?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 11:04   #4
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Within Workshop manual there should be Service Procedure and when you open it you shouid find Torque Wrench setting among first 5 bulletins on the left side.

Regarding search facility take inro consideration that Raves principle was invented more then 20 years ago. At that time pdfs were the best solution how to organise things.

However you would need to introduce indexing procedure within all the texts in order to be able to search through all the texts. That might be possible today, but at time Raves are created it was something completely different with a lot of IT work introduced.

So I would say it is not fair to blame things from the past comparing it with ie today Google search engine where you have everything in heand reach over the keyboard.

Do not forget pdfs evolved over 20 yesrs, so today you can do much more that you could do then.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 12:27   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have never been able to use the search facility for Rave?
I have the CD and use the Edit > Find menu on the tool bar at the top of the interface. The search will only accept a single word, so it should be very specific to what you want to find. So, 'torque' will search from the current cursor location forwards. You can also set it to search backwards from current location and to apply one or two Boolean parameters like exact case, whole word only or part of word.

So, Edit > Find pops up the find a word GUI which will search the entire CD contents stepwise by pressing the associated shortcut keys Ctrl+G (Find again).

To find Torque Settings, start at page 1 and just enter 'torque' and then keep clicking the Ctrl+G keys till you get what you need. The main section on this topic is actually the first result.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 13:08   #6
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

If you want Torque settings you are presumeably wanting to carry out a Service Procedure.

So LIBRARY, SERVICE PROCEDURES and there you are. At line 5 all the settings you might like to use.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote