Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th June 2009, 18:48   #1
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts
Default Had an accident at work today

I was putting something away when a large solid peice of wood unattached itself from the unit and fell on top of me. If it was for one of the other women shouting out I'd have never known what hit me, as it was I managed to defend myself slightly although I've stiull got a big bump on the hit, a bruised shoulder, a bruise below my knee and a gash above my ankle. I did cry but it was fright and shock more than pain.

My manager was still there but as we were all leaving she said we'd raise an incident tomorrow morning. Is there anything else I should be doing? Just leave it at that? I could have been seriously injured? Should I take the day off? To be honest I feel a bit sick and very slightly light headed with a bit of pain in my forehead, although it was towards the back of my head I got hit. It's ruined my night.
Old 25th June 2009, 18:54   #2
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
I was putting something away when a large solid peice of wood unattached itself from the unit and fell on top of me. If it was for one of the other women shouting out I'd have never known what hit me, as it was I managed to defend myself slightly although I've stiull got a big bump on the hit, a bruised shoulder, a bruise below my knee and a gash above my ankle. I did cry but it was fright and shock more than pain.

My manager was still there but as we were all leaving she said we'd raise an incident tomorrow morning. Is there anything else I should be doing? Just leave it at that? I could have been seriously injured? Should I take the day off? To be honest I feel a bit sick and very slightly light headed with a bit of pain in my forehead, although it was towards the back of my head I got hit. It's ruined my night.
If you are feeling sick and light headed from a head wound I would phone NHS direct and get their advice.

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 18:59   #3
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
If you are feeling sick and light headed from a head wound I would phone NHS direct and get their advice.
Most importantly hope you feel better soon

Yep - get it checked, you cannot be too careful. Also ensure the accident book is completed and I'd comment that it it completed 24 hours after the event at your managers suggestion.

Last edited by Ragman; 25th June 2009 at 19:13..
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 18:59   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Either contact NHS direct or A&E tonight. Cannot be too careful with head injuries especially if you are feeling light headed. Also a visit to your doctor not only to make sure you are OK but to also document the injuries.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 19:03   #5
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

Where there's a claim we'll create the blame !!!!

No sorry couldn't resist. Careful of any head injury if you start feeling light headed, dizzy or sick go to casualty.

When you return to work (only if feeling ok) make sure that what happened goes in the accident book & all injuries are listed in detail, take photographs of any bruises & cuts & make sure you keep a copy & they log a copy in the files.

Hope that helps & hope you feel better soon :lol:

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 19:08   #6
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Hi Anna,

I hope you are OK.
As others have said best to get yourself checked out to be on the safe side.
Your manager should have mde sure the incident was reported for Health & Safety reasons.
It may also be worth contacting your Union Rep firstly to make sure that everything is investigated properly. Secondly you may be able to lodge a claim, especially if you have been injured due to faultyequipment etc.

Main thing is that you are OK.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 19:33   #7
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

As others have said I'd go to the local A&E and get it checked. Also forget working tomorrow.

Perhaps you should 'inform' your manager that in future they MUST fill in the paperwork as soon as is reasonable after the accident as they are representing the company and it is there duty to do so. If that means staying 5 mins so be it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 20:06   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Glad you are ok to tell the tell.....

When your accident happened was a first aider called, Whenever a potential first aid situation arises, a qualified member of the first aid team (other member of staff) must always attend the scene of the accident promptly, and make another member of staff be aware of what has developed. Normally the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the first aider to fill out the report, but another senior member of staff who has been witness to the occasion can also fill out the form. This really should of been done today when your accident happened, and really you should of bean sent to be checked over properly because of your incident (head wound).

You should really go to A&E and I would definitely take tomorrow of work and to contact your works human resources department and explain what has happened.

And don't drive for 48 hours....... plus if you take more than three days of work over this incident you can also contact your local Health and Safety department if needs be and get them involved if you start to suffer any worst symptoms over this accident.

Hope you are ok! :lol:
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 21:19   #9
Platemaker
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 160, MG ZT 180.

Hi Anna,

PM sent, I do have an another role as a Health and Safety consultant in the aviation industry so if I can be of any help.....

Hope you OK

Platemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 21:41   #10
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
I do have an another role as a Health and Safety consultant in the aviation industry so if I can be of any help.....

For gods sake don't come to our facilities then Corin............
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote