Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th October 2009, 16:41   #1
justmicky
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE

Default Any caravan techies?

Can anyone enlighten me on caravan electrical sytems?
For instance - when hooked up to the 230v mains on site, would there likely be 230v equipment in the caravan - fridge, tv etc, or would it be a case of the 230v supply suppling a charging unit/battery and the 12 v battery supplying the goods?
Or could it be both?
Cheers
justmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:47   #2
actros
Subscribed Member

20lt 75conny se Damson red

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmicky View Post
Can anyone enlighten me on caravan electrical sytems?
For instance - when hooked up to the 230v mains on site, would there likely be 230v equipment in the caravan - fridge, tv etc, or would it be a case of the 230v supply suppling a charging unit/battery and the 12 v battery supplying the goods?
Or could it be both?
Cheers
Hi micky the 230v provieds feed for the fridge and some lights and sockets alo it charges your 12v battery up.
Old 8th October 2009, 17:08   #3
ragitty

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

Yes you can have 240v electrical supply to your caravan providing that the feed goe's through a fuse board initially.

If you have a 3 way fridge i.e Gas, 12v or 240v you can run that on 240v all day long included into your site rental.

You may also have extra wall sockets for your tv, toaster, hair dryer etc but please remember that in a caravan on a site your appliances should be low wattage. i.e if you use a microwave oven then ideally it would need to be approx 750w. also your tv should be low wattage, many people experience tripping the fuses out on the site by using normal household electrical equipement.

Enjoy
Old 8th October 2009, 19:58   #4
justmicky

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE

The reason I asked is that a guy asked me to look at his electrics as he is was having problems on his hols - tripping the site breaker - but not because of any undue load! I didnt have much more than a quick look today and assumed the following:
A 230v supply cable which looks to be running in to a consumer unit with an RCD. Consumer unit has mcb for lights and sockets. There looks also like a supply to a battery charger from the consumer unit - again it was a very brief look that I had!
On fiddling/moving a few wires about I was tripping the RCD -and the caravan being connected to the mains in the garage I was also tripping the RCD in the house consumer unit!
So, I was just trying to get some pointers as to what does what in the caravan - sounds like there is a bad earth on a circuit or appliance - a case of process by elimination I suspect.

Many thanks so far chaps
justmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 19:13   #5
Departed
Retired

--

Not so much a bad earth, as a leak to earth I'd guess.

The earth trip goes if the current coming in on live, doesn't exactly match the current coing out on neutral Usually this is because it's leaking to earth instead.

If moving wires about is causing it, sounds like a wire has worn insulation, though fridges can often be a problem as the heating element can become leaky (as in leaks to earth).
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote