Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2009, 01:26   #1
Harko

MG Zt-t

Default Radiator Fans - Do I have a problem?

Hi,

I run a ZT-t 190 and had the MOT done yesterday morning (Sat) at a garage 2 miles away.

The car had hardly warmed up by the time I had arrived. When I collected the car and drove home, the engine temp had only just reached normal temp (9 '0' clock), but when I parked and before switching off, the fan cut in on high. (Don't think I had climate control/heating on - it was still nippy out and inside temp of car comfortable). This I thought was strange - 2 miles and fan full on after just reaching normal temp. Not normal I thought. I hardly ever hear the fans come on.

When I got in the house, I checked the MOT (the car passed with no problems BTW) but I see that they did make a note that during the emissions test - the fan cut in at high speed. Strange note on the MOT but alarm bells are now ringing.

Do I have a problem?

(I checked the oil and water + other MOT pre checks on Friday afternoon and all seemed well.)

Harko.
Harko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 01:32   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Strange note indeed.... Have you checked the sensor for the fan activation? Could be a simple fix

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 01:40   #3
Harko

MG Zt-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Strange note indeed.... Have you checked the sensor for the fan activation? Could be a simple fix
Uh? OK... I don't know anything about servicing vehicles ;o) (Computers yes - Cars and Bikes - No!)

Ok, thanks for the info. You say there might be a problem brewing and to check the sensor for fan activation. I presume that there is a sticky for this, so I will get back when I have had a quick search.

Regards,

Harko
Old 1st March 2009, 01:45   #4
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Further to my last post - It sounds that you have got a good garage, in that they make a note of items that do not directly affect the MoT test.

You've been "lurking" for a while on the forum? Why not subscribe for a measly £3.00 pa and get access to the more information about our great cars? Subscribed members get access to much more technical info. than a "guest" member

Just click on the subscribe button (above) And change your forum name to RED

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 1st March 2009 at 02:01..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 02:21   #5
Harko

MG Zt-t

Had a quick search...Any advice on

1. Quick check for fan operation
2. Sensor... Is this the sensor that can be monitored from the dash or is it a different one?

Harko

PS> Yep - the garage I go to is a commercial vehicle MOT station that also does cars. It was recommended to me by a friend and have been using them for about ten years. Always friendly and helpful (even when I had to get my car in in short notice (like 1 hour) coz my MOT was out of date (only by 2 days when I didn't remember)
Old 1st March 2009, 10:50   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Radiator fans are pretty well understood nowadays. Anyone wondering what they are about should read this as a starting point: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=1371

T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 19:59   #7
Harko

MG Zt-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post

You've been "lurking" for a while on the forum? Why not subscribe for a measly £3.00 pa and get access to the more information about our great cars? Subscribed members get access to much more technical info. than a "guest" member
Hi Dragrad, Thanks for the prompt. Nice to see that you can still get value for money at some places

Harko.

(Edit: Now I have subscribed... why is my name not in red?).... Ah! Solution found...refresh the page )

Last edited by Harko; 1st March 2009 at 20:07.. Reason: Subscribed - but name not in red
Old 1st March 2009, 21:36   #8
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

when a car is in for an m.o.t it is left running for most of the test, plus when they do the C.O the tester has to hold the rev's pretty hi ! and all this with a car thats not moving !!!! so they tend to get hot. just a thought ?
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 21:47   #9
Harko

MG Zt-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony g View Post
when a car is in for an m.o.t it is left running for most of the test, plus when they do the C.O the tester has to hold the rev's pretty hi ! and all this with a car thats not moving !!!! so they tend to get hot. just a thought ?
Yes, this thought did cross my mind however as I was waiting in the coffee lounge, I heard my car, and they only seemed to run it for a min or so.

I have yet to have a look at the car as I am on nights (shift worker) and don't finish nights till Friday morning.

Hopefully I will have time to take a look over the weekend.

Harko.

PS> The car is not used much during the week - my wife uses public transport and I use my motorbike.