Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th March 2014, 16:41   #1
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Parking sensors any ideas

My low mileage 2002 V6 has factory fitted parking sensors.

Exactly a year ago just after getting a T4 diagnostic done I heard a clicking sound coming from behind me.

It was a few days later before I realised my reverse sensors were not working and as soon as I engaged reverse the clicking would start.
Unfortunately the clicking does not stop when driving unless I switch off and re start then drive off again.
It's starting to bug me and I've now checked the following.
First of all I'm on the early type (black box) with sounder on the rear shelf and car is an automatic.

1/ Removed rear bumper to check connections on multi plug and rear sensors.
All these connections are still like new but I applied a smear of Vaseline on the terminals just in case. No result and still ticking sound.

2/ Substituted black box with a spare one. No result.

3/ Back with the original box I have disconnected the white lead going to the sensors. Ticking sound still there so this should rule out the bumper sensors and wiring.

4/ Checked that reverse lights are working which they are.

I know the reverse switch on the box has been mentioned in other posts but surely if the lights are working the switch is working.

Car has never been subject to water ingress and all wiring connections are like new. I have read through as many of the other topics on this but cannot find any stating this clicking sound from the sounder so could it be faulty and if so could I connect a separate 12v sounder to test this as I have a small one left over from an alarm system in the workshop.

It's really annoying the "boss" who sometimes sits as a back seat driver with this in her ear and most driving trip always seem to start with a reverse manoeuvre which triggers the clicking.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 17:05   #2
HenryD
Loves to post

MG ZTT

Switch the ignition on and select reverse gear then listen to the sensors themselves,they should rapidly click(not very loudly) when you put your ear to them,if one or two don't make any noise then start by fitting replacements,if none click the fault is probably elswhere.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 17:11   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Switch the ignition on and select reverse gear then listen to the sensors themselves,they should rapidly click(not very loudly) when you put your ear to them,if one or two don't make any noise then start by fitting replacements,if none click the fault is probably elswhere.
Yes I will try this but even with them disconnected (white plug) at the ECU I still get the clicking sound from the rear shelf sounder.
Old 28th March 2014, 17:53   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I've re connected the sensors (white lead) and yes all 4 are ticking nicely.
It's just this darned sounder on the shelf that tick ticks all the time.
I think it will be a shelf off to investigate this next.

BTW I've also got a spare set of sensors ready for the diesel and tested them in the V6 and they work fine but still the sounder just ticks.
Old 28th March 2014, 18:50   #5
MASTIFF2
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 CDT TOURERS X2 !

Couldn't just be an issue with the sounder itself Jim ?

Brian
Old 28th March 2014, 18:59   #6
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi Jim.
I'd try the sounder, they can click when faulty. What is odd though is the continual clicking, I would have thought you would get one click on selecting reverse when you would normally get a beep and the clicks when getting nearer to an obstruction. You may have two faults.
Old 28th March 2014, 19:41   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

It reads to me, as if the reverse sensing module, rather than just getting a reversing signal only when you actually select reverse, is getting a reversing signal all of the time. Use a meter and make sure the 12v reverse feed is doing what it should.

Arre you saying the reversing lights are working as in going on and off properly, or just that you know they are on when in reverse, but have not checked they are switching off when in D.

If they stay on all the time, look at the switch/ switch adjustment.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 22:32   #8
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

No reverse lights work on and off perfectly every time and up to last year the reverse sensors worked perfectly, even sensing blades of grass.

It would give the beep when reverse selected then the short beeps when reversing up to the constant beep when close to object.

What is happening now is when reverse is selected you hear a ticking sound not a beep and this ticking sound continues when D is selected.

If I start the car and drive of in D there is no ticking sound but as previously mentioned most driving manoeuvres start with either me reversing out of the drive way or reversing out of a parking space.

I am a bit tight on time tomorrow as I have to up lift my caravan from storage for servicing and I have a meeting to attend but if I can I will remove the rear shelf to get at the sounder or even cut into the wiring under the shelf to test it.
What I wanted to know is it a 12volt signal going to the sounder as I could substitute it with another 12 volt alarm sounder I have.