Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2020, 18:22   #1
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Default Sunroof refitted but problems adjusting. Help?

I had the roof glass out today to look at the blind clips which I know cause issues (mine was popping out the right-side runner and jamming when manually closing). I [thought I'd] fixed the blind issue but after refitting the glass with the six T25 screws and taking it for a run, it sounded like it wasn't closed properly. I've spent an hour adjusting and testing but it still sounds like it's open - lots of air whoosh. There's a fair amount of vertical adjustment on each screw but I can't seem to get it sorted.

Any clues please?

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 137,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 22nd August 2020 at 17:30..
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 21:30   #2
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Not an expert (about to put up a Similar thread myself lol).
When the sunroof is in the closed position, does it sit fairly level with the roofline when you look at it from the outside? If so I would say that it’s adjusted correctly. Is the seal in good condition?
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 21:40   #3
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
When the sunroof is in the closed position, does it sit fairly level with the roofline when you look at it from the outside? If so I would say that it’s adjusted correctly. Is the seal in good condition?
The process involves placing the glass back onto the frame from above (some people recommend having the frame in the ventilation position (rear canted upwards) and others recommend having it flat - I've tried it both ways). There is quite a lot of vertical adjustment available, so where it sits depends entirely on how much you push the glass up from underneath in its vertical guides whilst tightening the screws. Fully low position makes it sit about 3mm below roof level and fully high puts it proud by a couple of mm. The problem I have is that no matter where I position it, it still whooshes badly - sounds open - when it never did before.

The seal is fine, no water or air ingressed before. Car's only done 29k.

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles
Old 16th August 2020, 21:50   #4
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
The process involves placing the glass back onto the frame from above (some people recommend having the frame in the ventilation position (rear canted upwards) and others recommend having it flat - I've tried it both ways). There is quite a lot of vertical adjustment available, so where it sits depends entirely on how much you push the glass up from underneath in its vertical guides whilst tightening the screws. Fully low position makes it sit about 3mm below roof level and fully high puts it proud by a couple of mm. The problem I have is that no matter where I position it, it still whooshes badly - sounds open - when it never did before.

The seal is fine, no water or air ingressed before. Car's only done 29k.

Dougie.

Yep I have done mine in the fully closed position but reckon I tweaked the adjustment wrong when fitting the new motor as the blind won’t fully close (about a 1cm gap at the front), I think I have to disconnect the motor and reset it that way.
The way I did the glass was to tighten the 4 corner torx bolts so they would hold the glass but still let me adjust it a corner at a time while outside the car. That made it easier to Get the glass level correct before fully tightening up.
If the glass is acceptable flush and the seal is good I’m not sure what the noise is as something has either got to be letting airflow in or actually disturbing it while on the move. Have you got a pic showing the sunroof from the outside?
Old 16th August 2020, 22:00   #5
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Yep I have done mine in the fully closed position but reckon I tweaked the adjustment wrong when fitting the new motor as the blind won’t fully close (about a 1cm gap at the front), I think I have to disconnect the motor and reset it that way.
I had no motor issues, just one of the left two blind clips broken and the right spring guide popping out of its slot casing the blind to twist and stick.

Quote:
The way I did the glass was to tighten the 4 corner torx bolts so they would hold the glass but still let me adjust it a corner at a time while outside the car. That made it easier to Get the glass level correct before fully tightening up.
When you say 4 corner torx bolts, I presume you mean both front and both rear ones, leaving the middle ones until last? That's what I've been doing.

Quote:
If the glass is acceptable flush and the seal is good I’m not sure what the noise is as something has either got to be letting airflow in or actually disturbing it while on the move. Have you got a pic showing the sunroof from the outside?
I was certain it should be flush which was my first point of adjustment, especially checking that all four corners were level. I don't have a photo but all it would show would be whatever adjustment position I'd last tried. It's currently sitting level.

There is a thin rubber skirt at the rear underside of the glass which I've checked isn't trapped somewhere.

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles
Old 16th August 2020, 22:12   #6
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
I had no motor issues, just one of the left two blind clips broken and the right spring guide popping out of its slot casing the blind to twist and stick.

When you say 4 corner torx bolts, I presume you mean both front and both rear ones, leaving the middle ones until last? That's what I've been doing.

I was certain it should be flush which was my first point of adjustment, especially checking that all four corners were level. I don't have a photo but all it would show would be whatever adjustment position I'd last tried. It's currently sitting level.

There is a thin rubber skirt at the rear underside of the glass which I've checked isn't trapped somewhere.

Dougie.

Really not sure, I would be tempted to say (not seeing how it’s sitting) that it’s possibly a couple of mm too high, I noticed that on adjusting mine it was easy to get the outer edge flush but then (IMO) the rest of the sunroof looked to sit too high so I dropped it down a smidge. I don’t seem to have any wind noise at least.
Yes, that’s the 4 torx I meant 👍
Old 16th August 2020, 22:20   #7
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Really not sure, I would be tempted to say (not seeing how it’s sitting) that it’s possibly a couple of mm too high, I noticed that on adjusting mine it was easy to get the outer edge flush but then (IMO) the rest of the sunroof looked to sit too high so I dropped it down a smidge. I don’t seem to have any wind noise at least.
Yes, that’s the 4 torx I meant 👍
Thanks Gary. I'm going to take it all back out in the morning and start again. I know nothing's fallen off and the seal's good so it's gotta be me.

Give my regards to The Garrison.

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles
Old 16th August 2020, 22:22   #8
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Thanks Gary. I'm going to take it all back out in the morning and start again. I know nothing's fallen off and the seal's good so it's gotta be me.

Give my regards to The Garrison.

Dougie.
Nae bother Dougie, aye know what you mean there 😁
Will do 🍻👌
Old 17th August 2020, 08:20   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Dougie,

Do you have the RAVE procedure for this?

Simon
Old 17th August 2020, 10:02   #10
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Dougie,

Do you have the RAVE procedure for this?

Simon
Good point, well presented. I never even thought of Rave. It does give alignment measurements (front flush/1.0mm down, rear flush/1.0mm up) so that's helpful. Thanks.

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles