Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th January 2020, 11:13   #1
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Default Clutch release bearing whirr...how long left?

Hi folks,

Hope 2020 has begun well for all.

So, all you knowledgeable clutch gurus out there...my 160 bhp V6 ZT-T is on 80k miles with the original clutch (to my knowledge) and recently I have noticed the first signs of a quiet whirr from the release bearing when the clutch pedal is depressed.

So, I know that a clutch must be on the cards as at some point. I will try my best to be gentle and not sit at the lights with the clutch down for any length of time. That noise rather points to friction in the bearing...friction = heat...heat eventually will no doubt melt the plastic part of the slave and then it will be toast!

Questions...
1) Do any of you have any idea of how long I can nurse the clutch with what is currently a really quiet whirr? I have a feeling we are talking months or maybe a few thousand miles at best (although mileage and time all depend on how much the clutch is used). If it's all motorway it could last quite some period of time / a few miles but I have about 50 miles per day around town and through Devon and I average about 25 mph...so I use the clutch a bit!). I assume that the noise will most likely get worse as the end of life approaches so I will get a bit more warning methinks.

2) Best recommendation of clutch kit and slave to approach original fitted...

Are we talking:
LUK 3 piece (inc. slave)
Borg and Beck 3 piece (inc. slave)
Some combo. of the above?

I am really unsure which is the best slave to opt for as I've read various posts about ones to avoid and which might be the longest lived.

Is there a Land Rover slave out there that is better / stronger / closer to original fitment to the 2.5 V6 in the 75 / ZT.

I have got one of the old stock master cylinders (switch over pipework I believe) from Mat and Scott ready as it probably makes sense to do it all.

I appreciate any input from the huge wealth of knowledge out there and thanks in advance for suggestions.

Cheers all,

Jonty

Last edited by drjonts; 24th January 2020 at 11:15..
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote