Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th August 2013, 20:28   #1
ChrisH
Regular poster

Rover 75 facelift Saloon CDTi auto ConnSE Silver

Default Symphony screeching - what to fix/replace?

A fault which has been very occasional over the last 3 years has happened twice today and might be settling in for good. Whatever is playing, whether radio/cd, starts being interrupted by clicks and buzzes, then 5-10 seconds later settles into a loud screech, with volume control having no effect. It's mainly in the passenger door speaker, but rear seat passengers say it's in their ear as well. My guess is that a component is failing in the power amplifiers, and the front end radio/cassette/cd is all ok.

It's a while since I have been on here ('Thanks' is a new feature, right?), because after this forum helped sort the initial problems, I've had 3 years trouble-free motoring.

But the question is: something needs fixing or replacing, but what would it be? Does the Symphony have it all in the one head unit, or is there a separate amplifier box somewhere?

How available are new units from Rimmer or used units off eBay, and what should I expect to pay? (I have the type with buttons for lo-line sat-nav at top right corner). Any other suggestions?

Last edited by ChrisH; 26th August 2013 at 20:33.. Reason: Clarify
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 20:45   #2
Duotone
This is my second home

The Symphony is a all in one head unit, no external amplifier.

You could buy a replacement Symphony without the low line sat nav panel. It can be changed over to a replacement headunit as its only held in with four screws.

Your fault is most likely the headunit, but best to remove the unit and check the connections.

Why not post in the "Items Wanted" forum for a Symphony.

Dave T

Last edited by Duotone; 26th August 2013 at 20:47..
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 21:09   #3
ChrisH
Regular poster

Rover 75 facelift Saloon CDTi auto ConnSE Silver

Yes I thought as much. Rimmer seem to have them in stock, at a price (ouch!) but there is at least one unit currently on eBay, although it doesn't have the satnav buttons. Which of course brings up the next question...

Is the satnav panel built in, or can the blanking panel be taken out and the switch panel (from the old unit) clicked into place?
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 21:14   #4
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Yes I thought as much. Rimmer seem to have them in stock, at a price (ouch!) but there is at least one unit currently on eBay, although it doesn't have the satnav buttons. Which of course brings up the next question...

Is the satnav panel built in, or can the blanking panel be taken out and the switch panel (from the old unit) clicked into place?
As I say the sat nav panel is held in with four small screws, easily removable.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote