Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st March 2016, 11:17   #1
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

Default Fuel sender wire broken, how to fix?

Left fuel sensor doesn't work, I needed to fit an orange clip anyway, so time to investigate.

Orange clip has already been fitted! I think I've found the sensor issue as well:

As you can see (red arrow) the terminal has broken. I guess this was probably done when the orange clip was fitted?

Here's what it should look like:

(Photo by Rich at http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru....php?p=1700562)

Anyways, I can't get it out the tank, there must be a knack to it, but no way can I do it and I don't want to break it. So access to the wire is by tweezers only.

It would be a simple job to quickly solder the wire but of course, being a fuel tank, there is NO WAY I would ever try this.

I've tried crimping a new terminal on, but I just can't get the leverage and have already lost a terminal into the bottom of the tank.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Thanks,
Ali.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel_sender_wire_edited.jpg (87.2 KB, 42 views)
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.

Last edited by Alikris; 21st March 2016 at 11:20..
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 12:53   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The broken (black?/green?) wire is to earth the internals of the filter. It's a safety issue that isn't likely to affect the operation of the float/rheostat system. If the gauge doesn't record correctly, I'd say it's due to a fault in the float/rheostat mechanism. The thread you link the photo from has more on this problem.

Can you get the end of the wire out so you can extend it and give enough slack to fit a new connector?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 14:19   #3
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

Thanks, wire fixed, sender problem not fixed just as you thought

I managed to wrap the end of the wire around the terminal than araldite it in place using a long wooden skewer..

Sadly I can't figure out how to get the rheostat out of the access hole, I've tried but the hole is just too small. I know it's possible as others have done it but I obviously don't have the knack and seeing as I don't want to force it and break things, I've just put it all back together and will leave it as is. At least the orange clip is there so one less thing to worry about.

I'll just have to cope with an inaccurate fuel gauge It's not as if I'm the only one!

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote