Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th May 2014, 17:44   #1
Challenger
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi Tourer

Default Continental excursion

Since 2008, as an active member of the Citroen Car Club - in particular a rather odd bunch of BX owners - I have arranged continental road trips for like-minded fans of driving on relatively empty, exciting (sometimes pretty wild) roads roads, in particular French culture, some nice stop-overs and the occasional unexpected adventure/treat...

October 2009 saw the BXagon - a rather oddly named (an amalgamation of L'Hexagone; as the French often refer to their country geographically) and BX) which saw a handful of BXs of various kinds, travel from Calais, back to Calais around the edge of the country, passing through about 47 Departments and covering 2,800 plus miles in 10 days of driving. We raised a shade over £10,000 for Cancer Research UK (about half via JustGiving which proved a very useful method).

Then, in 2012 I organised The Citroen Classic Challenge - this took us from Calais to south of Lyon, via the upper Loire, to Provence, the Alps, Switzerland and the Vosges Mountains across to the Channel coast and back. This time individual teams sorted their own charitable efforts - a few grand went to a variety of charities and the 2,500 miles was I have to say optimised for driving fun and it has become a bit of a legend amongst those who took part...

There was a Scottish tour arranged in 2013 (which in the end I missed out on) but now my effort is directed towards organising another epic trip, this time in June 2015. This is The Citroen Classic Challenge 2015 (imaginative, I know!) and this will take us through the heart of France to the Med and into the Pyrenees and up through Aquitaine back via the Loire Valley to Normandy and back to the UK.

Now I am a Rover convert I have to admit, that although these adventures are great and suit the old car/slightly banger French car owner (I know there are some amongst you - I'm not the only ZX owner ) there is an opportunity to possibly arrange a Road Trip in France that is best suited to the Rover 75 fraternity, with it's own character.

Would anyone be interested in hearing some suggestions?
Challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 12:28   #2
Challenger
Loves to post

Thinking about a long weekend/4-5 days for MG/Rover/75 drivers, possibly later this year or next year, visiting this place: http://www.manoir-automobile.fr/welcome/index.php - it really is stunning.

At this very early stage, I reckon on a crossing to Dieppe via Newhaven: It's about £78 return out of peak season. Dieppe to an overnight in Alençon then, day two, on to Loheac for lunch. The afternoon is spent at the museum and then the overnight would be Dinan. Day three would take us and our prized steeds to an overnight at Honfleur via Pegasus Bridge (and Ranville Museum/Memorial) and then after a leisurely start over the Pont Normandie back to Dieppe for the 18:00 crossing.

Anyone up for this trip?: Called, provisionally 'Le Jolly'

Last edited by Challenger; 11th May 2014 at 12:31..
Old 18th June 2014, 11:49   #3
Challenger
Loves to post

As for the route? Well, it depends how everyone feels - it could range from a 1000 mile round trip in 4-5 days to 2500 miles in 10 days of driving.
Phil

I love my tourer; It just gets better and better.
Even if my wallet gets thinner and thinner...

Last edited by Challenger; 13th July 2014 at 09:41..
Old 30th September 2014, 22:57   #4
keithybhoy
Banned

MG ZT-T190

I like the idea of this. I see these kinda tours for sale in the classic mags i read and think it would be a good laugh,id get to see some things i might not normaly see and id gain axperance driving abroad
keithybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 21:37   #5
Challenger
Loves to post

I would like to organise something. I do it for my Citroen compatriots- 2009, 2012 and another road trip through France to an exploration of the Pyrenees next June.

Maybe for this sort of time next year?

Old 2nd October 2014, 17:03   #6
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Challenger, I'd post up the idea with outlined plans and see what kind of response you get and take it from there

France is just beautiful and perfect for a tour.

I did it in 2010 with friends from mgfreedom in Scotland. Here are a few pics of our 3000 mile tour:

Me! Stopped off at Gaydon for MG15.

At Dover the night before the Ferry to France

Paris

Somewhere - deep France.

Had a ball! You cant beat a good tour!

Last edited by Yella Fella; 3rd November 2014 at 10:10..
Yella Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 00:40   #7
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

If you where to ever do an Irish leg I know several local clubs that would join you on the day and I'd happily help anyone out.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 21:52   #8
Challenger
Loves to post

I'm going to post up a suggested tour based on one I've arranged before, which takes in Lyon, Provence, the Alpes, Switzerland, the Vosges/Alsace, and Pas de Calais...