Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th April 2016, 17:33   #31
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
toaf_install.exe
Error Message-Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access etc,
That's a local problem and is probably related to where you're downloading it to.

Go back to the TOAF site and download a new copy. Right click on the download link and select "Save As" (or save link as) and then save it to your desktop rather than somewhere else on your hard drive
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 17:41   #32
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
toaf_install.exe
Error Message-Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access etc,
Try renaming your PC to something other than "Marinabrian".

Ok chaps - I'm only trying to inject some lighthearted humour..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 17:54   #33
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I've just downloaded it using your link with no issues.
Me too, Downloaded perfectly fine........mind you.......I have no idea how to use it !!
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 18:03   #34
longer86
Taking time out

R75

Quote:
Originally Posted by championdaddy View Post
Me too, Downloaded perfectly fine........mind you.......I have no idea how to use it !!
Search toaf at yt
longer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 18:04   #35
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by longer86 View Post
Search toaf at yt
What is YT ? Sorry......I'm an idiot
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 18:34   #36
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

You Tube

Here is a direct link.

http://toaf.roverki.eu/index.php/en/...=download&id=3

Try to save it to your desktop.

If you still can't do it, rename the download to toaf_install.dld, download the file, then rename the file back to toaf_install.exe after the download is finished. Then double click toaf_install.exe to install TOAF.

Last edited by Vanbursta; 29th April 2016 at 18:39..
Vanbursta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 23:05   #37
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
I've tried to stay out of this, but, well, here goes.

I'm not particularly picking on you Astraeus, but yours is the last post and therefore easiest to quote from.

It will be, it would seem, to my advantage to make it known that I am not involved with TOAF in any way, shape or form. I have never used it, downloaded or installed it. I have no need to, as, if something goes wrong with my car, I'm not a million miles away (by comparison to some) from someone with Testbook.

But from what you (and others) seem to be suggesting is that TOAF shouldn't be talked about by anyone on here, unless the developers pay traders fees. As the mere act of anyone discussing it, is by definition, promotion of the product surely?

If ordinary members want to ask questions about TOAF, who better placed to answer them than the very people that developed the software. Is that "trading"? I've not seen a single post from the developers asking for money or trying to sell anyone extra features.

Oh, I know that you can buy 'add on' modules to unlock more bits of the software, but the important point is that you don't have to. No one is forcing anyone else to part with any money for the basic software.

Perhaps it has been lost somewhere down the lines that although this is a UK based forum, it's members aren't only from the UK, Rovers & MG's don't only exist in the UK and T4 isn't widely available outside of these shores. TOAF might be some peoples only option.

Certainly, from what I've read about it, in the wrong (or inexperienced) hands TOAF could quite easily turn your 75/ZT into a lovely garden ornament, but I'd put good money on the fact that in those same hands T4 could do exactly the same, and you'd have to pay handsomely (if you could find one) to buy a T4 system in the first place.

Used in it's basic (free) form, I'm quite sure that TOAF is/will be a valuable diagnostic tool for those who don't have, can't get to or can't afford T4 (or VT4). I'd doubt that TOAF, no matter how much it's developed will ever be quite as good (or as powerful) as Testbook, but you can't knock what the developers are trying to achieve for those Rover/MG owners that don't have any other option.

I'm sure there's no "Cartel", I'm fairly sure there's no Monopoly either, but to basically say that another product can't even be talked about and that questions about it can't be answered by the developers is just wrong, as ultimately, won't help anyone.
You make some very good points but I guess we just disagree about what is going on with this. In my opinion if you are distributing something that has chargeable add ons you are in effect trading your product. I guess we will just have to disagree on this. The point I am making is not about Toaf or how good it is or who can use it. I am not bothered one way or another. But, in answering posts on here about Toaf and promoting downloads of their free software ( which has chargeable add ons ) it is promoting your product. Why not just pay the very small trader fee and do it without argument?

That is the issue I am talking about. Not Toaf itself.
Well, I have made clear what I think and I will not post about it again as I have no wish to fall out with members on here. It is up to others to decide what to do.

Chris

Footnote. I have just checked and the Bronze trader subscription is £8.34 per month. What really is the problem with complying with this?

Last edited by Astraeus; 29th April 2016 at 23:08..
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 07:49   #38
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

I have both versions of TOAF, the first early one and the second one, both are free.
I sat in my car for an hour yesterday while someone gave me a demonstration of what it can do, I was amazed, and we barely touched on the number of options.
I would say that it may not be for everyone, it might depend on how savvy and comfortable you are with computers.
I want to be able to talk about TOAF just as we all do with other items that may not come from traders on here.
Example is: an eBay car or Gumtree car is shown here with a link and a discussion might get started, that could be said that it might stop a sale here of an exact matching car, another example is links pointing to parts, the same parts that are sold here by traders and no one says a word about these posts.
Anyway, I am going to enjoy my FREE bit of kit.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 08:40   #39
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
That's because it's an executable file, which is probably being blocked from download on your PC because either, 1) you are not an administrator, or 2) some software (probably anti virus) is preventing it. The link works fine as I have just downloaded TOAF from it. Could also be your browser or an extension of same.
Yup, anti-virus was blocking it and chucking it straight into quarantine
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 08:49   #40
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Alrighty guys and gals - if you've used TOAF and found it to be helpful (I'm still waiting for my lead to arrive from China before I can use it) then maybe we can all club together, if you'll pardon the pun, and pay for their year's traders fee. A tenner each would be enough, and I'm sure users of TOAF would consider it well worth that because it'll shut down all this "can we talk about or not?" debate.

Incidentally, Car Mechanics magazine this month ran a feature on three different Rover MEMS diagnostics software, which I gather are very cheap or free, though you will need to construct your own lead. Admittedly, apart from 1.8 owners, this is probably of more use to the non-75 owners but several of us own other Rovers too.

I can't post the links publicly for fear of falling foul of the same thing TOAF is accused of, but even mentioning the magazine may have done that!
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote