Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd May 2010, 11:09   #1
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Default A question for parents of secondary school age kids...

Just a wee straw poll if people wouldn't mind giving me their thoughts?

I am examining the possibility of writing a two book 'Secondary School Survival Guide' (one for parents and one for their children). As it strikes me that there is a huge amount of information / advice / help that would make life much much easier for both mum and dad and the kids...

The aim being to give kids a better chance at school because they and their parents would have a better idea of how to deal with schools, what to watch out for, the pit falls, how to make your points effectively, the things to ask about, the basic legalities and channels of communication re SEN, exclusions, problems in school, exams etc. (for the parents) As well as giving them a sense of what will happen when so they can plan ahead and best help their offspring in a variety of practical ways.

Equally, for the kids, it would be a question of lots of practical advice and ideas to make life easier for them in school - on all issues, from how to deal with problems sith other students, to making friends, to how best to approach homework, why being organised in Y7 makes the next 5-7 years so much easier...forewarned being forearmed etc..all done in a fun, non-patronising yet accessible manner.

If people could take a moment to post their thoughts on this or PM / Email me I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

Last edited by Zeb; 3rd May 2010 at 11:12..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:55   #2
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I think it is a very sound idea.
My daughter started at secondary school last August and thankfully really enjoys it. That being said she is very musical and the school by chance has a concert band and choir which she spends all her free time at.

Certainly it was a daunting prospect for us and her and any help or guidence would have been apprecieated.

Worth bearing in mind that there are different education systems in place in Scotland however the social interactions etc are the same I would suspect wherever you live.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:09   #3
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Thanks Simondi....you are quite correct, I would have to take account of the differences in Scotland, as well as areas where selective education is still the norm too I guess. I think it the move to Secondary is almost more daunting for parents than the kids! Maybe a section on how to enable a child to make the most of their talents might be in order too....

Last edited by Zeb; 3rd May 2010 at 12:12..
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:19   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Here in Wales Zeb we still have plenty of grammar schools as well as schools for purely teaching in the medium of Welsh.
But sounds a good idea and sure to help some people.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:00   #5
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

I don't have any secondary school age children as I think they're harmful to health and wealth but as somebody who has a lot of contact with them, I think it would be an excellent Idea Carl
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 20:29   #6
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
I don't have any secondary school age children as I think they're harmful to health and wealth but as somebody who has a lot of contact with them, I think it would be an excellent Idea Carl

Can't say I disagree with your analysis Paul....

Thanks for the encouragement all....
Old 4th May 2010, 21:21   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Fantastic idea, sooooo much info is not forth coming ( even when planned 18 months ahead ) When can we buy a copy

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 21:32   #8
payner75t
Gets stuck in

Saab 900 convertible,Ford Mondeo zetec tdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Fantastic idea, sooooo much info is not forth coming ( even when planned 18 months ahead ) When can we buy a copy
totally agree , the amount we didn't know when my eldest started secondary school was scary.
my daughter is starting in september and is very daunted by it all,
payner75t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 11:14   #9
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Thanks folks... I have started discussions with a publisher so I will let you know if this is going to happen...
Old 5th May 2010, 15:59   #10
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

More than happy to help, hopefully got some knowledge that would be able to be used!

Jake
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote