Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th February 2023, 08:05   #1
Mats
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi 2.0 Auto

Question R75 V6 2.5L Crankcase Ventilation

Hi all,

According to the garage's mechanic the crankcase ventilation freezes on a V6 2.5L which pushes the dipstick out a few cm. This results in oil spilling out into the engine bay. Unfortunately the bloke couldn't give me a fix for it.

Potentially a typical problem? Only heard of blocked pcv filters on diesels before.
Any idea what needs changing/fixing?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2023, 08:48   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Half truths can be so annoying. Yes there are instances where the positive crankcase pressure contains moisture and it has been known to freeze where it re enters the inlet tract at the throttle assy and in extreme cases causes the throttle flap to ice up.

And a blocked breather pipe that goes to the throttle assy can happen BUT where the breathers exit the cam covers next to this breather on each cover is a second breather, it is from memory 1.5mm. The front cam cover is easily accessible to clear in situ but the rear one requires the inlet manifold to be removed.

inside the cam covers are a couple of gauzes that can be replaced to help the engine to breath but this involves the removal of the cam covers.

Truth be known I assume the majority of the KV6 engines of our age with have an issue with the 1.5mm breathers being blocked simply because people don't know they are there.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...2&postcount=13

Edit: this really needs attending to as any build up of excessive pressure in the crankcase could lead to other seals being compromised such as the camshaft end seals and you really don't want that.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 26th February 2023 at 08:50..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2023, 12:22   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats View Post
According to the garage's mechanic the crankcase ventilation freezes on a V6 2.5L which pushes the dipstick out a few cm. This results in oil spilling out into the engine bay.
Well Mats, I've never experienced this on my V6 and I've had it for 19 years! That's not to say that your mechanic hasn't seen a car with this condition but judging by the lack of reports in the technical forum there's no evidence that it's a typical problem.

Your profile says you have a diesel but if it's your KV6 you're asking about, check that the 'O' ring (1 or 2?) is in place at the top of the dipstick.

It's also certainly worth checking the small orifice beneath the gauze filter in the cam covers which Stocktake has described. Start with the easy LH bank and if you find it blocked with carbon deposits check the RH bank as well. I found that the engine performance improved noticeably after these were cleared.

Simon
Old 12th March 2023, 12:24   #4
Mats
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi 2.0 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Truth be known I assume the majority of the KV6 engines of our age with have an issue with the 1.5mm breathers being blocked simply because people don't know they are there.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...2&postcount=13
Would you mind pointing out where exactly these 1.5mm breather holes are? Right behind the gauze filter, I assume? Thank you!

Bought the camshaft gasket and gauzes for a clean.

Last edited by Mats; 12th March 2023 at 12:26..
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 13:18   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote