Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th March 2019, 16:31   #1
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,613 Times in 1,106 Posts
Default Another fine mess...

Noon today got a phone call from my wife. "Clutch Gone" on her MG ZS in her firm's car park.

She called the AA and opted to have car recovered home rather than to a garage. About six years ago I fitted a new clutch to this car when the Thrust Bearing Broke up. Thinks... hydraulic problem?

About an hour later car home. Spoke to AA guy who was informative. He thinks the Metal Bracket which locates the Clutch Slave Cylinder has fractured and the Slave has escaped from its location. Heard about that happening to other owners with this kind of hydraulic clutch. If it is that, it's something I can fix.

Got talking to the helpful AA man as he updated the recovery info on the AA database. He said my wife had steered the car well using the rigid bar as it was not a long recovery trip. Otherwise he would have used the tow dolly. He also confirmed that quite often when asking owners of stranded cars to release their car's bonnets, they did not know where that bonnet release lever is! That's the modern car user for you.

See image. This is the third time the family have had to use the AA rescue in the past few years. Previously apart from one occasion back in 2007, never called any rescue service in fifty years of motoring. Cannot complain on that basis..nothing lasts forever. :~

Old 15th March 2019, 16:50   #2
WillyHeckaslike
I am skint! Hence only 1 home.

Rover 75 1.8 MK1 Saloon (Manual)

Hopefully it will be as the AA have diagnosed and it will be a relatively simple fix. I had the clutch changed on my 03 Rover 25 last year after the release bearing failed. I gather that the bearing on the 25 is not renowned for its durability and that my type of failure is by no means unusual. I do very few miles per year and the failure occurred at ~ 59,000 miles. The bill came in at under £200 all inclusive with a new guide sleeve and a CV joint gaiter.
Old 15th March 2019, 17:05   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

1999 Cowley V6 Auto Zircon Silver

I seem to also remember that the clutch arms can seize on the 45. never happened to mine but recall reading about it somewhere. That can cause the slave to break away.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 18th March 2019 at 14:58..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 18:03   #4
marinabrian
Baculum Magicum

A few too many

Thanked 8,226 Times in 4,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I seem to also remember that the clutch arms can seize on the 25. never happened to mine but recall reading about it somewhere. That can cause the slave to break away.
The 25 has a cable clutch, the HHR and the MGF and TF have hydraulic systems.

You are correct though, the PG1 gearbox clutch fork pivot shaft has a propensity to seize up which can cause this type of failure.

Here you go John......LINK

Brian
Old 15th March 2019, 18:14   #5
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanks Brian. I fixed one of those some time ago on a 45.

I have not even lifted the ZS's bonnet to have a look yet. Too cold and wet and I wanted to watch the racing at Cheltenham. Can wait until tomorrow. Typical it should happen on Gold Cup day. The AA Guy was held up by the massive increase in traffic in this area by those attending the big race.

The Gods were against us today. I only backed a third and second all day and now the Clutch needs attention.

Me paranoid? Naaaarh... mind you, sometimes I think the whole Universe is out to get me..
Old 15th March 2019, 18:35   #6
planenut
motorvatin

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 1,027 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
...........Me paranoid? Naaaarh... mind you, sometimes I think the whole Universe is out to get me..
The thing is John, you appear to be capable of flying the spaceship, most of us are floundering in the black holes. Good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to planenut For This Useful Post:
Old 15th March 2019, 20:46   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

You are correct though, the PG1 gearbox clutch fork pivot shaft has a propensity to seize up which can cause this type of failure.

Brian
Ahah! So the wife is telling the truth. My memory is starting to go a bit. I'm also remembering something about resetting the clutch cable on my 25 by giving it a pull somewhere under the bonnet? It's been a while since I had one. I remember reading the list of common faults and finding that my car had them all! Some popping up in my head are tailgate wiring, head gasket, alarm problems, immobiliser problems, clutch judder, ...........

Last edited by roverbarmy; 18th March 2019 at 15:00..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 21:52   #8
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up Good AA service.

As an aside, this AA Guy, like the one who recovered my Blue ZT-T 1.8T a couple years back, is ex-Longbridge ... He like the other guy, had a good knowledge of these cars and their engines. Both were very helpful and deserve favourable feedback when the AA send their follow up comms.

Here's my ZT-T being recovered. The radiator top hose fractured and most coolant lost. I was about fifty miles from home at the time and he used the Tow Dolly.

This was the cause :~

This should reduce the chances of a repeat. Bought that hose from FORGE Motorsport in Gloucester... that's one of their boxes in my signature.

I believe in supporting not just local Industry, but UK too... that's why just about every new car I bought including company cars, were produced in Cowley, Longbridge or Abingdon. The short off-cut trimmed from the L-Shaped hose was a perfect fit the other side of the T-Piece. :~

I have another ready to fit to my other ZT-T 1.8T .. in due course.

So much to do, so little time..
Old 17th March 2019, 23:24   #9
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up Looks like just a broken Slave.. A relief!

Today it stopped raining, sun came out and the wind died down so lifted the car's bonnet and had a look see. This is what I found. The AA Guy ... bless. ... see attached... used cable ties too but that part of the Slaves "Collar" had fractured allowing the Slave Cylinder to dislocate so was not effective. I found the broken bit of plastic on the bell housing. .

I also used a stout tube on the Clutch Release Shaft Crank and levered it to see if the Clutch ( which I renewed some years ago ) had also failed. Relieved to find that it appeared sound. Also the Metal Slave Bracket Housing looked like new and no signs of corrosion or fracture... had the 2003 car from new. So that is also another relief to observe.

Then it started to rain heavily again so I wasted no time getting the tools collected and in the dry. I know when the weather Gods have got it in for me so it can wait to Monday and hopefully more friendly car working on the outside weather.

Now off the car, I compared the Slave and its hose assembly with a good spare I have. They are identical so I will fit and bleed that instead. If that does not do the trick, I'll get a new Luk one... £42 on ebay posted. from GSF ... we have a local GSF branch and I'll get one from there if the used one does not do the trick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1400.jpg (127.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 18th March 2019, 15:03   #10
roverbarmy
This is my second home

A slave cylinder outside the bell housing. What a good idea!