Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th December 2020, 22:57   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

And another thing that should not be overlooked is the clevis securing the master cylinder pushrod to the clutch pedal which often snaps in two

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 15:52   #12
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Yer tis-----------------

The white cap just behind the green collar.
What a damn stupid idea having the master cylinder inside the passenger compartment, no wonder i couldn't find it. Thanks for this.
I'll further investigate when the weather improves, for mow I have the "spare" 75 to use. (Spare in that it was bought for £120 a couple of years back as a source of parts yet all the important parts still work fine)
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 17:27   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
What a damn stupid idea having the master cylinder inside the passenger compartment, no wonder i couldn't find it. Thanks for this.
I'll further investigate when the weather improves, for mow I have the "spare" 75 to use. (Spare in that it was bought for £120 a couple of years back as a source of parts yet all the important parts still work fine)
When you do investigate the innards of the master cylinder the picture below will show you what you are going to find when you remove the cap to top it up.--The rubber condom has to be removed. This is there to stop air getting into the clutch fluid.-- This item breaths as the clutch is operated.

To top up the reservoir you might need one of those mirrors on a stick and also bulb and tube to get the fluid up and into the reservoir.

As you say, the Rover engineers needed to have their bums smacked for coming up with such a ridiculous way to have the reservoir.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS-Boot.jpg (66.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg R75 master..jpg (75.0 KB, 27 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 20:25   #14
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
When you do investigate the innards of the master cylinder the picture below will show you what you are going to find when you remove the cap to top it up.--The rubber condom has to be removed. This is there to stop air getting into the clutch fluid.-- This item breaths as the clutch is operated.
To top up the reservoir you might need one of those mirrors on a stick and also bulb and tube to get the fluid up and into the reservoir.
As you say, the Rover engineers needed to have their bums smacked for coming up with such a ridiculous way to have the reservoir.
Thanks. From previous posts it would seem that if the reservoir is empty then the slave has failed. If that's the case I might as well renew both though not looking forward to getting the gearbox out, it will be my first time on one of these and at age 73 not a job I'll relish.
Old 26th December 2020, 20:42   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. From previous posts it would seem that if the reservoir is empty then the slave has failed. If that's the case I might as well renew both though not looking forward to getting the gearbox out, it will be my first time on one of these and at age 73 not a job I'll relish.
If you do this at 73, damn good on you.
Read the Haynes manual it is very good for this job (on a diesel at least)
When you remove the bolts from around the gearbox place them into a piece of card with the bolt locations marked, this is because the bolts are different lengths.
You may need to beq, steel or borrow an impact wrench to remove the nuts on the end of the drive shafts as they are very very tight

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 22:18   #16
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Not looking forward to getting the gearbox out, it will be my first time on one of these and at age 73 not a job I'll relish.
I would not advise that you attempt it were you even 10 years younger without assistance and preferably a car lift or a garage pit. Age wearies everyone and the willingness of the mind is not always matched by the ability of the body. Without proper support for the gearbox during removal and refitting damage to the slave cylinder and/or the guide sleeve could result leading to early failure of these items.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 11:11   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
However-----if the reservoir is not empty then it might just be the master cylinder that has failed.

If it does come down to getting the gearbox off there's lots of information on the forum of various dodges to make life easier and safe.

As for age, do it if you feel up to it.---I replaced the clutch on my wife's Citroen C4 at the age of 78. Took several days doing a few hours a day.--Still working perfectly now 5 years later.
Old 27th December 2020, 12:48   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
However-----if the reservoir is not empty then it might just be the master cylinder that has failed.

If it does come down to getting the gearbox off there's lots of information on the forum of various dodges to make life easier and safe.

As for age, do it if you feel up to it.---I replaced the clutch on my wife's Citroen C4 at the age of 78. Took several days doing a few hours a day.--Still working perfectly now 5 years later.
I hope when I get to your age I am just as capable, you put younger people to shame

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 14:04   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

This was much easier as this was due a couple of months later. ( Cam belt. )
No crawling under the car involved.--

Oooops. Forgot to mention, only last year, changed the front suspension lower arm and bush.----( only 82 then.---Lol. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New C4 cam belt..jpg (135.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg New belt fitted. C4.jpg (128.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by COLVERT; 27th December 2020 at 18:47..
Old 27th December 2020, 19:25   #20
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
This was much easier as this was due a couple of months later. ( Cam belt. )
No crawling under the car involved.--

Oooops. Forgot to mention, only last year, changed the front suspension lower arm and bush.----( only 82 then.---Lol. )
Agreed. Cambelts straightforward, don't know why people make such an issue of this job on a V6