Notices

Old 31st December 2020, 13:45   #21
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Most cities have exactly that. We are encouraged to drive our cars to a supermarket or retail park to do all of our shopping. This benefits fuel suppliers, supermarket owners, car suppliers and big business. The losers are the environment, small shop owners and supermarket/retail park suppliers who are cut to the bone. We shop at a local farm shop and butcher when we can. I can see where my food was grown and where the animals grazed. can I taste a difference? Yes. Absolutely. Do I pay more? Yes but it is worth it.
All the little shops have been vanishing for years now and will soon all be gone.

When you go to the super markets in the UK you also have to donate cash for the privilege of parking in their car parks too.

Luckily, here in France parking is FREE.--( Oh.!!! and no road tax on your cars either. )
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 14:28   #22
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3disco View Post
Like the flu jab you have a yearly top up all virus mutate the other alternative is do nothing is that a better solution?
Ian,
You have hit the nail on the head all virus's mutate and if you think a vaccine will help then of course there are two available, precisely why we should be getting our economy back up and running.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 18:52   #23
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

The closure of the Nightingale hospital in London certainly doesnt help the situation in the capital.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 20:48   #24
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Funny change of criteria now, when I rode bikes, I had to take off my helmet to pay for my fuel, security reasons. Now I can wear a mask, enter a bank and ask for money 🙄
Happy New year one and all 😎

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 21:47   #25
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Funny change of criteria now, when I rode bikes, I had to take off my helmet to pay for my fuel, security reasons. Now I can wear a mask, enter a bank and ask for money 🙄
Happy New year one and all 😎

I didn't wear a mask when I withdrew money from the bank to buy the wife's new car yesterday.

Because......

A. I was the only customer in the branch

B. the Teller was behind a glass screen

C. I felt uncomfortable wearing a mask in a branch of a bank when withdrawing a considerable sum of money.

D. there was at no time any risk to any person whatsoever, especially when you bear in mind the text result of the latest Covid test carried out the previous day

And there you have it

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 22:39   #26
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

That doctor sounds like a fruitcake.

From the data I have seen so far, the current ICU capacity is similar to the same time in 2018. What irks me is that if the government have been bricking it since March, why don't we have increased capacity? Instead, we are sending NHS staff home to isolate due to a positive PCR test (which does not at all mean you have covid 19).

Note how when there was a serious problem the other day... Thousands of lorries in Kent... The PCR test was nowhere to be seen? They used the much more accurate one.

The vaccine is a false hope for the masses, just like 'three weeks to save the NHS'. You watch, we will have compulsory masks outdoors any moment now.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 23:47   #27
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Funny change of criteria now, when I rode bikes, I had to take off my helmet to pay for my fuel, security reasons. Now I can wear a mask, enter a bank and ask for money ��
Happy New year one and all ��

I always used to refuse to remove my helmet and went somewhere else for fuel, if the cashier cant differentiate between a biker and a scrote then there is something wrong.
Old 1st January 2021, 00:05   #28
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I was probably just my arrogant biker self that disagreed with the 'remove helmet' scenario.
Old 1st January 2021, 09:07   #29
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I didn't wear a mask when I withdrew money from the bank to buy the wife's new car yesterday.

Because......

A. I was the only customer in the branch

B. the Teller was behind a glass screen

C. I felt uncomfortable wearing a mask in a branch of a bank when withdrawing a considerable sum of money.

D. there was at no time any risk to any person whatsoever, especially when you bear in mind the text result of the latest Covid test carried out the previous day

And there you have it

Brian
Always listen to any of your brilliant advice to keep my 75 on the road, I am in awe of your knowledge, experience and determination to offer help. I was very sad when you retired, and delighted when you were back offering 75 advice.

As for this post, and others you have made recently about Covid, Well, while respecting your right to hold views and express them, I find that the experience of my friends and family leads me to very very different conclusions to many you appear to have reached.

I have friends who have fantastic children working for the NHS, they include paramedics, nurses and administrators, they are brave, resilient and determined to do everything they can to care for their patients, they are exhausted, some have been through Covid themselves, one has died, whilst you report that your local hospital is doing well, others are not, and I hope your hospital continues to cope, but it will only do so if people do all they can to stop the transmission, hands, face, space seems to be the best advice, or do you have better recommendations?

I would like to ask if you would have worn a mask if there had been another customer, or would have gone into the bank if there had been other customers not wearing masks?

Do you not think that the bank should have refused to serve you? I disagree with much of the “advice” from experts and ministers, but never break the law deliberately or knowingly.

If I had come into the bank and challenged you, how would you have responded?

I have my tin hat on awaiting responses, take care and stay safe.
Caulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:54   #30
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

My concern with the Pfizer vaccine is that is is RNA. It is the first thing of its type. The testing for effectiveness has only concerned itself with reducing symptoms. Nothing about prevention of transmission or catching the virus, so I am not even sure we should be calling it a vaccine.

My other concern is that with nonsense like 'new strain' and 'infecting children', the government are just moving the goalposts. Oh, so the hoped-for vaccine won't be enough, and we have to carry on this distopian authoritarianism for ever? I see...

I really really really hope I am wrong, and just being an old cynic.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote