Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st December 2020, 16:08   #11
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

The French can be very harsh, a mate with black and white plates on a fairly modern car got pulled by the Gendarmes. He suspected it was because he had a Satnav in the screen and they can fine you for having speed trap warning activated but no they were not bothered. They fined him 80 Euro for his illegal number plates. He has driven around in the UK with them with no trouble.

I picked up a couple of speeding fines the last time I was over there, it took 5 months for them to send them to me but as I was in my classic I was worried I would get stopped the next time I go if I did not pay. The forms were in English and even the website was in English so that is obvioulsy another cash cow for the French. You would not have thought it was worth the paper work for 32 Euros? I wonder if we reciprocate with fines?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 18:37   #12
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
The French can be very harsh, a mate with black and white plates on a fairly modern car got pulled by the Gendarmes. He suspected it was because he had a Satnav in the screen and they can fine you for having speed trap warning activated but no they were not bothered. They fined him 80 Euro for his illegal number plates. He has driven around in the UK with them with no trouble.

I picked up a couple of speeding fines the last time I was over there, it took 5 months for them to send them to me but as I was in my classic I was worried I would get stopped the next time I go if I did not pay. The forms were in English and even the website was in English so that is obvioulsy another cash cow for the French. You would not have thought it was worth the paper work for 32 Euros? I wonder if we reciprocate with fines?
It's true they can be harsh.--There are car thieves everywhere. If your stuck on plates are ripped off over here the French police would have to deal with the theft. Their first question would be why were your plates not riveted on ???.--As its not legal to drive without plates you would get a fine.--Plus I suspect a bit more for just gluing them on.--

You can have a dangerous area warning.-- ( fixed radar. )

If you have something that can detect mobile radar and they catch you they take the car away and crush it.--( Slightly more proactive than the Brits. )

It's dangerous to assume, if you travel abroad, to think foreign police will think like the Brits.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 10:42   #13
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

I have a feeling that we don’t reciprocate, talking with a parking warden in a local car park he told me they have been instructed not to issue tickets to foreign registered car as they cannot be enforced.
Also, has anyone else noticed that when going through 50mph limit roadworks on motorways that foreign registered lorries seem to sail past at their 62mph max limited speed? If these were being enforced surely this would not be such a common occurrence?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 11:57   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBG View Post
"French Gendarmes are a little bit anti-Brits"

Not always. On the Matchless, on the way back from a rally in the pouring rain, they waved me round the toll booth for the peage. Good job as I was late for the Dieppe ferry.

JohnnyDG
That's because they never come out in the rain.---Lol.---
Old 1st January 2021, 12:00   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
Glue a couple of fake bolt heads on.
Aha !!--They say--great minds think alike--I have two fake rivet heads glued on to mine.--
Old 1st January 2021, 12:33   #16
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Does the Tesco tape packaging state any limitations to its use? As there are sticky pads specifically designed for fixing number plates, I don’t think I’d risk ‘stationery’ type products.

(That’s even if you’re not going to France......&#129323
Old 1st January 2021, 18:16   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Does the Tesco tape packaging state any limitations to its use? As there are sticky pads specifically designed for fixing number plates, I don’t think I’d risk ‘stationery’ type products.

(That’s even if you’re not going to France......&#129323
It should be fine if it's waterproof.-- The AMAZON version is.

And it mentions number plates in the advertising.----
Old 1st January 2021, 18:25   #18
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
3M everytime, and b0lox to the French, if I want to stick my plates on I will!

They didn't mind my union jack roof when we passed through on the way to Holland last year
I like the way you think Andy, But They can fail the CT if the plates are "Stuck" on

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 19:51   #19
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I’m with Andy and Mick on 3M. That is what I used on the rear spoiler fixed to the boot lid. With the nuts fitted of course.
Old 17th August 2022, 19:13   #20
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
3M everytime, and b0lox to the French, if I want to stick my plates on I will!

They didn't mind my union jack roof when we passed through on the way to Holland last year
Do you have a link as to which 3M tape? there seems to be so many out there.

Many thanks

Mike
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote