Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st December 2020, 17:10   #1
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

Default No Dash - What have I broken?

Hi All,

75 (54 plate) Club CDTi facelift saloon

So now I have a new problem. Car has been off the road for a couple of weeks whilst I did some jobs to it / waiting for parts.

On putting it all back together, I have no dash functionality at all. No rev counter, no speedo, no fuel gauge (fuel warning light is on), no temp gauge, and the outside temp readout says -30
Also, my brake pad warning is on as well - although this could be a red herring as I did change the rear disks.

Now I did buy a spare instrument cluster from eBay as mine has lines in the display - I removed mine and plugged the replacement in to see if it had lines as well (turned the ignition on, but did not start the engine). It did, so I put mine straight back.

I noticed no rev counter as soon as I started it, so took the instrument cluster back out, checked the connectors etc and put it all back together again. Still nothing.

Checked the plenums - bone dry with no evidence on the pollen filter of previous soakings.

Took it for a drive and no change to the dash (it drives fine).

I plugged my laptop with TOAF into it, the only module it could talk to was the ABS unit - normally it connects to the car no problem.

So, clearly I have messed something up. Question is - what?

* EDIT * I also fitted a set of electric seats I got from eBay - the big connector was there, but not the small one. So they move around OK but no heating. Don't suppose this could cause anything could it?

Last edited by TriumphStag; 31st December 2020 at 17:33..
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 12:42   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Would take the IPK out again - clean the pins with electrical contact cleaner and look for corrosion - then re-seat and see if that helps.

I would also be tempted to run the onboard IPK diagnostic test to see what that gives you - see link below how to carry out

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...hread.php?t=44

And the other thing that comes to mind is a possible Canbus error - but your failure is so widespread am not sure.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 16:58   #3
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I've had this happen twice in 3 years. Not on a laid up car but on getting back into the car after going down the shops or something.

Disconnected the battery, left for 10 mins reconnected and all back to normal on each occasion.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 17:05   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

TOAF or T4 won't talk to the various ECU within the car where the IPK is faulty, or not connected correctly as it is the gateway to each.

Recheck the connections, you can even refit the used IPK if you wish.

If you suspect a K-Bus issue that may be caused by the fitting of electric seats, then unplug the drivers seat to see if that resolves the issue.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 18:22   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Re---------The electric seats.---The answer might be to temporarily disconnect them. If everything works again you've found the problem.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:20   #6
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

Thanks, tried the diagnostics test, all seemed to work fine, all the dials moved and all the lights went on and off.

Will try a battery reset first, then try disconnecting the seats. I have already taken off the IPK again and checked.cleaned all the contacts, they all looked fine :-(
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 07:59   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Mark,

I am no expert on this sort of thing, particularly as you describe yourself as an "IT guy" , but the manual gives a number of simple tests for IPK data communications.
  • With the hazard warning lights on, do the direction indicator tell-tale lamps in the IPK operate?
  • Turn on the ignition and open any door. Does the 'door open' warning light illuminate?
  • Start the engine and activate the air conditioning [use the windscreen demist button]. Open the bonnet and check that the compressor is engaged.
  • With the engine still running, does the tachometer give a reading? [see below]
  • If your car has traction control, with the ignition on is the warning lamp/message illuminated?
  • With the ignition still on, if your car has automatic transmission does the PRNDL display in the IPK change according to the position of the selector lever?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphStag View Post
Now I did buy a spare instrument cluster from eBay ... turned the ignition on ... put mine straight back.

I noticed no rev counter as soon as I started it ...
According to the manual, you have lost CAN bus communication between the ECM and IPK.

You say that you have a low brake pad warning light after renewing the rear discs. That circuit is hard wired from the sensors to the IPK.

You say that the low fuel level warning light is on. That is triggered by IPK circuitry.

The CAN bus, exterior temperature sensor, speedo signal and brake pad wear (all of which you've reported) are on the 12 pin connector C0233. It might be worth re-checking its security particularly as these faults occurred only after you'd temporarily fitted another IPK.

What do you think Mark?

Simon
Old 4th January 2021, 14:25   #8
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I was told not so long ago that changing the dash without it and the light switch been ‘virginised’ would cause problems as 1 could over write the other or cause conflicts in the IPK memory.
It sounds like this is what has happened to your car and if I understood what I was told, it might mean you need to have both the dash and switch reprogramming from a virgin state.
Fingers crossed this is not the case and a simple battery disconnection will solve it.
Old 4th January 2021, 14:28   #9
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Rick Bhullar is the man to ask regarding this. He will be able to tell you straight away what has gone wrong
Old 4th January 2021, 15:17   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
I was told not so long ago that changing the dash without it and the light switch been ‘virginised’ would cause problems as 1 could over write the other or cause conflicts in the IPK memory.
You can connect another IPK for test purposes but don't drive the car.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote