Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st January 2021, 11:20   #11
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

How do hackers manage to log into someone's Paypal account? I've just logged into mine, but first I had to enter a 6 figure authentication code that was sent to my mobile.

I hardly use Paypal, but for peace of mind I've just removed my linked bank account from it. If I need to add funds in future I will re link it, transfer whatever is needed, then delete it again.
Annfield-East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 14:26   #12
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Same here , always get a text code .... but not i nthe case of these 32 , i've asked for an investigation but they've said it was all authorized so no suspicions were raised. so asked lots of questions as why /how someone got in and I got no texts, I did get one for a kosha payment i nthe middle of all these . ?

So asked for another investigation with queries on how someone got in ?

We will see.. the bank has been rather more proactive on this .

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annfield-East View Post
How do hackers manage to log into someone's Paypal account? I've just logged into mine, but first I had to enter a 6 figure authentication code that was sent to my mobile.

I hardly use Paypal, but for peace of mind I've just removed my linked bank account from it. If I need to add funds in future I will re link it, transfer whatever is needed, then delete it again.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 20:03   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

WOULD THIS HAVE BEEN OF USE AS PROTECTION ???

Download IBM Security Trusteer Rapport 3.5 Build 2004.84

Last edited by COLVERT; 2nd January 2021 at 19:25..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 20:24   #14
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

This is rather worrying partly because there is a fair amount in my paypal account but more so as the theft was from his bank account through paypal. First of all I never use the phone for any online banking.
Secondly, on my main computer I do not have the paypal password saved but have to type it in each time (is this the safer or less safe choice?)
Currently having to use a backup computer and each time I log on paypal asks for verification via a phone text to enter.
I'm sure we would all welcome any hints from users as to how to keep our paypal accounts safe.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 20:37   #15
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default In November

I went to log in to paypal, it threw up a page that demanded extra information because of the way the EU were making demands. I've waited until we're free of any EU control and I'll try it again over the coming days, there's no way I'm giving information because of the EU, we're not part of it and it's a no.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 20:41   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
This is rather worrying partly because there is a fair amount in my paypal account but more so as the theft was from his bank account through paypal. First of all I never use the phone for any online banking.
Secondly, on my main computer I do not have the paypal password saved but have to type it in each time (is this the safer or less safe choice?)
Currently having to use a backup computer and each time I log on paypal asks for verification via a phone text to enter.
I'm sure we would all welcome any hints from users as to how to keep our paypal accounts safe.
I rarely have any funds in my Paypal account - normally limited to refunds. But since I rarely inspect my Paypal I would never know if funds 'went missing'. Having the second bank account with limited funds in it, means that if anything goes missing, I spot it quite quickly, however the bank are quick to let you know if you go overdrawn, therefore drawing your attention to it.

As for not having online banking on the phone, the banks etc actively encourage the use of online banking (it saves them employing branch staff unfortunately though), they are responsible for the security of the app/online banking system. You have to make reasonable attempts to keep the device secure of course, but the apps are generally secure, and crucially, if you lose your phone, and funds are accessed by the app on that device, it then becomes the responsibility of the bank (because their security was compromised, providing you didnt leave the pass number/word attached lol).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 20:49   #17
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Same here , always get a text code .... but not i nthe case of these 32 , i've asked for an investigation but they've said it was all authorized so no suspicions were raised. so asked lots of questions as why /how someone got in and I got no texts, I did get one for a kosha payment i nthe middle of all these . ?

So asked for another investigation with queries on how someone got in ?

We will see.. the bank has been rather more proactive on this .

C

I have 2 factor set up as well but I think there is a flaw and when you speak to them maybe ask.
When I login and set this up you enter a mobile or landline number and they send the message to said number and you confirm it’s you however I can add my wife’s mobile number in and it’ll send a code to her phone however this maybe where the flaw is it doesn’t ask me to confirm this number.
So if someone gets into you account and adds there phone number you’ll know nothing about it.
This is my thoughts on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd January 2021, 19:27   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
WOULD THIS HAVE BEEN OF USE AS PROTECTION ???

Download IBM Security Trusteer Rapport 3.5 Build 2004.84
Nobody ???---This system encodes your pass word.---Recommended by banks.------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:43   #19
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Nobody ???---This system encodes your pass word.---Recommended by banks.------
My father ...... recommended and supplied by Santander for his online banking. He is the opposite to me, only using his laptop for online banking.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 21:58   #20
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

This might be a bit obvious to some/most/all, but... Do not ever ever re-use passwords for your various account logins. It it far too easy for one site to be fake,or be hacked, and then someone will try your username/password in gmail, amazon, PayPal etc.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote