Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th January 2021, 17:14   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
why lug all that weight around if you are not going to use it?

macafee2
A lot less weight than my missus.---

Anyway, why lug a four seat car around if you're not going to use the empty three seats.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2021, 19:07   #12
Mr Jiminy

Rover 75 saloon

Both have been replaced and are operating fine. When the weather decides to cheer up I'll have a gander at the in tank pipes and report back to HQ!
Mr Jiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 09:49   #13
dazzle07

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Trying to clarify the 1/4 tank issue

Hi everyone. Can I just check that is the problem I am having?
I have a R75 2003 Connoisseur CDT SE diesel, and the BEST CAR I have ever driven. I love it!
The fuel gauge was doing strange things- full one minute, down to hlaf the next back to full down to a quarter. But I kept a regular top up and figured I'd get that checked when in for a service.
But a few weeks ago I was driving down a steep hill and the engine cut out.
RAC guy used to have one, reached in the fuel tank (under the back seat) and hey presto it started.
But then a few days later, down a hill, and cut out again. After a few minutes of trying she started.
I put £20 of fuel in and got her home, but the next day she refused to start.

I took her in (after managing to get her to start a couple of weeks later) to my local garage and there were a number of issues. First, the battery was knackered, not charging properly and that could of course explain the problem with the fuel gauge.

He took out the pump in the saddle side (passenger) and cleaned it out and put it back in after we failed to find a replacement.

The last couple of days she has driven fine, but I filled her up with fuel when I picked her up from the garage. However, when the engine is hot, there is a whirling noise under the bonnet that sounds like something is straining that is a new sound. I am thinking a fan has an issue although the car does not overheat. But then I read here about the under the bonnet fuel pump issue.

So a couple of questions:

1. My car has the BMW engine, so are the pumps (including the tank pumps) also BMW parts and if so, what are their part numbers?
2. Where under the bonnet is the fuel pump located? The noise is coming, I think, from the top left (passenger) side of the engine.
3. Could the knackered battery have actually been the cause all along of the cut out and fuel pump switching off?
4. Are there any other issues that could be the cause?

Many thanks in advance.
PS I rescued her from a guy who had only driven 21 miles in her over 18months and not really looked after her. Sadly with lockdown, in the 9 months I've had her, she only had the one long journey. I have now promised her at least one weekly run around our local motorway network (which takes a good two hours) so she can get some exercise and blow out any NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- in her system lol.

Last edited by dazzle07; 9th February 2021 at 09:51..
dazzle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 18:57   #14
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Hello and welcome, your issue could be a number of things! Dodgy underbonnet fuel pump (Located near the battery by the bulkhead) Beware cheap Chinese copies when replacing, get a genuine Pierburg one circa £130.

Your fuel gauge issues could be due to previous mechanics being ham fisted with the sender when removing or replacing, see the link below for the in tank pump gubbins.

If you are keeping the fuel above a quarter of a tank, then I suspect a failing underbonnet pump.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001964

You could of course contact Big Russ on here, he is around half an hour from you and can hook you up to his T4 (Rovers diagnostics) And pinpoint the exact cause of your issue.

Last edited by trikey; 9th February 2021 at 20:03..
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2021, 11:28   #15
dazzle07

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Thank you!

Thank you!!! I haven't run it down to 1/4 tank for a week and so far she's driving like a dream again- and I've deliberately drove her up and down steep hills. So at this stage I am hoping tank pump not the under bonnet pump. But Russ is gonna get a call as soon as I get paid!!
Old 11th February 2021, 12:38   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzle07 View Post
Thank you!!! I haven't run it down to 1/4 tank for a week and so far she's driving like a dream again- and I've deliberately drove her up and down steep hills. So at this stage I am hoping tank pump not the under bonnet pump. But Russ is gonna get a call as soon as I get paid!!
Get it done A.S.A.P as if the U.B. pump is doing all the work it might be close to failing itself.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2021, 21:53   #17
dazzle07

Rover 75 Saloon

Yeah, I'm just waiting for the cash to hit