Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th March 2015, 19:36   #11
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Default 75 M47R oil change

I am about to attempt my first oil change since acquiring my car last Sept I have covered 6k Miles and the oil is as black as the Ace of spades! (I do mostly motorway mileage and rarely exceed 2k RPM ( And cruise happily at 70 MPH! my car has FSH from new and as far as I can see all has been done properly inThe past.

I have collected all that I need : Oil :Mobil 10/40, Slick 50 (used it in 17 cars over 30 years!), Oil Filter, 36 mm low profile socket, fuel filter, air filter, a sealy vac extractor , this is because like so many other members I would prefer to do it this way as I do not want to have to invest in a new trolley jack or heavy duty axle stands and have to grovel around trying to remove the engine tray. I have watched the you tube video of the american Topsider in use and I recommend every member that does not have access to a proper lift or pit to view this as This method just looks the buisiness , if the topsider was available in this country I would have surely bought one but imported from the US it would cost nearly £100.

When it's all done I'll report back!! :
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 19:36   #12
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

As always an excellent how to, however I prefer a Pela-type of system works a treat, no mess no undertrays, every drop extracted, do it twice a year, with good quality oil/filter.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 19:54   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosephus View Post
Or save yourself a lot of hassle and use a Pela pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
I am about to attempt my first oil change since acquiring my car last Sept I have covered 6k Miles and the oil is as black as the Ace of spades! (I do mostly motorway mileage and rarely exceed 2k RPM ( And cruise happily at 70 MPH! my car has FSH from new and as far as I can see all has been done properly In The past.

I have collected all that I need : Oil :Mobil 10/40, Slick 50 (used it in 17 cars over 30 years!), Oil Filter, 36 mm low profile socket, fuel filter, air filter, a sealy vac extractor , this is because like so many other members I would prefer to do it this way as I do not want to have to invest in a new trolley jack or heavy duty axle stands and have to grovel around trying to remove the engine tray. I have watched the you tube video of the american Topsider in use and I recommend every member that does not have access to a proper lift or pit to view this as This method just looks the buisiness , if the topsider was available in this country I would have surely bought one but imported from the US it would cost nearly £100.
Hi Joe & Keith.
Nice bits of kit but it will not do a visual check of other parts under the car for you ie, hoses, lower engine mounts, lower wish bone bushes, turbo hose and leaking from the compressor and such so the old way is for me, Good luck with the service.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 21:50   #14
gazcon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2004 Cdti Contemporary & a 1999 V6 "jap spec"

Excellent how-to as always

Worth highlighting that when fitting the new large O ring onto the oil filter housing, it doesn't go in the top groove as you might think, but in the second groove down (as seen in fig 32).

I cut a hole in my undertray to allow access to the sump plug. Fortunately there were a few drips to mark where to cut! First time I changed the oil it took me longer to get the undertray back on than the rest of the job combined. Now changing the oil is so quick it almost doesn't feel like a 'proper' job anymore!

As Arctic says, still important to get the undertray off regularly to have a proper look around. Just nice not to have to when changing the oil if I know all's well elsewhere.
gazcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 22:06   #15
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Filters gradually become More efficient as they age and the holes in the filter medium slowly get Smaller.---
Surely if that were the case we would never need to change an oil filter - ever, there is a reason Royal Mail always fit an extra oil filter to their diesel trucks, it keeps the oil clean and prevents long term problems, it was a practice I adopted when running my wagons also, I would not take a chance on letting a filter get clogged, twice as often is always better than twice as long.
When I drain oil from a diesel I still want to see a glimmer of gold colour and not just jet black, this works for me.
If it has worked for you then its great, just not for me.

Still a perfect how to for anyone.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 06:54   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Maninder.
They should all be the same size unless someone as lost one and replaced it with a longer one, but you are correct, best to put either the same length or smaller bolts to top left of cover. 16mm would be best 20mm are fitted or should be.

Agreed Steve. The bolts on mine are all all the same size. But as there have been few reported cases of people puncturing through to the camshaft chamber due to having different length bolts and refitting a longer one in the top left hand position.... best to check.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 08:51   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Agreed Steve. The bolts on mine are all all the same size. But as there have been few reported cases of people puncturing through to the camshaft chamber due to having different length bolts and refitting a longer one in the top left hand position.... best to check.
Maninder
Thread as been edited to let members know thank you for pointing it out cheers Steve

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 10:16   #18
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Great post Steve, and timely too. With Easter approaching, maybe a few deals going on with the price of oil. Post will encourage the not so confident to tackle this very worthwhile task.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 11:37   #19
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

Arctic, a quick question, I just re-read your how to and realized two things.
1, you have bolts holding your undertray on where as mine has those awkward large threaded screws, is that because yours is an earlier car(noticed the extra under bonnet pump on the picture) or because yours is a manual?. I didn't even know the undertrays were different on manuals and autos!!.
2, I just realized that I don't take off my engine cover to change my oil filter (silly me for not realizing earlier!!) I'm sure there is enough room to do it with the cover in situ. Doesn't detract from your excellent "how to" though. As mentioned this may encourage others to have a go, which in my opinion is worth it's weight in gold!! Thanks.
Regards DaDragon
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 16:12   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Surely if that were the case we would never need to change an oil filter - ever, there is a reason Royal Mail always fit an extra oil filter to their diesel trucks, it keeps the oil clean and prevents long term problems, it was a practice I adopted when running my wagons also, I would not take a chance on letting a filter get clogged, twice as often is always better than twice as long.
When I drain oil from a diesel I still want to see a glimmer of gold colour and not just jet black, this works for me.
If it has worked for you then its great, just not for me.

Still a perfect how to for anyone.
Slight miss reading of my post. I didn't say Don't Change it. I merely said that throughout the course of its NORMAL life it slowly becomes more efficient.
You actually read something into my post that I didn't say.-

In your post you said yourself it was UN-Necessary which then begs the question------Why do it then ?????------Very odd.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote