Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th December 2020, 19:23   #1
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Default V6 thermostat and elbow piece question

Fitted new thermostat to our 2.0 V6 75 today and noticed that the thermostat.housing wasn't as tight fitting to the block as the original. With the hose to the water pump fitted and clamped and the elbow piece fitted and the bolt tightened up it felt a little wobbly in the block
Also the elbow piece that goes into the block was a very very tight fit (the plastic not the seal) anyone had any issues or noticed this themselves?

Thanks
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 09:16   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
With the hose to the water pump fitted and clamped and the elbow piece fitted and the bolt tightened up it felt a little wobbly in the block.
Hi Rob,

Both the curved pipe and the thermostat housing should be a tight fit. Were they MG Rover branded parts?

The wobble should have disappeared after assembly when you moved the plastic serrated clips outwards so that they're in intimate contact with the water pump and thermostat housings.

Simon
Old 8th December 2020, 10:13   #3
biffa75
Trader

Arrow

Hi Simon,

The thermostat and pipe aren't OEM rover mg items. I believe they could be circoli. As the bottom of the thermostat housing had two lugs that the original rover item didn't have.

One thing I need to is re-adjust those ratcheting clips. I was reading your p.m and thought.. Oop. Least I haven't started building stuff back up yet so I just need to back those clips off carefully and push them hard up against the water pump.and the other clip against the thermostat housing and tighten back up.

The elbow piece going I to the block was a real tight fit even with the seal removed. Got it to fit in the end but was real tight. The thermostat housing on the other hand wasn't quite as tight and even with the located bolt in place, could still be moved ever so slightly. But, I'm going to adjust those ratchet clips and hopefully that will add the rigidity I'm looking for. I've been told that this is how they are. (Never done this work on a kv6 so is all new to me).

I did break that T piece on the breather pipes that runs along the cam cover end but other than that.. was all good. I left the injectors in the alloy inlets and removed the inlets together as a complete unit.

Rob
Old 8th December 2020, 10:18   #4
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Smile

Not fitted yet but just in case - my thermostat housing & sensor being a little damp (but no leak & no coolant loss) - I've just bought a whole kit with both hoses and a reinforced housing from Mat Price (DMGRS).

Very happy with his courteous & fast service. He even refunded me because he'd grouped 2 items in one parcel & I'd ordered twice some items being already in the kit! So scared I'm by that dreadful death line of the 31st of December next...

I'll keep the stuff on the shelf not to be taken by surprise. I assume that the present one I've got is the genuine 21 year old housing.
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 10:36   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
As the bottom of the thermostat housing had two lugs that the original rover item didn't have.
That's excellent if you're referring to the legs which help to support the housing vertically. Mine has that modification and it was an MG Rover part from E Car Parts Ltd. in Sandy, Beds. From where did you get yours?

Let me know how you get on with the ratcheting clips. They're quite difficult to move once tightened.

Simon
Old 8th December 2020, 11:25   #6
biffa75
Trader

The kit I bought was the re-enforced kit from dmgrs. I didn't know it was an mgr part, I didn't they had changed it, from what I've read they had made plans to change the thermostat housing but it never came before it went under.
That does now make a lot more sense.. I was attributing some of the wobbly-ness to those legs, not allowing it to fully seat home as deep as the original, guess I was wrong.

I did speak to mat price from dmgrs via a Facebook post who also stated it was the design and how they are supposed to be.

Just to be clear for anyone who may read this, my questioning isn't relating to dmgrs in anyway. More my learning and getting a better understanding of the kv6 engine. Just wanted to clear that up as dmgrs have been great for me.

Right o well I was working on the big beast yesterday all day and then did my night shift last and have just got into bed as I type this. I'm hoping tomorrow I will be able to continue and sort those clips out... Fingers crossed.

Thanks
Rob