Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2021, 12:54   #1
freelancer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Connoisseur SE 2.5V6

Default Bonnet Struts

Back in November last year I got myself replacement bonnet struts from SGS engineering (great service) but to my shame had not noted the way round the originals were fitted. I fitted the struts which worked perfectly for several weeks and then to my surprise, one of them failed. I informed SGS who quite rightly said send them back. Long story short, they then got "lost" in the Christmas post. I eventually got some recompense from Royal Mail so last week got another pair but not before checking with the Customer Service and Sales at SGS that I should know which way up or which way round to fit them as I had belatedly and shamefully come to the conclusion that I had indeed probably fitted them the wrong way round and that may have been the cause of the failure.

(I had fitted them with piston end "up" (when the bonnet is open and the cylinder end "down" ).

To my surprise SGS have said this is definitely the correct way. I've asked them to double-check and they have confirmed that yes that is the right way up.

However I've seen other threads where the cylinder is fitted upwards and agree that "looks" right.

I wonder if anyone can explain which is the right way up, if in fact it matters or why it is that SGS when asked suggest to what I myself feel is the wrong way!!
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 13:01   #2
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

All the struts that I have fitted to things before, the rod always faces downwards(i.e. the cylinder body is at the top) and that's usually what the manufacturers state. They are certainly fitted that way round on bonnets and boot lids on the cars I have, and are on the ZT when I replaced them a couple of months ago.

I believe that if they are fitted with the rod facing up then seals can dry out.

That's what SGS site says?

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/help...l-a-gas-strut/

Last edited by kelvo; 16th February 2021 at 13:09.. Reason: link added
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 21:18   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
Back in November last year I got myself replacement bonnet struts from SGS engineering (great service) but to my shame had not noted the way round the originals were fitted. I fitted the struts which worked perfectly for several weeks and then to my surprise, one of them failed. I informed SGS who quite rightly said send them back. Long story short, they then got "lost" in the Christmas post. I eventually got some recompense from Royal Mail so last week got another pair but not before checking with the Customer Service and Sales at SGS that I should know which way up or which way round to fit them as I had belatedly and shamefully come to the conclusion that I had indeed probably fitted them the wrong way round and that may have been the cause of the failure.

(I had fitted them with piston end "up" (when the bonnet is open and the cylinder end "down" ).

To my surprise SGS have said this is definitely the correct way. I've asked them to double-check and they have confirmed that yes that is the right way up.

However I've seen other threads where the cylinder is fitted upwards and agree that "looks" right.

I wonder if anyone can explain which is the right way up, if in fact it matters or why it is that SGS when asked suggest to what I myself feel is the wrong way!!
Whoever you spoke to at SGS either misunderstood your question or doesn't know enough about their own product.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 22:43   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

So far as I know, the ‘container’ thick part of the strut is fitted at the top , on the bonnet/boot lid end. If it isn’t mine are on the wrong way round. There is also a picture in the Haynes Workshop Manual, and also on the back of the cover of the manual.

Last edited by bl52krz; 16th February 2021 at 22:47..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 20:00   #5
freelancer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Connoisseur SE 2.5V6

Amazing how a simple instruction "cylinder end always up" when fitting gas struts can be misconstrued.

For the bonnet of the Rover 75, with the bonnet open, the cylinder end of the strut is "up" confirmed by all manufacturing pics, manuals, x,000s of vehicles and the expert knowledge here.

The good people at SGS ("Customer Services") would have it that piston end up, is correct....because (their argument) when the bonnet is closed the cylinder end is (slightly) in the upwards position.

I do not believe SGS argument, I think they are more used to replying to boot strut way-up queries when the boot closing is often much more than 90deg and yes the cylinder clearly moves to being on top (as it were).

Does anyone know what the angle of repose of the bonnet struts are in the closed position? For me they are roughly horizontal.
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote