Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th December 2020, 12:49   #1
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Default Uneven front tyre wear

My front tyres are wearing out unevenly on the sides. I have added some pictures.

This type of wear happens on both sides on the nearside tyre and only on 1 side on the offside tyre.

These were new tyres put on 1.5 years ago along with new tie rods & a 4 wheel alignment. So far I done have 36.000 km (21.000 miles) with them, but to be fair I have been rather harsh on them.

the first picture shows how it's worn out, the second one shows the 1 side where it is still good.

For tyre pressures I use 32 psi and when going to germany I raise it to 36 psi

Also the car passed the MOT over here without any remarks on the tyres (there is still a decent amount of thread left on them)

Any suggestions on what could be the issue? I have heard that some rovers had faulty springs which cause them to eat tyres, is that the case here?

Edit: The pictures are not showing so I will just post the link to a screenshot:

1st picture: http://prntscr.com/waax3v

2nd picture: http://prntscr.com/wab2xc

Last edited by roverbeast75; 26th December 2020 at 13:01..
roverbeast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 17:32   #2
YMGF
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I wouldn't pretend to be the world's tyre/suspension expert, but I would be checking pressures still, (especially near side), and alignment generally. Pressures don't seem unreasonable but worth ruling out.
As far as I know the issue with springs relate to broken springs which can pierce tyres. MGR produced tyre protectors which provide some, but not total, protection from this. (This is not a problem confined to MGR cars).
Although the alignment has had checked not too long ago, I would still get it checked. Certainly our roads here could destroy alignment in 1.5 years!!!

What brand of tyre are they incidentally?

Michael
YMGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 18:25   #3
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

Hi, how many times to you travel to Germany?
Why do you raise the pressure to 36 psi?
Old 26th December 2020, 21:24   #4
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

If one tyre is worn badly on both sides then that is a good indication of the tyre pressures been below the recommended level. When you put air in them, do you do it before you have driven anywhere or do you drive to a garage to put air in? Air should always when possible be put in on a COLD tyre when the air inside is far denser and so gives a true reading.
The other tyre will be down to poor alignment. This can be caused by uneven roads including pot holes at speed. It could also be a sign of the suspension strut leaking and so throwing out the camber.
Old 27th December 2020, 05:02   #5
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMGF View Post
I wouldn't pretend to be the world's tyre/suspension expert, but I would be checking pressures still, (especially near side), and alignment generally. Pressures don't seem unreasonable but worth ruling out.
As far as I know the issue with springs relate to broken springs which can pierce tyres. MGR produced tyre protectors which provide some, but not total, protection from this. (This is not a problem confined to MGR cars).
Although the alignment has had checked not too long ago, I would still get it checked. Certainly our roads here could destroy alignment in 1.5 years!!!

What brand of tyre are they incidentally?

Michael
the brand is firemax, some chinese brand, they were quite cheap, 30 euro per tyre so 60 for both
Old 27th December 2020, 05:06   #6
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
Hi, how many times to you travel to Germany?
Why do you raise the pressure to 36 psi?
relatively often, of those 36.000 km , 10.000 of them were in germany.

I raise it because if u look at the tyre pressure document here on this forum, it says that the correct psi for speeds above 100 mph is 36 psi and 34 for the rear
Old 27th December 2020, 05:09   #7
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
If one tyre is worn badly on both sides then that is a good indication of the tyre pressures been below the recommended level. When you put air in them, do you do it before you have driven anywhere or do you drive to a garage to put air in? Air should always when possible be put in on a COLD tyre when the air inside is far denser and so gives a true reading.
The other tyre will be down to poor alignment. This can be caused by uneven roads including pot holes at speed. It could also be a sign of the suspension strut leaking and so throwing out the camber.
I usually put air in by myself at the petrol station near my home, it's not even a 2 minute drive so the tyres are pretty cold then.

I will definitely check it again and will most likely get the suspension etc checked before I decide to put on new tyres with an alignment.

thank u
Old 27th December 2020, 07:43   #8
YMGF
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

If you are inflating tyres at petrol stations it may be worth investing in a pressure gauge so you can check and be sure of a consistent pressure irrespective of variances in forecourt gauges. There are some decent digital or analogue gauges available and not too expensive.
Michael
YMGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 10:00   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Some of your problem lies with the fact that at that price your tyres are not of good quality.

Both edge wear usually is caused by under inflated tyres.

Single edge wear is tracking or sometimes poor quality manufacture of cheap tyres.

In my opinion good quality tyres will rid you of the problems you now have.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 10:08   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Tyre wear like that is also a classic sign of the lower track control arm rear bush having failed, leading to the wheel toeing out when accelerating and toeing in upon braking.

With the wheels in the straight ahead position, place the ball of your foot on the front of the wheel and see if the wheel moves back in the arch

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote