Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th March 2023, 17:29   #21
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

The problem is as the say in there adverts you can get a better price on another car with no Part Ex, a lot of dealers will offer less than WBAC when you are buying another car especially if its not in the best of condition. A couple of years ago a workmate was buying a newer Ford Galaxy, he was offered £50 for his old one by the dealer. The Old one had a new MOT and though mechanically perfect was scruffy. He ended up putting it on the Bay and got £600 for it.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2023, 23:24   #22
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

When l got together with my wife some years back she had a BMW X1 on tick. Deciding it was too expensive to keep we advertised it with nary an enquiry so we got a quote from one of these companies who offered £13k which was enough to pay the car off. After knocking us on the front tyres we got all but £200 of the settlement price which l was content to pay to get the thing gone. She did like it but l thought it was bland & boring.

So anyway we were glad that that particular company had taken it off our hands.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2023, 03:12   #23
CDT Player
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I just did a a quote for a friend of a 2018 Jaguar I-Pace HSE Hatchback Electric Automatic.. On WBAC

part X 35,000 value

WBAC valued it at 22,000
Not surprised about that as many dealers don't want second hand EV's as they are proving very difficult to sell on and the values of them are plummeting.

This is only going to get worst as more second hand EV's (with decreased battery life) come on to the market.
CDT Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2023, 12:34   #24
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT Player View Post
Not surprised about that as many dealers don't want second hand EV's as they are proving very difficult to sell on and the values of them are plummeting.

This is only going to get worst as more second hand EV's (with decreased battery life) come on to the market.
Bit illogical that and maybe just a blip. We will all be forced, eventually, to go EV though historical may be a loop hole. However, given the present situation (which might continue) how will none EV's produced in the last 10 years ever become Historic?

If the s/h EV market is difficult to sell on is the main reason lack of charging infrastructure besides poor battery life residuals (that I would think will improve but who knows).

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2023, 15:05   #25
CDT Player
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Bit illogical that and maybe just a blip. We will all be forced, eventually, to go EV though historical may be a loop hole. However, given the present situation (which might continue) how will none EV's produced in the last 10 years ever become Historic?

If the s/h EV market is difficult to sell on is the main reason lack of charging infrastructure besides poor battery life residuals (that I would think will improve but who knows).

Kev
The whole EV thing is just a fad there is fossil free petrol on the way along with hydrogen, running on food waste etc.

People aren't getting the range plus EV's are worst for the environment.

The ban on new petrol/diesel cars won't happen, the EU were set to ban the sale of new petrol/diesels in 2035 but Germany, Italy, Poland & Bulgaria have now blocked it.
CDT Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2023, 15:54   #26
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Bit illogical that and maybe just a blip. We will all be forced, eventually, to go EV though historical may be a loop hole.
I don't agree. I don't think a charging infrastructure capable of maintaining that amount of EV's will ever exist.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2023, 19:58   #27
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Apparently about 75% of vehicle recoveries at the moment are from EV's. Most are running out of charge or cant find a working charge point.
The problem is as I see it the amount of time it takes to charge compared with the amount of time it takes to refill the tank with a fossil fuel. If the charge time was even double the time to refill with a Hydrocarbon we would need less charge points, with the charge time being well over 5 times and could be 10 times we are going to need a lot of charging points not the half a dozen or so that seems to be the normal at a lot of service stations. Bank Holidays are going to be a knightmare, I can see it now a queue to even get into service stations to charge to get home.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2023, 11:21   #28
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
I don't agree. I don't think a charging infrastructure capable of maintaining that amount of EV's will ever exist.
This is exactly what I have tried to explain to people - it's ok at the moment, EV's are a niche product in the overall scheme of things - it's diesel power that keeps the country rolling, huge fleets of vans and trucks. Putting aside trucks over 3.5t because of their specific requirements, virtually all commercially used vehicles are diesel and as are a very large percentage of private cars.

If you consider how much diesel energy is used by these vehicles every day there is no way the power stations, transmission lines, primary and secondary substations can take over the requirement. The essentials just aren't there and will takes years to deploy.

Already the cracks are beginning to show - drivers disappointed at the real world range of EV's.

They are ideal for city centre delivery work and perhaps that's where they should be encouraged.

Manufacturers have made great strides in recent years to clean up the internal combustion engine and no doubt will continue to do so.

I fear the Green Debate is just a smoke and mirrors taxation tool going to used by the likes of Mayor Khan and his ilk. Leafy suburbs are not going to have the same level of noxious gases etc as the Strand.

The UK causes 1% of world pollution.

I'm old enough to remember the industrial north in the days before the Clean Air Act of (I think) 1968. Despite of ongoing industrialisation look how different the environment is today. Greta Thunberg would have collapsed into a permanent catatonic state.

Rant over, Matron's leading me away.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 15:28   #29
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT Player View Post
The whole EV thing is just a fad there is fossil free petrol on the way along with hydrogen, running on food waste etc.
Interesting, but don't tell the obese that they could become a fuel source ;-)
Quote:
People aren't getting the range plus EV's are worst for the environment.
Double now than the original Leaf (about 100).
Quote:
The ban on new petrol/diesel cars won't happen, the EU were set to ban the sale of new petrol/diesels in 2035 but Germany, Italy, Poland & Bulgaria have now blocked it.
Haaa, countries that have a vehicle manufacturing base. Pity David Cameron is still not PM. He could put the UK behind German auto manufacturing, just like during Dieselgate!

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 10th March 2023 at 16:02.. Reason: missing text
Old 10th March 2023, 15:38   #30
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
I did refer to that point in my final sentence.

I think the infrastructure gap will close but might be some time after the next uptake of EV purchasing, say, maybe a year before each ban. Probably be about usable except on Christmas holidays and such when love or money (well, maybe a shed load of wonga) will not get you a charging point for that long journey. Cheaper and less stressful to get family members to move closer to the EV location. Range, though, will get better over time.

Kev