Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd March 2015, 15:03   #1
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts
Default Remembering AOL.

In the late 90's AOL were my ISP, they had chat rooms, and the one I frequented was 'Antiques Chat'. Knew nothing of antiques (still don't) but it was a nice quiet room where a bunch of us, around 20 would chew the cud and have a little friendly banter. We chose this room 'cos it was quiet and didn't attract younger troublemakers. Another room 'Life Begins at Forty' had 7 rooms with the same name, these rooms had a capacity of 47...and they were all always full, dunno what that says Even though we were all 'online' friends, one or two began to overstep the mark with what was unacceptable behaviour. Boy did it blow up, threats of legal action, accusations and the most vile comments you wouldn't want to see. Rooms weren't moderated so it was a free for all with all comments listed below each other for all to see. There were good times too, not least the fact that I met Mrs. Heddy in Antiques Chat. The point of this ramble is of course folk, ones who perhaps wanted to be a bit of a maverick, a holier than thou type, I don't miss those days.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 15:45   #2
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
In the late 90's AOL were my ISP, they had chat rooms, and the one I frequented was 'Antiques Chat'. Knew nothing of antiques (still don't) but it was a nice quiet room where a bunch of us, around 20 would chew the cud and have a little friendly banter. We chose this room 'cos it was quiet and didn't attract younger troublemakers. Another room 'Life Begins at Forty' had 7 rooms with the same name, these rooms had a capacity of 47...and they were all always full, dunno what that says Even though we were all 'online' friends, one or two began to overstep the mark with what was unacceptable behaviour. Boy did it blow up, threats of legal action, accusations and the most vile comments you wouldn't want to see. Rooms weren't moderated so it was a free for all with all comments listed below each other for all to see. There were good times too, not least the fact that I met Mrs. Heddy in Antiques Chat. The point of this ramble is of course folk, ones who perhaps wanted to be a bit of a maverick, a holier than thou type, I don't miss those days.
Ah the days of 56 K modems and dial up was something else. I am still with AOL but it has been many years since I last checked out those chat rooms. I used to go in the Yanks V Brits and the Brits V the Germans lol it served the purpose of having an un censored rant and was a bit of fun
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote