Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2023, 20:50   #11
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Default I found this...

"From the manual....
Serviceability and replacing an instrument pack
None of the components that make up the IPK are serviceable and failure of one or all components requires a new IPK to be fitted. All warning lamps are driven by light emitting diodes (LED).
IPK’s should not be exchanged between vehicles. When a replacement is required a new IPK should be ordered. When a replacement IPK is fitted to the vehicle and configured to the vehicle using TestBook it will communicate with the LSM, via K-Bus, and the stored mileage will be transferred to the IPK. The light switch module periodically communicates with the IPK to update the information it stores for back-up purposes. It stores the vehicle identification number, vehicle total mileage and the SIA data. This data is updated every 100 Km.
When necessary a IPK with less than 255 Km recorded mileage can be reconfigured to match the vehicle it is being fitted to using TestBook. It will then be able to communicate with the LSM when the ignition is switched ’on’. If the LSM recorded mileage is more than the IPK mileage, this figure will be transferred to the IPK odometer.
If the IPK has more than 255 Km recorded mileage it will not accept the LSM recorded figure after configuration. Instead it will attempt to update the recorded mileage stored in the LSM. If a new LSM has been fitted with zero miles recorded the LSM will accept the figure from the IPK. If the LSM has a valid mileage recorded already, it will not accept a new figure from the IPK which exceeds the recorded mileage by more than 1000 Km. For example if a new value of 6,500 Km was sent to an LSM with a recorded mileage of 5,000 Km the LSM would ignore this new figure.
A working/valid LSM will be updated with new mileage figures every 100 Km via K-Bus. Once it has reached 300,000 Km it ceases to update the mileage. It is therefore conceivable that an IPK, of correct specification, could be fitted to a vehicle outside the correct procedure with incorrect mileage data (without configuring it). There are as yet no visible warnings to inform the driver.
Once TestBook is connected to the vehicle problems with the central coding key would occur and communication with the IPK would not be possible - making it clear to the dealer that a problem exists. If an IPK of incorrect configuration and specification is exchanged without configuration by TestBook errors will occur - such as the illumination of various warning lamps- indicating a problem exists."

So my understanding of this is that my LSM has recorded the mileage ever since the original (faulty) IPK was replaced with a second hand one (complete with 'err' in place of the trip display) and while it worked, it was reminding me of the mismatch.

Fast forward to today, my original IPK has been reinstalled, the mileage is different and from what I can gather from the manual, the LSM will have updated the IPK with the correct mileage (as I certainly haven't done more than 300,000km in the car.) Proof, as it were, that the trip display is no longer showing 'err' and is displaying correctly.

The significant parts of the quote for me are the section on mismatch, the way the LSM stores the mileage, and the way the IPK is updated by the LSM.

Though likely to be completely wrong about this, I'm quietly confident in the mileage presently displayed, particularly as I really don't do many miles in the car.

Dale
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 14:58   #12
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie666 View Post
I don't know if anyone has any interest in this but when I swapped out my original IPK with my second hand one, the mileage on the second hand one read something like 117000. Now I have reinstalled the original IPK it's showing the true mileage, which is around 87000.
Along with all the other things I don't know, I am guessing that this is a low(ish) mileage for a 22 year old car. I was also wondering what might happen at MOT time with the mileage being lower. I'm certainly never selling her so
You're lucky. Must not have been driven much. The mileage updates from the IPK to the LSM every 100km. The mileage on the LSM would have been updated if the car was driven. The mileage is only updated from the LSM to the IPK when programming a new LSM in using a T4

Last edited by Jamiewelch; 10th March 2023 at 15:13..
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 15:51   #13
2L-Diesel
StuartC

Rover 75 Saloon

Default MOT Surprise

I had my car MOT'd in September and the garage mis-read the mileage by 10000 miles.
I did not notice for about 2 weeks, but went back and it appears you can alter the MOT mileage. He said as far as he knew, you had a certain amount of time to alter it, but didn't know how long. Maybe worth trying.
Stuart.
2L-Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote