Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th December 2021, 23:27   #41
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
Car still driving okay in regards to the clutch other than a small weep from the master cylinder that comes from the dust boot and then runs down the body of the master cylinder. Hasn't caused an issue as yet and not required topping up to I'm leaving it just for now incase it's a little bit too full and excess pressure is seeping past (clutching at straws perhaps but..)

It got a good workout today when we got stuck in a field visiting Santa with the little one. Was finally plucked free by a discovery, even that struggled.

One weird issue I do have is the annoying abs fault warning flashing up after driving for some distance accompanied by a sudden loss of throttle. Lasts only a second or two so not enough of an issue to cause me delve into things (finances prohibit) anyone any ideas?

After it has flashed up and gone off, all is well, abs works and everything is fine.. as if something is causing a glitch or some kind.

Thanks
I hope it’s not leaking, but I wouldn’t be surpised!
I had a brand new master cylinder weep fluid. The thing that annoys me most is filling it without getting NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- in the reservoir. The cap presses against the insulation on the bulkhead and mine is now deteriorating. Even though I was carefull, when I removed my weeping master cylinder I noticed bits of the insulation material was sat in the master cylinder despite being very careful
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 07:30   #42
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Lightbulb

Unfortunately, our master cylinder is the original ap type (new) and leaked from the first day. So if it does prove to be a problem I'll be going for an Luk item as the rest of the clutch system is Luk now.

Thankfully we were able to remove the lower dash knee roll section and didn't have the issues of the insulation getting in the way but what a pain to fill it up.

Why put it there? Why not share the brake master cylinder reservoir like most cars do ..
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 12:50   #43
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
Ok, but they are the same engine with a couple of components that differ. It’s still a BMW M47 engine. Likewise while the gearboxes are not interchangeable because they have been altered for different applications, it’s still the same type of box housing exactly the same clutch and slave (which are interchangeable).

I know that perhaps there could be less LR owners going online talking about their cars problems, but none? I’ve read or heard of probably 50+ cases of premature slave cylinder failure on 75/ZT, and virtually none with the Freelander.

400k is impressive! How long has your most recent slave been fitted, and are you one who drives using the clutch normally? I ask as there is someone who has had a slave in for a long time, but they change gear without using the clutch, and I can’t remember who that is.
Yes I use the clutch normally. Just checked my service records, and for my Rover 75 clutch failures are:

85k miles; first clutch hydraulic failure. As it started life as a company car this was dealt with by a local main dealer.
118k miles; second clutch hydraulic failure. Repaired by a different local main dealer. I left the company and bought the car after this failure.
130k miles; hydraulic failure luckily repaired under warranty by the second main dealer.
286k miles; I replaced the master cylinder seals.
299k miles; I fitted a new slave cylinder and clutch kit.
411k miles; I replaced the slave cylinder and driven plate and fitted a second hand good DMF.
417k miles; I replaced the master cylinder with a stripped and cleaned second hand unit.

For the Freelander we bought it with 116k miles and the slave cylinder had recently been replaced. That replacement failed at 140k miles, and I fitted a new slave cylinder and the old driven plate from my 75 which was well within the wear limits stated by Landrover.

So in my very limited experience neither the Freelander or the 75 have shown any great reliability of the clutch hydraulics. I'm sure I heard for non service items the intended design life was 150k miles minimum. Most of the slave cylinders I've come across haven't done that.

Back in the day I used to work for a German luxury coach manufacturer as a service engineer, and so had to replace quite a few clutches when foreign coaches broke down here in the UK. I don't once remember fitting a replacement slave cylinder when replacing the driven plates. I had one separate failure of a slave cylinder, but given the high mileages the coaches used to cover it proves that it is possible to manufacture long lived reliable slave cylinders if you want to.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 14:24   #44
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Yes I use the clutch normally. Just checked my service records, and for my Rover 75 clutch failures are:

85k miles; first clutch hydraulic failure. As it started life as a company car this was dealt with by a local main dealer.
118k miles; second clutch hydraulic failure. Repaired by a different local main dealer. I left the company and bought the car after this failure.
130k miles; hydraulic failure luckily repaired under warranty by the second main dealer.
286k miles; I replaced the master cylinder seals.
299k miles; I fitted a new slave cylinder and clutch kit.
411k miles; I replaced the slave cylinder and driven plate and fitted a second hand good DMF.
417k miles; I replaced the master cylinder with a stripped and cleaned second hand unit.

For the Freelander we bought it with 116k miles and the slave cylinder had recently been replaced. That replacement failed at 140k miles, and I fitted a new slave cylinder and the old driven plate from my 75 which was well within the wear limits stated by Landrover.

So in my very limited experience neither the Freelander or the 75 have shown any great reliability of the clutch hydraulics. I'm sure I heard for non service items the intended design life was 150k miles minimum. Most of the slave cylinders I've come across haven't done that.

Back in the day I used to work for a German luxury coach manufacturer as a service engineer, and so had to replace quite a few clutches when foreign coaches broke down here in the UK. I don't once remember fitting a replacement slave cylinder when replacing the driven plates. I had one separate failure of a slave cylinder, but given the high mileages the coaches used to cover it proves that it is possible to manufacture long lived reliable slave cylinders if you want to.

Do you know what was the first 3 hydraullic failures, master or slave?

So the clutch slave fitted at 299k lasted over 100k miles to 411k when you replaced it - this is good going for these cars! What mileage is it on now?
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 15:02   #45
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Sorry but didn't take any notice of the failures when it was a company car - just got a hire vehicle and picked it up when they'd finished working on it. At the time I thought I'd be getting another company car as we replaced them every 3 to 4 years.

Mileage now is just shy of 420k. It had 186 miles when delivered - it went from the factory to the leasing company in Wales and then down to me.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 6th December 2021 at 21:41..
Old 8th December 2021, 18:57   #46
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Well the metal piped versions were the original Freelander TD4 fitment.

Mike, from memory my pipes emerging out the top of the gearbox are metal and I was told long ago that judging by the pipes - the slave/clutch must have been changed at some time.

Would my 2004 MkII have originally had plastic at the slave end? and it the slave a TD4 metal piped version please?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2021, 19:20   #47
Mike Noc
This is my second home

As far as I know Harry all the Rover slave cylinders had the plastic pipes.
Old 9th December 2021, 15:16   #48
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
As far as I know Harry all the Rover slave cylinders had the plastic pipes.

Thanks, I have had concerns about whether it was or wasn't a replacement clutch since I got the car. Andy Willi soon after I got it, first suggested it had a new slave, so likely a clutch too.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote