Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2011, 12:37   #1

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 1.8 MLS or Ordinary Head Gasket

1st change I used an ordinary one, it lasted 10k before wearing a ring line in the head (Unknowingly) I repaced with Multi layer type, which because of the ring line didn't cure combustion gases into the cooling system. When I took head off water and oil was mixing this time. I am now getting head skimmed but don't know wether to go back to an ordinary one? (I see the MLS as risky). I know what Harry Hill would do (FIGHT) but what advice can anyone give me.
201964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 12:46   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

hi i think to stand any chance of success the mls must be fitted as kit ie with the the bolts and the uprated ladder rail.the earlier type is better at seal the fire ring providing your liner levels are ok and without making statements in the obvious that the head is flat
Old 24th November 2011, 13:10   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

The "oil ladder" (as they call it ) strengthens the whole unit, and reduces flexing, and the old one, apart from not being as strong, will deff have had the threads stressed badly. So as the man sez, get the whole kit. innit.

You also need to make sure the bore heights are correct and free of any movement, or they will damage the head gasket..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 05:50   #4
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201964 View Post
1st change I used an ordinary one, it lasted 10k before wearing a ring line in the head (Unknowingly) I repaced with Multi layer type, which because of the ring line didn't cure combustion gases into the cooling system. When I took head off water and oil was mixing this time. I am now getting head skimmed but don't know wether to go back to an ordinary one? (I see the MLS as risky). I know what Harry Hill would do (FIGHT) but what advice can anyone give me.
Hi,

A "wearing ring" or fire ring indentation in the head indicates that the head has been overheated and lost its heat treatment properties --> gone soft. If this is the case, a new gasket will digg into the head and cause a new HGF. The only way to check this , is to have your head hardness tested at an engineering workshop and the values shall be above 95 Brinell. If below, the head is scrap. If the head is OK, do a skim and fit together with the MLS gasket, and of course check that the liner heigths are within spec.

An annealed (gone soft) cylinder head is the most common cause of repeated HGF`s and also the most neglected/lack of competence/overlooked part of the HGF repair. This also applies to many "proffesionals".

A 1mm head saver shim is available from Gosnay`s that shall be glued to the head with Stag Wellseal. This migth make a soft cylinder head serviceable. 1mm from the orginal head heigth has to be skimmed of the head before a shim like this is fitted and this one will of course replace the head saver shim includet in the MLS gasket kit.

Regarding the uprated oil ladder:
I will not say that I am rigth about this, but I have read several places that this is only a "nice to have" item for the Rover/MG application, but very important to have it fitted to a freelander application. The way the gearbox and IRD are fitted to the engine in a freelander, creates torsion in the engine block under load and the uprated oil ladder are designed to prevent this. This does not apply to a FWD installation. Please correct me if I am wrong on this If in doubt, have it fitted ( I have )

Last edited by beinet1; 25th November 2011 at 06:00..
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote