Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th May 2022, 19:06   #11
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savestones View Post
Amazing! Will check the brushes once I get to the condenser fan. One quick question: reading on the forum I hear that the metal tabs holding the motor plate are difficult to remove without breaking/disturbing the front bearings. Do you carefully bent them with pliers or something?
the tabs are ok if you treat them with care. mine were ok. the bigger problem was the mounting screws for the motor to come off. mine were well seized in place and were a challenge to release. there is a link on here for the brushes of where to buy from. they are the only ones that last. The cheap stuff on ebay are a waste of space and you will be back in there renewing the bushes again . simon may be able to give you a link for purchase of them, as i cannot remember where i bought them from, but they are recommended. if you have a large soldering iron it helps , as the heat dissipates when soldering and i had to buy a larger one . !! ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2022, 19:11   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Motor brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Simon may be able to give you a link for purchase of them, as i cannot remember where i bought them from, but they are recommended.
I'll gladly give you a link Nathan should you decide to keep your original 3 speed motor and repair it economically.

Simon
Old 26th May 2022, 12:43   #13
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'll gladly give you a link Nathan should you decide to keep your original 3 speed motor and repair it economically.

Simon

Should the fan be repairable I will for sure do that, been looking forward to taking it apart to check out the problem since writing the first post hahaha. I think I found the link in other threads posted, it is the product from engineeringcarbonproducts right?

With the video Arctic linked and the How To on removing the front bumper and all the bits in front of the fan I'm confident it will work. Now hoping that a fan repair and condenser replacement will have my AC running nice and cold before summer really hits
Savestones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2022, 21:14   #14
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

some members have said that after removing the plastic fan blade assembly, they had to replace it. i had no problem with mine. however i did mark it up to be fitted back in the same position , and made sure it ran true. again , a little care might be beneficial whilst removing...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 06:21   #15
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
the tabs are ok if you treat them with care. mine were ok. the bigger problem was the mounting screws for the motor to come off. mine were well seized in place and were a challenge to release...

I had the same problem with those screws and ended up having to cut a slot in one and use a big flat-headed screwdriver to get it out. I'd recommend getting some new screws to replace them at the end.

Also, I never did actually remove the fan blade part, the circuit board part is where all the magic happens and that can be fully removed so unless there's another reason I'm not aware of, I don't think you need to go to that trouble.
JefferiesFarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 07:20   #16
SD1too

Quote:
some members have said that after removing the plastic fan blade assembly, they had to replace it ... a little care might be beneficial whilst removing...

It's a bayonet fitting. Mine's still going strong in excess of 100,000 miles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferiesFarnol View Post
I had the same problem with those [motor mounting] screws ... I'd recommend getting some new screws to replace them at the end.

If I remember correctly they have Torx heads which are the worst to release when rusty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferiesFarnol View Post
I never did actually remove the fan blade part ... so unless there's another reason I'm not aware of, I don't think you need to go to that trouble.
That's understandable Hector as your 1.8 resistor system doubles the life of the motor brushes. KV6 3 speed owners who wish to renew worn brushes will need to remove the fan blades and the motor end cap to do so.

Simon
Old 27th May 2022, 09:06   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:

It's a bayonet fitting. Mine's still going strong in excess of 100,000 miles!

If I remember correctly they have Torx heads which are the worst to release when rusty.

Quote:
That's understandable Hector as your 1.8 resistor system doubles the life of the motor brushes. KV6 3 speed owners who wish to renew worn brushes will need to remove the fan blades and the motor end cap to do so.

Simon
Hi Simon.
I have never ever removed the fan blade unit on any replacement of the brushes, or repairing the motor, there is no need unless you purchase a new motor without the fan blade.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 13:11   #18
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Simon.
I have never ever removed the fan blade unit on any replacement of the brushes, or repairing the motor ...
Your pictures are better than my memory Steve! I did remove mine though, in order to put the motor in the vice to bend the end cap tabs. You must have a clever method for that too!

Simon
Old 4th June 2022, 06:24   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Your pictures are better than my memory Steve! I did remove mine though, in order to put the motor in the vice to bend the end cap tabs. You must have a clever method for that too!

Simon[/QUOTE
]

Hi Simon.
Not clever just some mole grips

https://youtu.be/ls1BJGxUoPo

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 22:29   #20
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Due to bad weather and delays in the shipping of the parts, I did not get around to replacing anything on the car before going to the mechanic today. After discussing with him, we decided that the best approach was just filling the car to see if it holds coolant. This all went fine and the car held all its coolant.

Here is the interesting thing: after filling up the aircon, the condensor fan was running again when doing the demister test!

Based on this, I concluded that the demist test for the front condenser fan only works if there is sufficient aircon coolant in the system!***

***For future reference, this does not seem to hold true for every car.

I was under the impression that turning the aircon off and demisting on should not require any aircon functioning, making the results a bit suprising to me, however this might be a nice sidenote to keep in mind when conducting the condenser fan test.

Last edited by Savestones; 24th July 2022 at 19:32..
Savestones is offline   Reply With Quote