Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th March 2022, 21:57   #451
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Do you have a sunroof? Also check the boot as water may have sloshed over from there

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2022, 15:39   #452
Carole N

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Thank you. I’ll have a look.
Carole N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2022, 23:33   #453
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole N View Post
Can anyone advise please what to do to remedy a pool of water in the rear passenger side foot well? Rover 75 saloon 1999.
This thread is really an information thread. Questions like your's should go in the tech help thread.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2022, 19:32   #454
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default The rain is coming

Hello all members/owners, it's that time of year once again when the weather is starting to turn, cold windy and very wet days and nights

So lets remember after all the dry weather those plenums will be full of fine dust, once mixed with water can become sludge, and if you have not clipped your plenum tube by 10/15mm at an angle then you could see it getting blocked.

Please do the above and check them after big down falls of rain be alert have fun cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2022, 12:02   #455
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

As post above.--I parked on a slope outside a friends house a couple of days ago.--I returned to see a large puddle forming under my car.---

Water was also dripping down off the bodywork. I caught some on a piece of cardboard. It was clear and had no smell. PLENUM ???

I tried rodding the outlet through the hole I'd drilled a couple of years ago. Not much success as it seemed to be almost blocked solid.--
Out with the tool kit and a removal of all the plastic trim above the plenum including the the wiper arms to give access to just about everything.
LOTS of sludge and bits of old pine needles.

Luckily I have a good/powerful wet vac.---It took that and a few bottles of water to wash all the sludge to the outlet to be rodded out.

Judging by the water level mark on the air filter the water had stopped just below the ECU.--A very narrow escape.

Now go read the post above mine and get cracking.--As they say---A stitch in time saves nine.

Last edited by COLVERT; 21st September 2022 at 20:39.. Reason: `Spelling mistake.
Old 11th September 2022, 19:38   #456
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

This prompted me to follow all of Steve's links to his historic posts on this. I added my thanks and then got stuck in. Someone had already done the drain tube mods. There was a good amount of leaf and mud debris present. The drain tube lumens were open but narrowed to the point that a winter deluge might indeed have filled the plenum chamber and damaged the ecu. The pollen filter looked pretty good, but I vacuumed out all the loose debris on the intake side anyway. For good measure, I also very carefully disconnected and re-connected the ecu. My thinking was to refresh any contacts that might be oxidised. I pulled out the small drain tube and cleaned up and replaced it. I left the one at the bottom of the plenum but cleaned it out with a (very)long screw driver.
I didn't manage to do the spy hole mod. When I get a suitable moment that will be followed up. I just need to find some aquarium foam now. Luckily we have no overhanging foliage here dropping leaves etc, but I could see that you'd only have to park once under the wrong tree in the autumn for it to be an expensive mistake!
Then I had a sudden doubt. Should I have disconnected the battery before disconnecting the ecu? Fortunately she fired up first time, so I guess I got away with it
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 22:21   #457
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
This prompted me to follow all of Steve's links to his historic posts on this. I added my thanks and then got stuck in. Someone had already done the drain tube mods. There was a good amount of leaf and mud debris present. The drain tube lumens were open but narrowed to the point that a winter deluge might indeed have filled the plenum chamber and damaged the ecu. The pollen filter looked pretty good, but I vacuumed out all the loose debris on the intake side anyway. For good measure, I also very carefully disconnected and re-connected the ecu. My thinking was to refresh any contacts that might be oxidised. I pulled out the small drain tube and cleaned up and replaced it. I left the one at the bottom of the plenum but cleaned it out with a (very)long screw driver.
I didn't manage to do the spy hole mod. When I get a suitable moment that will be followed up. I just need to find some aquarium foam now. Luckily we have no overhanging foliage here dropping leaves etc, but I could see that you'd only have to park once under the wrong tree in the autumn for it to be an expensive mistake!
Quote:
Then I had a sudden doubt. Should I have disconnected the battery before disconnecting the ecu? Fortunately she fired up first time, so I guess I got away with it
Hi Martin.
No need to have a doubt or worry, i have unplugged quite a few ECM/ECU without disconnecting the battery, what is important is it's always best to maybe do it after the ignition has been turned off for at least 30 minutes or more, that way most items will be asleep any garden centre with a fish part added to it will sell the aquarium foam.

You can even get it online
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133514651...r=432974251048

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 11th September 2022 at 22:23..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2022, 14:49   #458
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Martin.
No need to have a doubt or worry, i have unplugged quite a few ECM/ECU without disconnecting the battery, what is important is it's always best to maybe do it after the ignition has been turned off for at least 30 minutes or more, that way most items will be asleep any garden centre with a fish part added to it will sell the aquarium foam.

You can even get it online
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133514651...r=432974251048
order placed.

That's re-assuring to know ( purely by accident the ECU would have been asleep )
Old 13th September 2022, 11:07   #459
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Oxidised contacts. After doing so much work a quick squirt of contact cleaner might have been a good idea.---
Old 13th September 2022, 18:46   #460
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Oxidised contacts. After doing so much work a quick squirt of contact cleaner might have been a good idea.---
Drat and double drat I should have thought of that! The contacts did actually look very clean and being in a hurry, I didn't think! When I take everything apart to do the spyhole mod, that will be my opportunity for better future proofing.