Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st April 2013, 15:13   #1
shiner
Regional Secretary London South & West

Default Tourer tailgate will not open

Just as the boot of the car is full up and needs unpacking......
Will not open . Neither the tailgate opening solenoid or the tailgate window opening solenoid have any effect , same goes for the boot release button by the bonnet pull
Same me struggling with electrics as I don't like them , please could I have some pointers to be starting with please...?.
...l..before the ice cream melts would be amazing

Andy
T4.KV6 belt special tools
[2002 MG ZT 2.5 177 manual Starlight silver
2004 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160 manual green
shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 15:15   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Get in via the back seats being folded down, open the warning triangle cover on the inside of the tailgate and pull the manual boot release cord
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 15:23   #3
shiner
Regional Secretary London South & West

Thanks Paul will do
Any ideas on a possible fuse or wiring problem to start to fix it ?

Andy
T4.KV6 belt special tools
[2002 MG ZT 2.5 177 manual Starlight silver
2004 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160 manual green
shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 20:52   #4
Demon
Loves to post

BMW E92 325i Coupe & BMW E61 525i Auto Touring (Formerly ZT 190SE, ZT+ CDTi & 75 2.0 V6 Club SE)

My father's CDT tourer (which is post-140k and if it could talk would almost certainly be regularly reciting my late nan's favourite phrase - "age doesn't come by itself"...!) is suffering a similar problem right now. Though the tailgate window button is still working, the buttons under the plinth and footwell are unresponsive so I will be keen to see how you get on with this. Is it possible that operating the manual release will overcome a possible jam?
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 21:13   #5
stuadh
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190 & GSX1100G

Hi,

I've had this problem for ages and I finally found out what was causing it, in my car, at least. For me, it is caused by turning off the ignition too soon after coming to a halt using firm braking. The way to fix it is to drive the car fast enough to engage the auto-lock (can't remember the speed, but about 5mph). This 'resets' the boot door and it would ope again. Like you, nothing else would work. I tried the battery and using the inner tag etc all to no avail.

I've never pursued a fix. I just pause two marching steps after firm braking before turning the engine off or drive off for a few metres if I forget. I hope this helps.

Yours Aye

Stuadh
stuadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:05   #6
Demon
Loves to post

BMW E92 325i Coupe & BMW E61 525i Auto Touring (Formerly ZT 190SE, ZT+ CDTi & 75 2.0 V6 Club SE)

I've just had a visit from dad and had a look at his boot - got in with the pull-cord but it was still lifeless until I started pulling out the rubber grommet that covers the button. I took this off and just pushed the metal button hidden behind the grommet lots of times (exposed metal - not sure how safe this was...?!) and now it is magically working again - for now!
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 10:40   #7
marcus28
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Thanks Demon

Thanks Demon

Oldish thread I know but removing the grommet worked for me too. The tailgate got stuck two day's ago, the drivers remote button wouldn't work (actually hadn't worked since I got the car) but the window switch and emergency pull worked fine.

Removed the grommet the locking system when nuts for a few times, made me jump, and then all is fine. Just stuck the grommet back in again, though there are two nicks that are supposed to line up with the switch, et voila, even the remote switch now works.
Old 15th March 2022, 16:50   #8
Simon Fawcett

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur Diesel Tourer

Default Tourer tailgate will not open

I have a Rover 75 Con Se CDTi Mk1 Tourer with the same problem. The tailgate window opens (and locks) OK. But I cannot get the tailgate itself to open. Driver's remote doesn't work. Until I disconnected the battery, wait a short time and reconnected it. This prompted the lock to open. I've noticed also that the central locking works but gives a warning beep when I lock it.
If anyone has any idea what's going on here, advice much appreciated. Maybe a poor earth connection somewhere?
Many thanks.
Simon
Simon Fawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 08:09   #9
billh
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

The central locking beep is the system thinks something is not locked properly- in this case , the tailgate. Mine did it all the time even though it was locked. I fixed it by adjusting the position of the lock, slacken the mounting screws and move it around until it works. It still does it occasionally but only because there is an obstruction preventing the tailgate shutting properly- too much clutter in the back! Adjustment may fix the not unlocking problem.Also , check the seals round the t/g are correctly fitted.
billh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2022, 14:25   #10
Simon Fawcett

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur Diesel Tourer

Thanks for your answer Bill. Much appreciated.
I've checked/adjusted the seals around the tailgate and everything looks normal. I've noticed that when I do the battery trick I described earlier that it doesn't just unlock the tailgate, it opens it right up. So I thought it must be a problem with the tailgate release switch above the number plate. But this cannot be true if the other tailgate release switch by the driver's door also doesn't work. This suggests a more central problem - eg in the Body Control Unit. Does anyone know how I can test for this?
Thanks.
Simon Fawcett is offline   Reply With Quote