Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th May 2022, 12:48   #11
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The tank vent pipes plug into the top of the tank and if they aren't secured correctly then they could leak when the tank is full.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2022, 13:26   #12
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thank you - from what I can see on diagrams are they the pipes that run from the top centre of the tank to what looks like two smaller ports on either side of the main ports?

Is it possible to see if these are leaking from the two portholes under the seat?

Thanks again
Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2022, 14:03   #13
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

When it happened to me it was because the top of the pump had a crack in the plastic, fine if not full but leaked going round corners.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2022, 20:18   #14
Rover 75 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

Has your car got a webasto heater? If it has checck the pipework to and from the doseing pump located under the O/side behind the rear wheel or the fuel cooling radiator at the rear O/side corner
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 13:29   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workhorse View Post
Is it possible to see if these are leaking from the two portholes under the seat?

Thanks again
I stripped the tank out before looking at it so didn't check. I've sent you a PM which might help.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2022, 15:59   #16
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I topped the car up with cans on the driveway so see if I could get a better look at where the leak was coming from, and on closer inspection it does seem to be coming from the driver's side (where the filler is) and towards the back of the tank. Going off pictures I've looked up this seems to be fairly well where the filler neck is so I'm wondering if it's something to do with that - maybe the hose that attaches the filler pipe to the tank inlet??

It looks very dramatic when it is leaking but stops very quickly and I think only quite a small amount is coming out when it is absolutely brimmed.
Old 3rd June 2022, 16:45   #17
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Below hopefully is a fairly clear illustration of whereabouts it is coming from! It's going to be a garage job either way, but it'd be useful to have an idea of what it could potentially be.
PXL_20220603_154141599_exported_765 by Ru W, on Flickr
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:15   #18
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

And just to add to the confusion I turned the car around and tried again, only this time it's leaking from both sides and it is clearly coming from the passenger side port seal, which had already been replaced! Question now is whether it was always just that port or if there's two leaks going on! I don't really understand why it was leaking just from the driver's side when parked facing uphill if it's the passenger side port leaking
Old 19th July 2022, 14:59   #19
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

An update to conclude this saga - after replacing one of the module seals again it was obvious that this hadn't solved the leak and it was still coming from somewhere else. I'm not certain that the module seal was still leaking or just appeared to be from the leak higher up.

In the end the fuel tank came out, and the source of the leak became obvious. It appears that a rodent of some description had chewed through one of the 90 degree breather pipe outlets on top of the tank!

I'll see if I can add some pictures in due course, but I can't see any other explantion for the damage. The garage said it wasn't the first time they'd seen rodent damage to a fuel system.