Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th April 2022, 17:42   #11
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I think I would be getting someone else to look at your car as it burst a brake pipe so brakes must have been working to burst the pipe? Now cant bleed any of the system very strange, if it has run out of fluid it will need to go on a T4 as well to bleed ABS module
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2022, 19:45   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
... if it has run out of fluid it will need to go on a T4 as well to bleed ABS module
This was not my experience.

When my brake lines from front to rear burst due to corrosion my master cylinder repeatedly emptied during a journey. I replaced the defective pipe runs and successfully bled the system with nothing more than Easi Bleed.

Reading RAVE shows that the ABS module would only need bleeding using T4 if ABS braking was activated during the brake fluid leak or if the ignition was switched on during the traditional bleeding process (which would be unnecessary anyway). The reason for this is that under normal braking the only active components are the master cylinder, the pipework and the calipers.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 7th April 2022 at 20:43..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2022, 08:17   #13
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

When my brake lines from front to rear burst due to corrosion my master cylinder repeatedly emptied during a journey. I replaced the defective pipe runs and successfully bled the system with nothing more than Easi Bleed.

Reading RAVE shows that the ABS module would only need bleeding using T4 if ABS braking was activated during the brake fluid leak or if the ignition was switched on during the traditional bleeding process (which would be unnecessary anyway). The reason for this is that under normal braking the only active components are the master cylinder, the pipework and the calipers.

Simon
Simon

Yet again you are preaching from Rave to bleed the system properly you do need T4 or other suitable equipment to run the abs module there is a thread about this by bigruss if you read it then it might give you some more crucial information about bleeding brakes

Dave
Old 8th April 2022, 08:37   #14
shiner
Regional Secretary London South & West

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Simon
This is you're experience (1x failed brake pipe on you're own car).
Firstly never had a pipe fail on my own car, always changed them when noticed by myself or a mot tester.
As you said you topped up you're reseviour several times, you didn't run you're system dry. Had you done do you would have experienced, like others the need for a t4 or pscan to run the abs modulator to purge the system of air. Why suggest then the mechanic is at fault and the repair cost is on him, just because it isn't the same as the one senario you encountered?

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Andy
T4.KV6 belt special tools
[2002 MG ZT 2.5 177 manual Starlight silver
2004 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160 manual green
shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2022, 09:37   #15
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Simon

Yet again you are preaching from Rave to bleed the system properly you do need T4 or other suitable equipment to run the abs module there is a thread about this by bigruss if you read it then it might give you some more crucial information about bleeding brakes

Dave
Is this the thread you are referring to Dave? https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=63314

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2022, 09:44   #16
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
This is you're experience (1x failed brake pipe on you're own car).
Firstly never had a pipe fail on my own car, always changed them when noticed by myself or a mot tester.
As you said you topped up you're reseviour several times, you didn't run you're system dry. Had you done do you would have experienced, like others the need for a t4 or pscan to run the abs modulator to purge the system of air. Why suggest then the mechanic is at fault and the repair cost is on him, just because it isn't the same as the one senario you encountered?

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Because he undertook to do a job and is unable to complete the job !

It's certainly not the customers fault, nor should the customer be expected to find a solution.
Old 8th April 2022, 10:32   #17
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
... you didn't run you're system dry. Had you done do you would have experienced, like others the need for a t4 or pscan to run the abs modulator to purge the system of air. k
Hello Andy,

Whether the braking system is run dry or not is actually irrelevant.

In normal braking mode (ABS modulator inactive) "... fluid from the master cylinder assembly flows through the open ... inlet solenoid valves to operate the brakes." (RAVE 70-21) It really is as simple as that.

As the ABS modulator has not operated no air can be drawn into the accumulator/pump assembly. It is therefore unnecessary to run the modulator to remove air that isn't there. Any air present in the modulator's pipework and open inlet solenoid valve will be purged by conventional bleeding methods. This is illustrated clearly in the modulator schematics in RAVE 70-19 (non-ETC) and 70-20 (ETC).

The MG Rover instructions for bleeding the brakes (Service procedures 70-4) describe the conventional method. There is absolutely no mention of mandatory or optional use of Testbook.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 8th April 2022 at 10:40..
Old 8th April 2022, 10:50   #18
SD1too

Quote:
... you do need T4 or other suitable equipment to run the abs module there is a thread about this by bigruss ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Is this the thread you are referring to Dave? https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=63314
Thank you Steve for the link. I have read Russ' post. He describes a bleeding operation where one circuit was free of air and the other wasn't. Downstream of the master cylinder both these circuits are identical. He chose to use T4 giving his opinion that this is the "proper" way to do it. The fact that the brakes are the dual circuit type has no bearing upon using T4.

Russ' claim in his penultimate paragraph that diagnostic equipment must be used to bleed the secondary circuit is incorrect, neither is it mentioned in MGR's service procedures.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 8th April 2022 at 10:53..
Old 8th April 2022, 11:19   #19
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Steve yes that's the one
Old 8th April 2022, 11:46   #20
Jeff Turbo
Loves to post

MGZT cdti

I had this problem when I changed two rear brake pipes in that air wouldn't come out of the system on one of my ZT's.
All I did was gravity method, left the nipple open and let gravity do the work, took a little longer but cleared all the air out, repeated the other side and repeatedly topped it up until needed.

Works every time for me even on other cars when I change brake pipes.
I completely changed all pipes on my Montego and left one nipple at a time open on the correct side at a time and that also worked.
2004 Monogram Poseidon MGZT cdti
2004 Pearl Black MGZT 260

Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 8th April 2022 at 11:49..
Jeff Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote