Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th April 2022, 20:45   #11
gliderdoctor

Rover75 tourer

Thanks for the info.

It is definitely cutting out, not a misfire. As the engine cuts for a second or so, the rev counter needle just drops, just as though the ignition is turned off, and then comes back up again when the engine picks up again.

Things seem to be pointing to the crank sensor, so I will have a look at the wiring for that tomorrow when I can get the car into the workshop at work.

Is there any way of testing the crank sensor? With my other 75, the diesel tourer, I believe it was FrenchMike who wrote about how to check the fuel pressure, and a few other things on the diesel by checking the voltage on various sensors. Is there any thing similar for the crank sensor on the 1.8?

Also interesting to know about some 2.5's and v8 meeting the ULEZ rules. I have checked quite a few using the TFL website ULEZ checker, and so far, the only ones that I have found compliant were 1.8's from around late 2003 onwards. Good to know some others can also be compliant.

Many thanks
Dave
gliderdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 20:54   #12
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderdoctor View Post
Also interesting to know about some 2.5's and v8 meeting the ULEZ rules.
Not that I'm ever likely to drive in London but checked the 260 just out of curiosity. Liable for the congestion charge only, no mention of the ULEZ charge.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 21:18   #13
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

It is definitely cutting out, not a misfire. As the engine cuts for a second or so, the rev counter needle just drops, just as though the ignition is turned off, and then comes back up again when the engine picks up again.

Things seem to be pointing to the crank sensor, so I will have a look at the wiring for that tomorrow when I can get the car into the workshop at work.

Is there any way of testing the crank sensor? With my other 75, the diesel tourer, I believe it was FrenchMike who wrote about how to check the fuel pressure, and a few other things on the diesel by checking the voltage on various sensors. Is there any thing similar for the crank sensor on the 1.8?

Also interesting to know about some 2.5's and v8 meeting the ULEZ rules. I have checked quite a few using the TFL website ULEZ checker, and so far, the only ones that I have found compliant were 1.8's from around late 2003 onwards. Good to know some others can also be compliant.

Many thanks
Dave
The dropping rev counter for me points toward the crank sensor/wiring

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2022, 07:07   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Is there any way of testing the crank sensor?
I'm afraid not Dave. It's a Hall Effect device with an irregular square wave output so that the ECM can determine the exact position of the crankshaft. In any case, as the fault is intermittent testing is unreliable.

Your best tool is observation. Check the wiring for damage and connectors for contamination. I recall from other threads that on the 1.8 this passes close to the exhaust system.

Simon
Old 25th April 2022, 08:42   #15
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Probably, the best test, though dependent on the frequency of the fault, is to borrow someones crank sensor and run that. Some members are not using their vehicles so much recently. Good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2022, 11:49   #16
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

Is there any way of testing the crank sensor?

Have a look here it may be helpful
https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/H...g-a-Multimeter
Old 24th May 2022, 20:30   #17
gliderdoctor

Rover75 tourer

Thanks everyone.

I've been a bit busy with the day job mending aeroplanes to do much with the car the last few weeks, but I did change the crank sensor for a new one, and that seems to have cured the intermittent cutting out - thanks for the heads-up on that.

It's now being a bit stupid starting - cranks over fine but struggles to fire initially - runs fine once started though. I've checked the plugs and they are all fine, and I will put the compression tester on it later this week as I've been led to believe that low compressions will give poor starting.

I will let you know what I find!

Thanks for the help so far
Dave
gliderdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2022, 20:47   #18
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Assuming you have a 1.8 (your profile says CDTI) a common starter problem on the 1.8 is the corrosion or muck building up on the spade connector to the starter motor from the battery - give it a clean and see if that helps.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote