Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th May 2022, 09:49   #1
Kernowchristoff
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur Se hi line Mk 1 115 CDT

Default A little advice

Morning People

Just a some advice. I am going through a tough time of late health and family wont go into details.

However I need to too downsize. I am thinking of making my 20 year old Tourer my daily and parting with my Civic. I have spent a lot on her over 20 years rear arms back plates slave and master cylinders clutch rebuilt the air con system.

Last Mot was only a tiny bulge where the jacking point is and a slight weep on the brake pipe although I do need new pads and disks on the front and to fit the R50 Mini mod on the handbrake. Also serviced every year since new.

The mileage is 220,000 CDT. I love this thing its full of memories and do not want to let it go. I am I being daft I need some help.

Many thanks

Have a good day

Chris
Kernowchristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2022, 10:36   #2
Norman2CV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon. Pre Production.

Chris there is a thing called 'seller's remorse'
I once owned a diesel tourer which was dinged and scratched and a proper scruff with it's worn blue leather interior and aged patina I simply loved it ! To me it was the most comfortable car in the world. Then one day after the clutch pedal went to the floor I let it go for scrap and i regret that every day still. I survived a battle with the big 'C' and realized life is so short and i wish i still had that car ! Drekly from t' other side of Kernow.
Norman2CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2022, 12:55   #3
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Sounds like not much required to make it your daily driver again. Brake pipes are almost routine replacement items now and lots of folks here have done it. Some have rerouted them so as to avoid dropping the fuel tank. The little bubble at the jacking point will likely be a hole once the investigation starts. There is a fellow named Tom who is very highly regarded here for the repair/replacement of the rocker panel and jacking point infrastructure. If you can get the car to him, perfect. If not, he sells the replacement panels/parts (that he makes himself) so you can have your own body shop cut out the bad and weld in his new pieces. The parking brake compensator mod or Mini replacement is well documented here. I think Arctic may have a step-by-step with pictures here, as well.

Most certainly worth saving with not a lot of effort. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2022, 13:43   #4
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I had a '89 Rover 825td fastback, quite a basic spec, paid £425 for it, gave it a full service and an alternator and then drove it to Greece.

It was quite an adventure, the furthest I had driven up to that point was the south of France. I had to find and catch a ferry from Bari to Patras and then continue to the south of the Peloponnese. It was in December and the Alps were lovely when I went through the Mont Blanc Tunnel.

That was in 2003 and it stayed in that country until 2007 when I loaded it up with about 60 litres of our own olive oil (amongst other things) and returned to the UK with it.

What a lovely old barge, 80mph was about 2,300 rpm if I remember correctly and a 400 mile day was like 40 - so comfortable and laid back.

As we do, I sold it to a friend who promptly scrapped it when it failed the next MOT just for the sake of a light switch.

As I type this I have a photo of the car on my desk taken at Athens airport when I dropped my wife off for a return visit to Dorset.

Such fond memories of what was a cheap car but turned out to be a much cherished companion to bash across Europe with.

And now, you just don't see them about - I always rated the 800 series, big with a nice cabin, very good ride.

Last edited by Costa Fortuna; 26th May 2022 at 13:45.. Reason: Spacing
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 08:33   #5
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernowchristoff View Post

The mileage is 220,000 CDT. I love this thing its full of memories and do not want to let it go. I am I being daft I need some help.

You like your 75 a lot. Maybe it is especially nice, in situations like this where you have a lot on your mind, to work on/drive your car to get your mind off of things. I don't know how much of a factor this would be for you, but it certainly worth taking into account I think.
Savestones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 12:15   #6
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Fortuna View Post
I had a '89 Rover 825td fastback, quite a basic spec, paid £425 for it, gave it a full service and an alternator and then drove it to Greece.

It was quite an adventure, the furthest I had driven up to that point was the south of France. I had to find and catch a ferry from Bari to Patras and then continue to the south of the Peloponnese. It was in December and the Alps were lovely when I went through the Mont Blanc Tunnel.

That was in 2003 and it stayed in that country until 2007 when I loaded it up with about 60 litres of our own olive oil (amongst other things) and returned to the UK with it.

What a lovely old barge, 80mph was about 2,300 rpm if I remember correctly and a 400 mile day was like 40 - so comfortable and laid back.

As we do, I sold it to a friend who promptly scrapped it when it failed the next MOT just for the sake of a light switch.

As I type this I have a photo of the car on my desk taken at Athens airport when I dropped my wife off for a return visit to Dorset.

Such fond memories of what was a cheap car but turned out to be a much cherished companion to bash across Europe with.

And now, you just don't see them about - I always rated the 800 series, big with a nice cabin, very good ride.
I'm with you all the way on that. Let mine go in 2012 and someone's got it tucked away, its been on sorn since then, Id love to find it. Norman2CV is so right about sellers remorse.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is online now   Reply With Quote