Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Members Cars For-Sale
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2012, 19:20   #1
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts
Default 1972 Rover P5B for sale

As I posted elsewhere on the forum about a month ago, I've fulfilled my dream of owning a Rover P5B. However, the car is insured as a modern car, and my insurance company contacted me shortly after the policy was paid, to say that they had made a mistake, and thought it was a P6B, and as a result, they expected me to pay an increased premium. I objected, saying that my documents clearly stated that it was a P5B, with my car's registration. In the end, they agreed to maintain my cover at the same price, BUT my excess is £2000! :shock: As a result, I've tried, with no success to insure the car all over the place, and yes, I really have tried everywhere! I wouldn't advertise my dream car for sale unless absolutely essential! Needless to say, I'm absolutely devastated. The car was bought with the intention of keeping it for a very long time, and eventually using it on a daily basis, so I can guarantee that it's a good car! I'd consider a P/X of something 2.0 or less.
The advert:
For sale.
1972 Rover P5B saloon in Zircon Blue, buckskin leather, with a full webasto sunroof, which is absolutely superb on a sunny day, and completely leak-free!
The history file for the car is absolutely enormous, with correspondence between all of the owners, one of those being Sir Christopher Leaver, a former Lord Mayor of London. It has had a full engine rebuild, with receipts to back this up, not very long ago! The interior is absolutely delightful, with the leather having a lovely clean look, but enough patina that it looks a genuinely cherished car! The woodwork, unfortunately is cracked. Rather interestingly, it's all walnut, which looks to have been fitted to a very high standard, but hasn't aged as well as one would hope!
The wheels are in good condition, and the tyres have plenty of tread. There is a full PD Gough stainless steel exhaust system fitted to the car as well. It's had new brake pipes fitted on my watch, as documented on this forum. There appears to have been regular maintenance carried out on the car by its owners, with thousands of pounds-worth of receipts from JR Wadhams, and other well-known parts suppliers! The car had a very expensive restoration in the 80s, with new wings, door bottoms, a full respray, and a lot of rechroming! The bumpers aren't totally straight, but the chrome is pretty good! There's a radiomobile radio fitted to the car, and the rear heater works well.
There are quite a few spares with the car, including a full set of new hoses, with receipts, two rechromed numberplate surrounds, and several other smalls bits and pieces in new packaging too!
Bodily, the car looks absolutely brilliant. It presents itself very well indeed, with only one area requiring attention in the near future, at the bottom of the driver's side front wing. The sills are perfect, to the best of my knowledge, and having had quotes for a rusty P5, I know how important this is. I wouldn't have bought it unless it had been a very good one!
So, to summarise, a very nice, useable P5B with exceptional provenance, which looks very smart indeed!
As a result, I'm looking for offers in the region of £4250, but I'm very open to offers, and I'm most insistant that the car goes to a good home, and ideally, I'd like the opportunity to potentially buy the car back in the future, once I'm older. I know it's a cliché, but I have an absolutely genuine reason for sale, because, in short, continuing to insure it for the future, is going to be impossible.
I'd consider a P/X of something which is 2.0 or smaller, something like an MGB or another Rover/Triumph 2000, but let me know what you think, and I'll happily discuss the car with you!
PM me for any further information on the car.

FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 20:51   #2
sjc
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 180 Sports +, 2007 completely restored XJ 4.2 LWB Sovereign,Noble M400,LR Discovery 3

I'm a bit confused? You;re only selling the car because of your excess???
Old 20th March 2012, 21:11   #3
andyg2011
This is my second home

no mg/rover ATM

Wow thats a super car

Please click below for nano website and 2014 dates etc etc
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/i...nocard_sig.jpg

Thanks

Andy
andyg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 21:14   #4
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

I'm selling the car because the insurance is becoming impossible, and this coupled with the possibility of a £2000 excess to pay, should I, for example, scrape a car in Tesco's car park, and someone insists that it goes through on insurance. I'm sure that nobody here would want to be put in that situation!
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 00:49   #5
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Personally. I'd have a look at some Classic Car insurers and cancel your current policy. Try a brokerage, they can be quite competative and know what they are up against on the on-line/TV companies. You should be able to get a far better deal.

Classic car drivers do tend to be a lower risk.....

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 04:24   #6
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg2011 View Post
Wow thats a super car
very beautiful machine
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 05:55   #7
Lost Soul
Gets stuck in

Jaguar S Type Sport

That is stunning. And is one of my most Favourite cars on my wish list.
Lost Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 07:38   #8
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Personally. I'd have a look at some Classic Car insurers and cancel your current policy. Try a brokerage, they can be quite competative and know what they are up against on the on-line/TV companies. You should be able to get a far better deal.

Classic car drivers do tend to be a lower risk.....
Wot 'e said!

I've used Footman James in the past for both cars and Bikes and found them very good!

Last edited by MrDoodles; 21st March 2012 at 12:56..
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 07:47   #9
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

A stunning example of the era, oh I wish would be a lovely Sunday afternoon drive

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 10:39   #10
Quince99

Volvo S60 T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
Wot 'e said!

I've used Footman Jamaes in the past for both cars and Bikes and found them very good!
I've used Lancaster (for a Jaguar and Daimler) and can recommend those too.

Stunning car - it is indeed walnut and I could strip back and relacquer those for minimal outlay.
Quince99 is offline   Reply With Quote