Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd August 2016, 15:33   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Unhappy Nervous...***UPDATED****

I'm getting really nervous for tomorrow now after the previous ABS repairs to my car didn't work. I just have this horrid feeling I'm going to get a big diagnostic bill and still no speedo or ABS light off.

If its not sensors or bearings, what exactly else is there in the system that can go wrong, so I can prepare myself? I just read a post about these cars getting corroded ABS ECU's and one chap had the pins on the thing simply disintegrate, leaving him with no speedo, like me. So I guess that's one problem area? Loom issues? Anything else?

I should have been away on holiday this week, so I will be gutted if I have lost my time at the caravan and spent a load of dosh to get nowhere.

Last edited by Dawn; 4th August 2016 at 18:12.. Reason: Update
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:45   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I do feel your pain, ABS issues can give you the run around. You seem to have all the main reasons for fault covered though. Problem is, there's 4 of them, so pin pointing the sensor/wheel at fault is half the battle. Here's hoping for a cheap and happy ending
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:50   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Well as my speedo is out, I'm told the issue technically should be O/S/F, but doing that hasn't fixed it. That's why I was wondering if I had the same issue as the chap in the post I read, were it was the ECU/Pump corroded. I can only hope as an Xpart garage, the place will have more of a clue! I'm very nervous though as things are always worst case scenario for me as a rule! I just looked on Rimmers, and none traction ECU's appear to be £180 - how do I know if I have traction control or not?
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:03   #4
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts View Post
I'm getting really nervous for tomorrow now after the previous ABS repairs to my car didn't work. I just have this horrid feeling I'm going to get a big diagnostic bill and still no speedo or ABS light off.

If its not sensors or bearings, what exactly else is there in the system that can go wrong, so I can prepare myself? I just read a post about these cars getting corroded ABS ECU's and one chap had the pins on the thing simply disintegrate, leaving him with no speedo, like me. So I guess that's one problem area? Loom issues? Anything else?

I should have been away on holiday this week, so I will be gutted if I have lost my time at the caravan and spent a load of dosh to get nowhere.
I don't know if you are able to access any of the T4 operator diagnostics technicians in this club local to you? 2 years ago, the ABS on my V6 packed up. I met up with a T4 guy in a car park A10 Morrisons. He had a second hand ABS unit. The swap took no more than 15 minutes and was under £20. If at all possible, stick with the forum gurus. An X-part garage in Herts quoted nearly £1000 for the job. Thank you Rover54 for saving the day
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:04   #5
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Button on the dash that looks like a wheel slipping...

I cant find a pic, i doubt you'll have it to be honest!
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:14   #6
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

No, there are no buttons, thank goodness!

Gate-keeper, the nano guys T4'd it for me, but the codes it showed have been done by a local garage for me and it hasn't worked. That's why I'm so nervous now! I've just e-mailed the previous owner and asked if he knows anything, as someone had the ABS light blanked to hide this issue. I doubt he will answer, but you never know, and it would save me some time!
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:22   #7
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

I feel your frustration.

My ABS Sensor has been lit up for some time now. The speedo has stopped working too. Replaced the OSF sensor and it fixed it for a short time, but the light soon came on again and the speedo stopped.

I've since replaced the sensor a second time, but still to no avail.
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:29   #8
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I'll update this thread if we find a solution, so hopefully it will help other people! I have a feeling for what it costs, that my ABS light wasn't blanked off "just for a sensor" or bearing. So we'll see.
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:46   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I had one once where the abs light was on constantly, no fault codes on T4, turned out to be a faulty abs modulator due to previous battery acid damage.
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:56   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts View Post
No, there are no buttons, thank goodness!

Gate-keeper, the nano guys T4'd it for me, but the codes it showed have been done by a local garage for me and it hasn't worked. That's why I'm so nervous now! I've just e-mailed the previous owner and asked if he knows anything, as someone had the ABS light blanked to hide this issue. I doubt he will answer, but you never know, and it would save me some time!
I know it is possible to turn those warning lights off to get a car through the MOT. Not a practice which I agree with. The nano guys are very supportive to the forum members. I hope everything works out for you. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote