Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th April 2017, 21:45   #1
Casper171072

Rover 75 saloon

Default Rear seat belt problem on my estate

Has anyone any advice on removing the seat belt from the rear seat of my 75 estate. The problem is that when I have lowered the passenger side rear seat to put something large in. I have been unable to put the seat back up. The seat belt has jammed. It seems that the inertia in the seat belt has cut in and the belt webbing won't release to allow me to put the seat up. I think I need to get to the seat belt reel to investigate further which I think is in the seat back
Casper171072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 23:36   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

The problem is that the seat was constructed around the seat belt reel.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 09:51   #3
mikesmith2
Loves to post

None

You need to remove the back of the seat to get to the reel.

The problem is the reel has a small plastic cage with a metal ball inside, this locks the belt when tilted, however the ball jams in the plastic cage.

I took mine apart then removed the ball, the actual locking mechanism isn't affected and the belt works as normal.
mikesmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 10:53   #4
allan t
Avid contributor

mg zt cdti + 75 connie cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmith2 View Post
You need to remove the back of the seat to get to the reel.

The problem is the reel has a small plastic cage with a metal ball inside, this locks the belt when tilted, however the ball jams in the plastic cage.

I took mine apart then removed the ball, the actual locking mechanism isn't affected and the belt works as normal.
? Is the ball not part of the locking device,im sure car manufacturers did not put the ball in for no reason
allan t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 17:35   #5
mikesmith2
Loves to post

None

I think it's there in the event of the vehicle rolling over on to the roof so the belt stays locked.
mikesmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 18:52   #6
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I sprayed mine with copious amounts of silicon spray (not WD40) when it was sticking slightly-all good now. Spray it onto the belt and down into the unit.

I do the same to all the units and they operate as expected.

Craig.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 19:12   #7
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

It acts as a weight and is moved by inertia, locking the seat belt reel. Have you ever stopped quick and noticed that your seat/shoulder belt locked? That's so you don't spool out the unused portion of the belt and smack your face on the windshield or eat the steering wheel.
So it is there for a purpose.
philm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 22:23   #8
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

For those who clearly don't know, the belt in question has a release cable connected between the reel and the seat release button. For the most part, the use of the release button and gentle belt tugging usually releases the problem.
There are occasions where this simply won't make any difference, on this basis - the belt itself that attaches to the floor along side the receptacle for the outer n/s seat belt needs to be undone, or removed to allow some slack in the belt tension. This is made more tricky as the backrest of the seat in question is laying on top of the squab that you need to work beneath, but being patient, resourceful and working sensibly, you can access the torx bolt and remove it. Having gained some slack by doing this, will usually release the belt. When re-fitting it is worth threading the belt behind the seat base rather than through it.
Spraying safety belts with anything totally ignores all safety advice contained on the belt tags and also the owners handbook (Which suggest a damp cloth only) and removing belt reel components is utterly stupid not to mention potentially life changing consequences at worst.
I can also confirm that the belt's removal from the seat is quite a challenge for the first timer and not really recommended unless you have plenty of time to complete the work safely.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 11:31   #9
Casper171072

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for all the adive, when i get back homeI will have a go with the seat release button to see if thatfrees it off. In the event that it doesnt what next. If you shouldnt relelase the ball bearing or spray it with lubricant there must be a solution as im guessing they didnt do that when new.
Old 16th April 2017, 20:49   #10
Casper171072

Rover 75 saloon

Had a look at this issue this weekend. I have released the seat belt by removing the seat squab and undoing it so I have got the seat back up again. When I have looked into this is seems that as soon as you use the release to free the seat back the belt will not release so once you lower the seat back the belt won't release any to allow the seat back to be put back up again. Any ideas on what might be causing that and how to rectify it.