Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st January 2016, 22:52   #1
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Default Harmon Kardon

Hi All,

How do I know if I already have a Harmon Kardon set up in my ZT-T?

If not, before I fork out for another retro fit/upgrade is it any good and worth having or are there better aftermarket set ups?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as always (maybe I should make this my permanent signature as I'm always asking for advice lol).

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 23:01   #2
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Look in the top of the boot with the music on and there should be a sub woofer plus the small tweeters on the front doors usually say Harmon Kardom on them

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 23:14   #3
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Look in the top of the boot with the music on and there should be a sub woofer plus the small tweeters on the front doors usually say Harmon Kardom on them
Cheers mate, I'll check the tweeters tomorrow, mine is a ZT-T so not sure where the sub woofer would have been installed if it was lol.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
Old 21st January 2016, 23:19   #4
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

You'll know if you have HK fitted as the tweeters at the front have Harman Kardon on them and the left hand side of the boot carpet panel has a large speaker grill. It's obvious, so if you can't see it you don't have HK.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 01:41   #5
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
You'll know if you have HK fitted as the tweeters at the front have Harman Kardon on them and the left hand side of the boot carpet panel has a large speaker grill. It's obvious, so if you can't see it you don't have HK.
I didn't think I had it, just wasn't sure if the sub might have been tucked somewhere not obvious.

Is it worth retro fitting or should I just go for an aftermarket set up?

Lee.

Old 22nd January 2016, 07:55   #6
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTLEE View Post
I didn't think I had it, just wasn't sure if the sub might have been tucked somewhere not obvious.

Is it worth retro fitting or should I just go for an aftermarket set up?

I have it and was quite impressed by the standard of the sound. A little playing with the settings on the new head unit and I think it's great. Saying that I've only ever had standard stuff in cars before so not the most experienced!

From what I've read on here retrofitting the system is a pain and others have said that some aftermarket stuff is much better.

Suppose the newest harmon kardon set up in our cars is 11 years old and technology moves on quickly.
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 08:12   #7
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
I have it and was quite impressed by the standard of the sound. A little playing with the settings on the new head unit and I think it's great. Saying that I've only ever had standard stuff in cars before so not the most experienced!

From what I've read on here retrofitting the system is a pain and others have said that some aftermarket stuff is much better.

Suppose the newest harmon kardon set up in our cars is 11 years old and technology moves on quickly.
Thanks for the advice Coups, I never really thought about it being at least 11 year old technology and there will have been advancements since it was being used in our cars.

The one I have seen on eBay isn't cheap either and if it really is a pain to retro fit then I think I will hold off buying it for now and upgrade my sounds with an aftermarket set up.

Lee.

Old 22nd January 2016, 08:23   #8
Walter
Posted a thing or two

zebadee

Wink HK

If you can find HK speakers and tweeters in scrappy it makes a difference, I got 4 HK speakers @£5 each then couple of pairs of HK tweeters from fellow member onsite, makes difference speakers are straight swap for original ones, front tweeters again straight swap
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 08:40   #9
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post
If you can find HK speakers and tweeters in scrappy it makes a difference, I got 4 HK speakers @£5 each then couple of pairs of HK tweeters from fellow member onsite, makes difference speakers are straight swap for original ones, front tweeters again straight swap
That's not a bad idea, might just try swapping the speakers and tweeters out 1st to see if there's a slight improvement.

Lee.

Old 22nd January 2016, 08:49   #10
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

The HK can only function to its potential when it's amplified right. If you can find the HK amp that matches your car (there are 4 versions of amp) then the wiring isn't too difficult to.
Jakg has a good How To for installing the full HK into non Highline cars, and I have wrote a How To for retrofitting it into cars with the Highline system.

There are other options, it's less hassle to just buy a dedicated 4 channel amp and a good pair of components for the front doors. The internal amplifiers on a modern head unit will out perform the HK in many respects but it does all depend what you listen to.
I did fit the Range Rover HK door speakers as they have the same codes as our cars, thinking this was related to the phasing. I've tried all sorts and the best sound results are from modern amp and components rather than retrofitting HK

In addition, it could be an option to power the standard speakers on a modern head unit and just add a sub and 2 channel amp
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote