Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th April 2019, 18:27   #9521
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Completed the head gasket repair.

Now appear to have reversed my starting problem - it's now a bit more reluctant to start, but settles down once idle control/stabilisation sets in after 20secs or so.

Really losing faith to be honest, thoroughly sick of it just not being right.
Have you tried a throttle position reset? Key to ignition on (lights on dash lit) but not to starting position, press accelerator down fully and release 5 times, then without turning key back to off, turn fully to start the engine.
Old 28th April 2019, 18:44   #9522
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Yep, it's had innumerable throttle position resets over the past 6 months, none of which have made the slightest scrap of difference.

Wondering if it needs the idle properly setting up on T4...
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 20:05   #9523
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The hole was eight foot deep and fifteen across, and it took three chains for my chainsaw, and that's not counting the fact I'd sharpened each at least twice.

No digger involved, just a shovel and hard graft

Anyway today's job was much more sedate, I removed the drivers door card from the ZT, out with the badly scratched window glass, and carefully cleaned the lip seals, then fitted the one gifted to me last week by Saxo1980

It's a lot better than the one that came out, and I've derattled the sill button.

One down, eight to go

Brian
WOW. You could fit a whole car into a pit that size.--

Nothing much to say about my car but there never is.

Left it the other side of the channel to spend 10 days in GB.

Solar charger linked up and doing its bit.---

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 20:07   #9524
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Make a list of the usual suspects. Top of that list for me with any 1.8K would be IMG [ Inlet Manifold Gasket ] during or following CHG renewal repairs. Plugs, service etc can help too. My daily driver 1.8T with the MG6 engine needed two-three seconds before it would fire up and prone to stall until fully warmed. Annoying. I tipped a small bottle of Redex when I filled the fuel tank fully. Did that twice as the Redex was on special offer at Tescos. After that the engine now starts immediately I turn the key and settles down to normal revs after the usual warm up delay as it should and as the other 1.8 K-Series in the family do. These include and MGF, Lotus Elise S2 and my MG ZS 120 bought new in 2003 and in regular family daily driver service. So do the Rover 200 and 25 1.4 K-Series cars.

Now that is a very nice interior. Good to see a touch of class.
Those very seats have been parked outside your house John

I took them in part payment from a V8 owner for a mammoth recoding and session among other things........he'd removed them from his 40000 mile ignition blue 260 VIN 880 and left them in the back garden awaiting their trip to the tip

I carefully removed all of the hog rings from the back seat squab and cushion, and had my friend who is a car trimmer repair the squab which had been attacked with a stanley knife in order that the jammed seat could be removed

It added a touch of colour to an otherwise dreary car, and stayed fitted in there until I was pestered to death by the previous owner of Trikey's car to part company with them.

It served a purpose for me, as I also had a full set of heated memory sport leather seats, and leather being more practical for me than Alcantara.

They are really nice though, and along with the blue door cards, they look excellent

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 20:07   #9525
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Sound advice John, but I've already been through it all...

Timing is spot on
Plugs, oil and filters are new
Manifold is the metal VVC one, so no IMG to worry about.

Before I had it apart this time for the CHG, it would easily start and then the idle would go to pot, eventually traced to a bad #2 injector. Still a bit lumpy when cold though.

Now after this CHG change it struggles a bit to start, cold or hot, then settles down when idle stabilisation completes. You can literally have it idling fine, fully warm, then turn it off and immediately struggle to start again.
Old 28th April 2019, 20:16   #9526
marinabrian

MG ZT

And as a blast from the past, here you go, in their second home.........

After....

Brian
Old 28th April 2019, 20:18   #9527
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Sound advice John, but I've already been through it all...

Timing is spot on
Plugs, oil and filters are new
Manifold is the metal VVC one, so no IMG to worry about.

Before I had it apart this time for the CHG, it would easily start and then the idle would go to pot, eventually traced to a bad #2 injector. Still a bit lumpy when cold though.

Now after this CHG change it struggles a bit to start, cold or hot, then settles down when idle stabilisation completes. You can literally have it idling fine, fully warm, then turn it off and immediately struggle to start again.
Time to do a compression test I'd say........I'm willing to bet that number 2 and 3 will be slightly low

Brian
Old 28th April 2019, 20:39   #9528
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Time to do a compression test I'd say........I'm willing to bet that number 2 and 3 will be slightly low

Brian

You're probably right Brian, would hope not though as the head had to be skimmed to get it back flat.

What more could possibly go wrong...
Old 28th April 2019, 20:59   #9529
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
You're probably right Brian, would hope not though as the head had to be skimmed to get it back flat.

What more could possibly go wrong...
The exhaust valve seats distort readily when these are overheated Michael, and as a result they don't seal properly.

This is normally more evident on cylinders 2 and 3, which is why I always without exception do a paraffin test on all valves before skimming, which gives a good indication whether the seats need to be recut and the valves lapped in.

If there is any indication of fire ring indentation in the head face, then I remove all valves, recut the seats, reface the valves, and grind in all 16.

I hope this isn't the case, but I suspect it might well be........a simple compression test will confirm either way though.

Brian
Old 28th April 2019, 21:47   #9530
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Didn't do a liquid check, but did stick a light behind the valves and look through the ports (it's been opened out by DVA Power so makes it easier).

Had some issues initially with the tappets sticking, but with the cams out everything looked OK, no light to be seen (accepting that this isn't as good as liquid). It gradually seems to be getting better as well (had 5 starts so far, each is slightly easier than the previous)

It's not massively hard to start, just takes a fraction longer than it used to. Hopefully it doesn't have any issues getting me to work this week - that's the biggest frustration; being my daily driver all the work has to be crammed in on weekends with it roadworthy for the next Monday...