Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd May 2019, 13:17   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
No you can't, well certainly not safely

Brian
That's what I thought so I asked that question.

( Must be doing something right as I still have all my fingers at 82.-----)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 13:43   #12
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Just to be clear. Do you mean you can access and replace the top bearing without actually removing the strut from the car ???
Not in a month of Sundays - No.
But with the whole leg off the car IE:
Drop off the caliper complete & detach hose mount and tie / support
Drop off the track rod end and drop link from anti roll bar end.
Drop off the hub nut and bottom ball joint from the hub.
ABS wiring plug from engine bay
Then the 3 turret nuts off, then you have the whole leg there in your hand.
Place the leg into a vice or secure as well as possible, attach your spring clamps to the spring and the lower clamps to the PLATFORM BASE.
Attach a load strap to the middle of the coils and loop the strap to the leg lower end and take the slack up gradually as you slowly compress the spring sufficiently to release the top mount components, at this stage dont release the clamps or strap! Leave it all in the compressed state. A small clamping device to prevent the piston receeding is a good plan and will save time !
Remove the top mount, Clean components, re-assemble the top mount and attach ensuring the spring is still located at the base properly. Slowly release the clamps and strap progressively. This completed the re-fit is similar to removal process.
Plenty have been done using this strategy, even on a call out process in public car parks where the spring has broken.
So easily done with good tooling and the process of safety as paramount importance !

The piston clamp to prevent the strut receding is -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLAMP-FOR...72.m2749.l2649

Happy to do it if your in doubt !

Last edited by RogerHeinz57; 23rd May 2019 at 13:48.. Reason: .
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 21:51   #13
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Thanks, not sure I fancy messing with spring clamps on this car, it was dodgy enough on the little springs on the wife’s corsa, ZT springs look a lot more destructive. I think the driver side spring has started to rust fairly bad too, so should imagine I’d be best replacing that while I’m there, and then I’d have to do the other side. The more I type the more I’m convincing myself it’s a garage job!
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 22:06   #14
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I had mine done at a garage, it wasn't overly expensive.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2019, 10:05   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Thanks, not sure I fancy messing with spring clamps on this car, it was dodgy enough on the little springs on the wife’s corsa, ZT springs look a lot more destructive. I think the driver side spring has started to rust fairly bad too, so should imagine I’d be best replacing that while I’m there, and then I’d have to do the other side. The more I type the more I’m convincing myself it’s a garage job!
Absolutely, safety is paramount.---
Old 24th May 2019, 10:14   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Not in a month of Sundays - No.
But with the whole leg off the car IE:
Drop off the caliper complete & detach hose mount and tie / support
Drop off the track rod end and drop link from anti roll bar end.
Drop off the hub nut and bottom ball joint from the hub.
ABS wiring plug from engine bay
Then the 3 turret nuts off, then you have the whole leg there in your hand.
Place the leg into a vice or secure as well as possible, attach your spring clamps to the spring and the lower clamps to the PLATFORM BASE.
Attach a load strap to the middle of the coils and loop the strap to the leg lower end and take the slack up gradually as you slowly compress the spring sufficiently to release the top mount components, at this stage dont release the clamps or strap! Leave it all in the compressed state. A small clamping device to prevent the piston receeding is a good plan and will save time !
Remove the top mount, Clean components, re-assemble the top mount and attach ensuring the spring is still located at the base properly. Slowly release the clamps and strap progressively. This completed the re-fit is similar to removal process.
Plenty have been done using this strategy, even on a call out process in public car parks where the spring has broken.
So easily done with good tooling and the process of safety as paramount importance !

The piston clamp to prevent the strut receding is -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLAMP-FOR...72.m2749.l2649

Happy to do it if your in doubt !
Wow. Now that's a TINY bit different to your number 8 post.---

Not really a DIY job for most folk.---
Old 24th May 2019, 17:01   #17
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Quote:
Wow. Now that's a TINY bit different to your number 8 post.---

Not really a DIY job for most folk.---
Really ?

The post 8 gave a brief idea of the "Plan of attack"
The following post I made, gave a bit more detail, but either way - after you've done a few of these they are far from a complex job. The safety aspect is important, but just to add to the post :
As this is a ZT, the spring length is much shorter than a standard 75 spring for a diesel, this in part makes the job much easier.

Anyhow, I have made the offer and that's that !

Nothing in life was made to be easy, but we find ways to manage the hurdles as they come along !
Old 25th May 2019, 09:59   #18
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Really ?

The post 8 gave a brief idea of the "Plan of attack"
The following post I made, gave a bit more detail, but either way - after you've done a few of these they are far from a complex job. The safety aspect is important, but just to add to the post :
As this is a ZT, the spring length is much shorter than a standard 75 spring for a diesel, this in part makes the job much easier.

Anyhow, I have made the offer and that's that !

Nothing in life was made to be easy, but we find ways to manage the hurdles as they come along !
I didn't see the offer of help before. I'll get back to you on that, currently trying to price up parts on rimmers but their site doesn't seem to be working properly for me at the moment.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2019, 10:13   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Roger. Lots of the forum members have few tools and little knowledge of mechanical things. Probably more than 90% of the car drivers on the road have no idea how their car works.

The work you suggest is complex. I suspect you are looking at this from an engineers point of view.

For instance a couple of my intelligent friends, accountant/stock exchange members, wouldn't even be sure what end of a spanner to use. Like the majority of car owners they pay others to do the dirty work.--
Old 26th May 2019, 14:57   #20
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Quote:
Roger. Lots of the forum members have few tools and little knowledge of mechanical things. Probably more than 90% of the car drivers on the road have no idea how their car works.

The work you suggest is complex. I suspect you are looking at this from an engineers point of view.

For instance a couple of my intelligent friends, accountant/stock exchange members, wouldn't even be sure what end of a spanner to use. Like the majority of car owners they pay others to do the dirty work.--
I understand you, I look after plenty of these when time allows.
Yes I have the tools, experience and enthusiasm to perform this type of repair and have spent many occasions working alongside PhilT-4 completing many repairs that many would not even dream of doing.
So I hear what you say. I cannot do simple things like decorate a room, or fit carpets for example, so we all have our specific forte