Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th June 2019, 13:40   #161
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Bob, you must feel like crying. Boot is probably just the rear light seals though, so should be an easy fix. Noise from the front could be the fan giving up the ghost, and not necessarily related to the work of the bodyshop.

A couple of summers ago I was about and about in my '75 when I started to get a horrendous noise from the front of the car - a really nasty sound. Turned out to be the death throes of my fan and a Revotec kit from Jules sorted it out nicely.

The mirror cap is really annoying though. May be worth getting a couple of spares painted whilst the bodyshop still has the paint to hand. Frustrating times, I'm sure, but with your new home and Bananas new suit of clothes, you're still winning .

Cliff
Water is coming via the rear window and side trim and no doubt the lights are adding to the mix. The noise only comes on when the blower is on, other than that she is quiet.
The mirror cap was down to me thinking I would not need any help getting into the garage. Folded the mirror in driving in and then flipped the mirror out for some reason, then reversed and instead of stopping and folding the mirror back in I tried to do it whilst the car was rolling back.

If it was not for the move into the house taking my mind off of it then I think I would have just given up.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 14:23   #162
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Water is coming via the rear window and side trim and no doubt the lights are adding to the mix. The noise only comes on when the blower is on, other than that she is quiet.
The mirror cap was down to me thinking I would not need any help getting into the garage. Folded the mirror in driving in and then flipped the mirror out for some reason, then reversed and instead of stopping and folding the mirror back in I tried to do it whilst the car was rolling back.

If it was not for the move into the house taking my mind off of it then I think I would have just given up.
OUCH thats not good mate hope it gets sorted ASAP..
Here's something to cheer you up Aldi are selling rubarb and custard cider

Cheers Ian
Old 12th June 2019, 14:25   #163
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I feel for you Bob.
But, it is only a setback which you will look back on.

One way or another it will get sorted, as it is a very special car.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 14:35   #164
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Check inside the plenum behind the pollen filter Bob, make sure nothing has found its way Ito the fan for the blower.
Old 12th June 2019, 18:56   #165
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Sorry to hear this Bob, I did wonder myself when viewing the strip-down photos how likely would it be that certain areas would leak once rebuilt. MG Rover certainly didn't make it easy for us owners to keep our cars watertight did they?

It becomes very difficult when carefully stripping an old car for respray, even more difficult when putting everything back together. It would have benefited the garage to have ordered all new trim clips and paid close attention to the design weakness which is all so very common on these motors.

The noise from the front area, I wonder if something is fouling the fan blades Bob? Do you know if the garage had to take off the front slam panel etc, could they have incorrectly re-fitted or bent the panel in so way. The fan blades do run very close to the edges of the slam panel, its just a thought.

I'm sure it will all get sorted in no time Bob, chin up fella.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 17:04   #166
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool We are booked in, again..........................

............................................... on Tuesday next at 08.30.
The leaking from the rear window is coming through the trim, which will be removed again. Dried out and cleaned then re-fitted tighter. The side trims are loose so have to come off to be re-fitted. The rear light seals will be rechecked to see if they are letting water in.

We also have paint issues that I have now found out, the moving house has stopped me from really examining the finish properly.
There are places surrounding the boot and bonnet where you can see the undercoat. Along with the boot hinges, not that noticeable but still there. Inside the filler flap has not been painted properly.

The noise from the engine bay stopped on it’s own. Thought to be a leaf catching the fan. Took Banana for a 100 mile round trip on Sunday and there was no noise when the fan was on.

And the mirror cap will be resprayed, but that was down to me.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 22:48   #167
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
............................................... on Tuesday next at 08.30.
The leaking from the rear window is coming through the trim, which will be removed again. Dried out and cleaned then re-fitted tighter. The side trims are loose so have to come off to be re-fitted. The rear light seals will be rechecked to see if they are letting water in.

We also have paint issues that I have now found out, the moving house has stopped me from really examining the finish properly.
There are places surrounding the boot and bonnet where you can see the undercoat. Along with the boot hinges, not that noticeable but still there. Inside the filler flap has not been painted properly.

The noise from the engine bay stopped on it’s own. Thought to be a leaf catching the fan. Took Banana for a 100 mile round trip on Sunday and there was no noise when the fan was on.

And the mirror cap will be resprayed, but that was down to me.
Sorry but hardly ANYONE in the UK motor trade has a clue how to spray a car properly. Biggest bunch of con artists and shady clowns I have EVER experienced are car "body shops".

The average quality of work is probably worse than my mother could do.

Unfortunately if you really want "quality" in the UK you really have to pay though the nose for the best in the business. At least "mechanics" are dealing with big metal parts, when it comes to getting a decent finish with something that requires finesse such as paint, your average paint-monkey is absolutely and utterly inept.

If I ever have another bad finish from a body shop again, I am just going to headbutt the guy and smash his face into the paintwork he was responsible for, as you would rub a dogs nose in its own s***.

Edit, I even see on their page they even left the rear window finisher in! (as well as the rear bumper) At least it certainly looks like it. If that is the case, no-one should use AM Restorations in Plymouth, what a bunch of absolute cretins.

53hrs labour @ say £60 an hour = £3180 plus paint and materials....so more like either just under £4k, or ~£4.5k, Shocking.

Last edited by T16; 19th June 2019 at 23:11..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 23:41   #168
CCFMJL
Regular poster

MGF

My god that is bad, I have never had anything fully resprayed but if I did there is a guy near me (JB Coachworks) who has had nothing but praise since he started about 30 years ago, he's expensive but seemingly well worth it.
After reading some posts of yours, that is bad very bad as T16 said I too don't think there are many good body shops/painters now. It could also be to do with the chemicals ie all the cfc and Euro NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- in a lot of stuff is now banned...maybe not I don't know.
CCFMJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 00:46   #169
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

LOL, Ive had first hand experience of JB "Coachworks" and the spray job was absolute garbage.

Microblistering, orange peel, bad colour match, serious cowboy stuff, dont even get me started. I wouldn't even take a toy car there.

Like I said, 90% of these guys are basically monkeys who barely get their knuckles off the ground, and have the sheer audacity to pull the wool over your eyes that they are doing a good job.

I tell you now, the next person to screw me is going to wish they had never been born.

Last edited by T16; 20th June 2019 at 00:53..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 09:37   #170
CCFMJL
Regular poster

MGF

Oh

Was it Jim or one of the others, and yet anybody i spoke to through the years had nothing but praise.
CCFMJL is offline   Reply With Quote