Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th November 2018, 19:37   #51
mileshawk56
Gets stuck in

MGZT

Unhappy

And John regarding your Para 1 on post 44, it just gets worse, and I didn't believe it either. Chris.S
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 08:30   #52
roverbarmy
This is my second home

1999 Cowley V6 Auto Zircon Silver

Thanked 1,031 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post

The brakes on this car are now precisely as I like brakes to be.
I fitted new (Unipart) front discs and pads to my Cowley 75 for the MOT in August and the brakes had very little "feel" for ages. I'm very easy on brakes (my 214SEI was still on the originals at 12 years old) so it took a while for them to bed in. Good "solid" pedal now though! (stops on a sixpence!).
I had the sharp edge on a bracket, rubbing the radiator hose on my previous 1.8 Conny and did a similar thing to you with the wrap around hose. I also bent the offending bracket/clip to 45 degrees down.

Mike

Last edited by roverbarmy; 15th November 2018 at 08:35..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roverbarmy For This Useful Post:
Old 15th November 2018, 10:45   #53
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,146 Posts

Well done Mike. It's the little caring touches like that which can make any car not only a nice place to be, but a more reliable one as well. In my experience, recent generations of car users simply don't "get" that. That failing is often costly for them.

When I was very young less than ten, my old Granny used to tell stories about how times were once for her and most working class folks in our now nicer place to be UK. Diptheria, Rickets, TB, Infant Mortality ( She lost two! ) and the rest were commonplace. I had no idea what she meant when telling tales about the Workhouse. I know now. One of her many sayings I clearly remember although I had no idea what she was on about at the time. It was this :~

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Old Granny

A stitch in time saves nine.
I fully understand that saying now. So very true. It most certainly applies to car maintenance and then some.

Working on my Rover 620ti, Battery Tray removal revealed its two support brackets were corroded to bare metal having lost most of their loosened protective paint coatings. Out with the wire brush, cleaning agents ( OK Fairy Liquid much diluted in a Mist Sprayer ) followed by a wash over in recently boiled water direct from the kettle. Those brackets are now ready for a fresh coating of paint. I will use the remains of some HT Engine Black Gloss paint for that. Those support brackets are yet another "out of sight, out of mind" components which are never seen for obvious reasons. That is another saying my old Granny used now and again. ... She and her ten kids that did survive, helped to work and pay for this country to become what it is today. Some of those relatives including on my father's side paid the ultimate cost. It did not just happen. They made it happen.

Right off to Halfords for some new HT Paint.

It has to be made to make sense... with emphasis on MADE in GB
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 17:41   #54
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up MG ZT-T 1.8T Exhaust Downpipe Clamp Assembly

When removing the original engine from my now daily driver ZT-T 1.8T about three years ago, the Exhaust Downpipe Clamp was fractured so it was never refitted. I shall try and get the broken pieces welded so that it can be reused. New cost about £29.00p.

Have worked on six of these 1.8Ts and three have had that fractured in the same place. I ordered a new assembly from Rimmers sometime ago and only today, had the opportunity to fit it. Mainly due to unsuitable weather for lying about underneath a car in the cold and wet.

Anyway completed its fitting today so that's one more loose end tied on this car.

Pleased that's another job done.

Whilst under the car, I checked the Modified Mondeo Tie-Bar at the rear of the sump. This was fitted back in the summer. Seemed secure. :~

Finally, whilst still under the car secured on the Drive-on Ramps, I checked the 13mm Bolts on the Steering Rack and other stuff disturbed when dropping the sub-frame recently to fit the new Clutch Concentric Slave Cylinder. Best to check things like this when the opportunity is there as its so easy to get distracted and not tighten things fully.

Car is a pleasure to drive now and the heat output from the MG6 Power Unit is greatly appreciated by me this time of year. The persistent wind blasting from the East has increased the chill factor ... not nice at all... eye watering stuff today working outside even with the Sun visible in a near cloudless sky.

Old 12th December 2018, 19:23   #55
Rover 75 Tourer
Diesel Dick

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

Default Sub frame removal/replacement

Before I did a clutch cyl replacement I had read Brians threaded rod method.I found it a very effective way of doing this job single handed and with the car on axle stands.After doing one of my own cars I did another one for a workmate, modified the way I did it and used the threaded rod trick to remove the sub frame as well. Working this way I didn't need the use of a trolly jack at all and the beauty is that the sub frame is stable all the time and you don't need a second person.Like you I'm not a youngster
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 20:41   #56
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Default UPDATE on my CSC JOB 2000 miles on.

Closing on 2,000 miles since I renewed the CSC ( Concentric Slave Cylinder ) on my MG ZT-T 1.8T.

I used an ebay CSC which was half the price of the Luk one I bought previously which did not last more than 4,000 miles. That Luk never had the nice pedal travel or "feel" the car has now with the inexpensive CSC which looked almost identical in all respects.

Hope I have not spoken too soon...