Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th June 2019, 23:04   #11
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

My ZT does this, it seems to be a BMW trait (the rubber compound used and design), as lots of owners of those around the same ages as our cars all moan about it as well.

The creaking isn't loud, it's more like a constant faint plasticy rattle, but in what is an otherwise fairly quiet car it is one of my pet hates about the 75/ZT. It's just a shame MG-Rover didn't have the glass channel rubbers flocked. I've even looked in to having this done 'aftermarket' as it were.

You need to avoid silicone, as it makes it worse. I also find certain car polishes make it worse (Auto-glym super resin polish is a no-no).

Try cleaning the rubbers and glass with alcohol, and then apply a coating of 'gummi pflege' to the rubbers (which is what BMW recommended, it's some German stuff, you can get it on the net).
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 22:33   #12
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
The creaking or rattling is coming from the top of the windows when closed, if they are opened slightly the noise goes
LOL

I had the same issue. used to play a game of just cracking it down by 1mm or something and the noise would go. Actually I think it was being made by the inner waist rail despite sounding like the top, anyway I lost my temper and gave the glass a good push and pull (inside to out, not up and down) when it was about halfway down, noise disappeared and has never come back since.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 22:36   #13
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaker86 View Post
My ZT does this, it seems to be a BMW trait (the rubber compound used and design), as lots of owners of those around the same ages as our cars all moan about it as well.

The creaking isn't loud, it's more like a constant faint plasticy rattle, but in what is an otherwise fairly quiet car it is one of my pet hates about the 75/ZT. It's just a shame MG-Rover didn't have the glass channel rubbers flocked. I've even looked in to having this done 'aftermarket' as it were.

You need to avoid silicone, as it makes it worse. I also find certain car polishes make it worse (Auto-glym super resin polish is a no-no).

Try cleaning the rubbers and glass with alcohol, and then apply a coating of 'gummi pflege' to the rubbers (which is what BMW recommended, it's some German stuff, you can get it on the net).

I would just rub silicone spray on the top edge of the glass tbh. Far less messy, not convinced any of this will work, I noticed that mine was creaking when the window was closing, it was like the regulator was trying to push it too far. It would let out a noise almost like a tired groan. The other windows seemed to stop quicker than the problem window, which to my mind appeared to try and close for at least another half a second over the other three in the car, and this was the window which had the issue.

I think if the glass was adjusted on the regulator runner the problem would go away.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 07:05   #14
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

I think Neil hit the nail on the head about what the sound actually is .
And also it must be this as the silicone spray has made it worse.
As much as it annoys me it does bring a little smile to my face when I here that BMW got something wrong and rover's old solution was better
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 07:12   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The creaking comes from the mechanisms Russ, the only cure is to change them I’m afraid.
Old 20th June 2019, 09:46   #16
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

I think I've actually described the fault wrongly, it is more of a plasticky rattle from the top of the doors.
As it's got worse since I used the silicone I'm hopeful it's in that area.
I've ordered some alcohol cleaner and that German rubber restorer so will see how I get on
Old 20th June 2019, 09:56   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
I think I've actually described the fault wrongly, it is more of a plasticky rattle from the top of the doors.

As it's got worse since I used the silicone I'm hopeful it's in that area.

I've ordered some alcohol cleaner and that German rubber restorer so will see how I get on
Run the window all the way down, remove the seal, wash it and the door channel, including the section inside the door. Finish off with rubber restorer then refit.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 11:54   #18
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

My 75 done this however I put it down to another poor characteristic of the rattle from the diesel engine alongside rattling door pins, dash etc
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 12:58   #19
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

In that case Russ, try locking the doors while moving see if the noise goes away, it could be the door pins rattling.
Old 20th June 2019, 13:16   #20
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

I sorted those Andy with shrink wrap, cheers