Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th June 2019, 12:07   #11
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,767 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Finally, he sees the light and appreciates Mercedes (it's German )
I probably saw the light before you were born. One thing I do remember being castigated by older relatives back when I was a small boy when they asked me what my favourite car was. . What little me did not appreciate, the war and what it cost some of them was still very fresh in their memories and for good reason. Small boy me thought the war was very interesting. Planes and stuff in the sky over our East London home... Roof blown off when a victory V weapon fell a few yards away. Diving into the Anderson Shelter or crouching under the stairs when the air raid sirens sounded. An adventure. Never understood why I was not allowed to play on nearby bomb sites. Unexploded bombs... yeah right.

Move on a few years and still in East London, my new Honda's dualseat had a donation when someone cleared their nasal passages. Feelings were still strong and rightly so.

Move on a few decades now and UK roads and Car Parks are full of Japanese and German cars ... and where our once massive indigenous UK industries thrived and provided many good jobs and careers, there are now rust belt deserts. Miles of 'em and still ongoing.

It has to be made to make sense... with emphasis on MADE in GB
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 12:08   #12
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Best episode since Clarkson and Co left, and may gain traction, but still some way to go.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 00:24   #13
mininuts
Best before 4th October 2000

2005 MG ZT-T CDTI

Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,605 Posts

Just watched it on Iplayer..........I enjoyed it
I think if Peter Kay replaced Flintoff we’d have a new Max & Paddy show

Loving that tough little Mini

2005 MG ZT-T CDTi 160 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 09:03   #14
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Watched some of it again last night. First half only. Enjoyed it second time around. They are trying too hard for the comedy though.

Peter Kay is a natural and effortless funny man. Would make a fine Top Gear presenter too. There again, maybe not.

The Following User Says Thank You to MGJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 19th June 2019, 23:26   #15
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Planes and stuff in the sky over our East London home... Roof blown off when a victory V weapon fell a few yards away.
The back of my Grandparents house in Walthamstow was blown off by a nearby V1. Thankfully they survived & my Gran had to carry my mum out of her miraculously-untouched bed over the upstairs floor joists as the floorboards were gone. She told my mum to keep her eyes closed as she did it. One of their neighbours couldn't be found until someone looked up into a nearby tree. She hadn't survived.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 00:22   #16
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
The back of my Grandparents house in Walthamstow was blown off by a nearby V1. Thankfully they survived & my Gran had to carry my mum out of her miraculously-untouched bed over the upstairs floor joists as the floorboards were gone. She told my mum to keep her eyes closed as she did it. One of their neighbours couldn't be found until someone looked up into a nearby tree. She hadn't survived.
Small world.

I was born in Walthamstow. My parents and grandparents used to call it Walthamstow Essex... not E17. I remember it being far more rural then than it is today. Had they both still been alive, they'd be well into their 100s now. They had me and my younger brother relatively later in life which was not fashionable then as it has become in recent decades.

Both my father and mother were the youngest children in large families. Ten plus each. Most of their older siblings were born in Victorian times. Several of their brothers and sisters did not reach their first birthday. Scary tales of The Workhouse, diptheria, rickets, TB and nasty other stuff like polio under the infant mortality range of nasties.

This was back in the days without health care and benefits. How on earth my grandparents were they able to raise so many kids? I could only afford two and was closing fast on middle age before having broken the back of a crippling mortgage, we decided then was the time we could afford children.

Yes both me and my brother were born in the war. I enjoyed the war.. seen through the very young inexperienced eyes of a working class little boy from the East End.

Back on Top Gear topic.

Having initially been disappointed with that first viewing, second time I found it more entertaining. Shall reserve judgement until I've seen more in the series. I do hope they did not show the best one first to "hook" viewers.

Finally, my old Dad was a real life DelBoy. Spent most of his life working hard trying not to... work hard. Here he is with his Mini Van... which has one more wheel than the Reliant. :~

Thanks to the internet, I found out my father's Talbot London he had in 1950s is still alive and well. The family had split up by then and the family home was sold. He bought a car. Spent many happy days in that little open top tourer. Not only is it still around, but it is in remarkably good shape. My brother and I shuttled between single parents. Deep joy.

Over on another car web site, where personal registrations and Dads' car were being discussed, I mention the easy to remember reg-plate of the Talbot London. It has some of my initials. Someone doing a search on that reg-no having seen that car and needed more information, got in touch with me and supplied this image showing the car in fine shape :~

Funny old game folks and their cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to MGJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 20th June 2019, 08:37   #17
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 1,670 Times in 1,007 Posts

Top Gear, Enjoyed it. FF wanting to "adjust himself" left me and the missus laughing

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote