Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th January 2014, 20:05   #1
MrStu
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+ mk2

Default Airbag Fault Message Centre

I can find references to airbag warning lights, but that's not my problem. I get a message in the message centre saying there's an airbag fault when I start the car, the message then disappears and doesn't come back. The airbag warning light isn't lit.

Is there a problem, and any suggestions on a fix? I don't remember it doing this before, but I've only had the car 2 weeks and was focussing on a locking/alarm problem before.

MOT on Monday :-/
MrStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:10   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

How long does the light come on for, Could it be just the self test? Is it the airbag logo or an error

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:13   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

It isn't unknown for the less scrupulous to tamper with the airbag warning light, it should come on when you turn the ignition on before starting the car then go out again after a few seconds (self test). If a fault is present the airbag fault message will come up on the message centre after starting the car then go out but the airbag light itself should come on and stay on. The fact the message is coming up but not the airbag light leads me to think it has been tampered with?

This could cause you a problem with the MOT.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 4th January 2014 at 20:20..
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:14   #4
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

If the airbag icon fault is displayed in the upper message centre, it will then extinguish and the airbag light will remain illuminated in the lower display.

That is how the function works on these cars.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:19   #5
MrStu
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+ mk2

right, i'll pop out and check if the little warning light comes on too

*scampers off*
Old 4th January 2014, 20:27   #6
MrStu
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+ mk2

Great, I don't get the airbag or the seatbelt lights when I start the car. I guess someone's tampered with them? How do I untamper them?

The car's actually being MOT'ed by the guys I bought it from, should make a fun conversation.
Old 4th January 2014, 20:29   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

So the top display says there is a fault but the lower warning light doesn't illuminate? If so I would think the first thing is a new cluster. You may not have seatbelt warning fitted

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:33   #8
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

That light should remain illuminated if the message centre gives the fault icon. One more test if you don't mind. Pop outside again and tell us if you get the lower airbag light illuminated as soon as you turn the key with the rest of the lights.

The seatbelt light only works if you have the correct seatbelt pretentioner which was for Euro markets.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:38   #9
MrStu
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+ mk2

that's the test I did, I turn the key, all the right lights come on, except the airbag one, I go on to start the car, the lights go out, and I get the infocentre message about the airbag fault. But still no airbag warning light.

It sounds like it's been tampered with, but I'm not going to be ripping my dashboard to check tomorrow.

I'll be having words with these guys as they were the last garage to MOT it.
Old 4th January 2014, 20:42   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

As Sworks and pab say don't worry about the seatbelt light. I repeat my suspicion that the airbag light has been tampered with. Either the airbag light LED has been removed (doubtful), covered with tape (possible) or the space between the LED and indication is blocked by something (again possible). Which ever it is it does mean you have an airbag fault.

If you've only had the car two weeks and as it's being MOT'd by the garage you bought it from you must have some kind of warranty.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote